Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roughest pub you have ever been in?

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Weve all been in one sometime or another.
Either on an away trip with the Albion or visiting family/friends in another area.
Ive been in a few over the years but im racking my brains to find the worst.
Can you help!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
Airborne Inn, Aldershot.

Para boozer...nuff said!

Quickest pint I have ever had!!!

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I couldnt answer that, it wqs when I was in the Forces and based in Aldershot.

Just avoid any pub with the flying pegasus used for signage!

Trust me!

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Not with the Albion, but before a football game in Scotland. It was the day of the Cup Final and I was on my way to see the mighty Hearts destroy the Huns at Parkhead, Hampden Park was closed for rebuilding so they held the Cup Final in the East End instead. I had arrived in Glasgow with a killer of a hangover after a stellar Friday night out in Auld Reekie and decided that my body needed refreshing a little before the game. Walking towards the ground I spied a building with a Tennants sign over the door, a fair indication that alcohol would be served there.

I wouldn't describe it as a pub, not in the English sense, but it was a drinking establishment nonetheless. There were no windows on the place, on entry you walked down a sort of corridor and then into a large room with a few pool tables and a bar. I ordered a pint and surveyed the scene around me, it was less than pleasant, there was an unhealthy mixture of the local neds and Hearts fans on the way to the Final (no Rangers whatsoever, they had to take a different route to the ground and to be fair they wouldn't have been at all welcome).

During the time it took me to consume my pint I was just hoping that nobody spoke to me, being found out as a Sassenach in the wrong pub might have meant the difference between life and death. My cue to leave was when a fight broke out...between the bar staff...they had been arguing amongst themselves for sometime before it turned to fisticuffs. On leaving I noticed that the building next door was a doss house, I am guessing that this provided their regular clientele on non Cup Final days.

To be fair it was probably the roughest place I have ever been to, I was frightened for my life and more than a little worried about making the trip back to the station after the game. I needent have worried, Hearts did the biz and we were beseiged by happy Celtic fans wanting to shake our hands, making the trip home slightly less precarious than it might otherwise have been.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Went to see a band a while ago at the Peel in south London.All the windows are boarded up and painted with a nice 'lead effect' painted in :lol: absolute roughest looking area you could imagine.I did wonder whether or not to go in or do a quick runner.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
cant remember the name but was with family in Liverpool about 5 years ago in the toxteth area. a pub that resembled the rovers in corrie - end of a terraced road. half way though the first pint a fight broke out.. made basra look like a civilised place

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Was warned SERIOUSLY against even going into the Bendigo Arms in Nottingham one weekend many moons ago. I mean, it had a statue of a prize-fighter on the roof FFS. Tho sadly, with drink taken, me and me Kiwi mate Jim thought it might be a good idea to gatecrash a wedding reception there. I had just about enough self-preservation instinct to skulk quietly in a corner. Looked up and there's me mate slow-dancing with the bride's mother :eek:

Er, time to go, Jim...

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
That one at the bottom of Holland Road.

Gordon the Gopher

Jul 16, 2003
Hove
The Trafford Manchester back in the late 80s. Roughest looking barmaid I'd ever seen!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Which brewery is it?

I wouldnt swear to it but I believe that it is owned by a company called Admiral Inns who also had the Snipe in Carden Avenue, which is now upTo Let on a short term lease.

The chap who had the lease on The Cricketers in Burgess Hill( Trevor Baker) which was Enterprise Inns (ex Intrepeneur) enquired about The Hikers Rest so it may have been owned by them.

The worst pub I have ever been in was The Addington in New Addington in the 70s where the customers ran the pub and on a Friday at 5 pm a group used to go in and undo their trousers get out their weapons and aim at the optics anybody who hit the nominated bottle had free beer for the evening from his mates. The manager was shit sacred to do anything about it but he only lasted about 6 months.

Last edited:

steward 433

Back and better
Nov 4, 2007
Brighton
I wouldnt swear to it but I believe that it is owned by a company called Admiral Inns who also had the Snipe in Carden Avenue, which is now upTo Let on a short term lease.

The chap who had the lease on The Cricketers in Burgess Hill( Trevor Baker) which was Enterprise Inns (ex Intrepeneur) enquired about The Hikers Rest so it may have been owned by them.

Is he any relation of Martin Baker? as i know Martin has a couple of pubs in Brighton but not which ones

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here