Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ron Pavey, a true Albion legend

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Hey Donna, Thanks for posting.
We are all gonna miss your Grandad. You can see how much people thought of him from the messages here. I'm glad to have known him, and am sorry to hear this sad news.
Pass on my condolences to your family for me.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well dressed, polite and good natured. This is how I remember Ron. RIP.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
Very sad news. I lived next door to him, his parents -Mary and Wilf - and sister Brenda in Whitehawk Avenue. Such a nice man - last saw him at Eastbourne when Stevenage Boro played them in the FA Trohpy some 4 seasons ago. Condolences to his family. Mrs Boroseagull (Barbara nee Sutton).

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