Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ross leaves the BBC

I think DB is the best radio presenter ever but he always appears to me, a bit lost on TV.

Agree, think he used to the have the R2 Saturday morning slot prior to Mr Ross. I am not afraid to admit that I do enjoy Ross' radio show but his chat show (and indeed chat shows in general) leave me cold. Also not afraid to admit that I like Chris Evans as well.

Can I start a conspiracy theory? Reckon it was agreed that Ross would not have his contract renewed when the "Manuel" affair blew up but that to save face (and the BBC avoiding a possible court case for terminating his contract early) it was agreed to do it this way with Ross knowing that one of the other Channels would snap him up, albeit with a drop in money which I am sure he can afford.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Seems I am the only one here that is sad to see the news. I like Ross and in particular his Friday Night Show. Thought it was particularly good the other day with Wogan, Button and Agassi all on.

Nope, like the Friday night show and dread to think what will replace it. Norton is shocking and well Piers Morgan...
Personally hope he gets a Friday night or similar show somewhere else where the BBC don't control everything to be said and the Mail jump on every swear word or similar

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Hahaha. Ross gets paid £6m a year by the Beeb. Out of a total expenditure of £4.3 BILLION. On a full colour licence (£143.50) that would mean a cut of 20p. Fantastic.

If your number s are right wtf is the BBC doing with £4.3bn of taxpayers money?

Does this include the revenue they receive from advertising, merchandise and selling programmes/franchises around the world?

Presumably it doesn't include the taxpayers money that the Foreign Office provide to the BBC for the neo Imperial World Service either?

Let the BBC fend for itself then we can see whether £6m contracts are the market rate.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Anyone agree that David Mitchell would be a good replacement for Ross's Friday night show?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone agree that David Mitchell would be a good replacement for Ross's Friday night show?

no, Mitchell is an anal public schoolboy with a big hooter and a nasal whine

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lets be honest, there are a number of good chat show style presenters that are entertaining, such as Ross, Norton, Vaughan and Chris Evans. They are not stand up comedians and don't, as far as I can tell, pretend they are. If you don't like chat shows then it doesn't matter who hosts them, you aren't going to like them so switch over. There is plenty of choice. I think the advantage Ross has over the others is that he can draw A list celebs such as Tom Cruise, Barbara Streisand, Agassi etc and they all seem to enjoy being on the show and in most cases, having the mick taken out of them.

At the end of the day, there is plenty of channels to chose from and if you feel it is all beneath you then turn the telly off and pick up a book and read. Simple as.

HarryNT

Kele is God
Dec 15, 2009
Lets be honest, there are a number of good chat show style presenters that are entertaining, such as Ross, Norton, Vaughan and Chris Evans. They are not stand up comedians and don't, as far as I can tell, pretend they are. If you don't like chat shows then it doesn't matter who hosts them, you aren't going to like them so switch over. There is plenty of choice. I think the advantage Ross has over the others is that he can draw A list celebs such as Tom Cruise, Barbara Streisand, Agassi etc and they all seem to enjoy being on the show and in most cases, having the mick taken out of them.

At the end of the day, there is plenty of channels to chose from and if you feel it is all beneath you then turn the telly off and pick up a book and read. Simple as.

Agreed. People on here have been in general pretty negative about him but the fact remains he is one of the most popular men on television. The success he has had speaks for itself.
I judge how good a presenter is by whether or not they are the main reason I watch the show. With regard to Friday Night with Jonathon Ross, Ross is the main reason I watch it. Same with Top Gear, Clarkson Hammond and May are the main reason I watch it.
Johnathon Ross :thumbsup:

SICKASAGULL

Aug 26, 2007
Hungry Joe is spot on, Ross considered himself untouchable,think he was offered a far lower salary with the offer that we could walk.
I understand he is looking at the USA, anywhere outside of UK will do.

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
i wouldnt be surprised if the Beeb were to eventually scrap a chat show in that slot. ITV have got Paul O'Grady on big money to rival Ross but now Ross is leaving i doubt the beeb will throw anywhere near his salary at someone else in the long run after the new host fails to win the ratings.

If your number s are right wtf is the BBC doing with £4.3bn of taxpayers money?

Does this include the revenue they receive from advertising, merchandise and selling programmes/franchises around the world?

Presumably it doesn't include the taxpayers money that the Foreign Office provide to the BBC for the neo Imperial World Service either?

Let the BBC fend for itself then we can see whether £6m contracts are the market rate.

Sorry missed this yesterday. My numbers came from wikipedia, but I've checked them below

BBC - Annual Report and Accounts 2008/09 - BBC Executive: financial highlights

Income for 08/09 £4.6bn of which the majority (it is not clear from that page exactly how much, but I'm sure it's in the accounts somewhere) is from the license fee. And they manage to spend pretty much all of it as well!

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Sorry missed this yesterday. My numbers came from wikipedia, but I've checked them below

BBC - Annual Report and Accounts 2008/09 - BBC Executive: financial highlights

Income for 08/09 £4.6bn of which the majority (it is not clear from that page exactly how much, but I'm sure it's in the accounts somewhere) is from the license fee. And they manage to spend pretty much all of it as well!

No problem , I am familiar with the numbers, you will note in the 'Notes to the financial statements' that the Govt pays the BBC £300m for the World Service, so this is definitely Taxpayers Money, and what is it for?

As for the licence fee, do you not think its a 'tax'? If it was a one off licence fee for buying a TV fair enough, but not an ever increasing yearly fee.

Technology and the global media mean we should not have to be forced to continue to pay for a service as archaic and out of touch as the BBC.

That's freedom of choice, some people want Eastenders, Strictly and Graham Norton, I would rather eat my own spinal chord.

You will also note that the BBC pay out £120m of the licence fee to track the non-payers down, that's approx 2.5m a week, so someones making somewhere. What a swizz.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Word.

With a slight reservation about his Film stuff - but there are other people who can do that.

Actually don't mind his Friday night show (though not crying into my pillow that it's ending), but the film prog' is bollocks...hardly ever agree with his over-polished, soulless reviews.

Give me Kermode + 2 on a revamped hour long chatty alternative to the tired old format anyday.

You list'nin' Beeb?!!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No problem , I am familiar with the numbers, you will note in the 'Notes to the financial statements' that the Govt pays the BBC £300m for the World Service, so this is definitely Taxpayers Money, and what is it for?

As for the licence fee, do you not think its a 'tax'? If it was a one off licence fee for buying a TV fair enough, but not an ever increasing yearly fee.

Technology and the global media mean we should not have to be forced to continue to pay for a service as archaic and out of touch as the BBC.

That's freedom of choice, some people want Eastenders, Strictly and Graham Norton, I would rather eat my own spinal chord.

You will also note that the BBC pay out £120m of the licence fee to track the non-payers down, that's approx 2.5m a week, so someones making somewhere. What a swizz.

Do shut up. He has shown from Peep Show and his time on many comedy quiz panels that he is a very funny man :clap2:

Eastenders, Strictly and Graham Norton are not the only shows they do. The BBC produces dramas like Spooks, Hustle, Silent Witness, Survivors and Being Human. Period dramas like Canford and family viewing like Merlin, Dr Who and Robin Hood. They produce the best childrens television where as commercial stations just seem to be wall to wall cartoons. The BBC has the numerous radio stations to suit most tastes and then there is of course the BBC website. Now, if there is nothing on the BBC that interests you at all, then go ahead, eat your spinal chord. The BBC will be missed far more than your good self.

With regard to the £120m they pay out, does it say how much they recoup in fines etc?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Eastenders, Strictly and Graham Norton are not the only shows they do. The BBC produces dramas like Spooks, Hustle, Silent Witness, Survivors and Being Human. Period dramas like Canford and family viewing like Merlin, Dr Who and Robin Hood. They produce the best childrens television where as commercial stations just seem to be wall to wall cartoons. The BBC has the numerous radio stations to suit most tastes and then there is of course the BBC website. Now, if there is nothing on the BBC that interests you at all, then go ahead, eat your spinal chord. The BBC will be missed far more than your good self.

With regard to the £120m they pay out, does it say how much they recoup in fines etc?

No your right, there's the variation of Doctors, Casualty and Holby, comedies like My Family, Big Top and Little Miss Jocelyn, Dont forget the quality of So you think you can dance'.

No doubt you are happy to ignore freedom of choice, you know like that oft used word democracy. You love the BBC you can pay for it, I would rather not. If there's a channel/programme worth watching I would be happy to pay for that. That's progression and dinosaurs like you need to embrace the future.

If you check the published data on employees, 106 of the most senior managers earn over 21m between them (or 150,000 licence fees), and their expenses alone were £180,000 in 2009/10. I note the pension pot is already in excess of £8bn, nests well feathered eh.

I bet you hate the bankers too!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No your right, there's the variation of Doctors, Casualty and Holby, comedies like My Family, Big Top and Little Miss Jocelyn, Dont forget the quality of So you think you can dance'.

No doubt you are happy to ignore freedom of choice, you know like that oft used word democracy. You love the BBC you can pay for it, I would rather not. If there's a channel/programme worth watching I would be happy to pay for that. That's progression and dinosaurs like you need to embrace the future.

If you check the published data on employees, 106 of the most senior managers earn over 21m between them (or 150,000 licence fees), and their expenses alone were £180,000 in 2009/10. I note the pension pot is already in excess of £8bn, nests well feathered eh.

I bet you hate the bankers too!

So are you saying that you never watch any of the BBC channels or listening to any of the radio stations? Just a question like. Personally not fussed by the license fee because I listen to Radio 1 over its commercial rivals because of the lack of adverts and the BBC also produce some good programs which for a small amount in reality a month isn't bad value when you compare it to Sky or whatever.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here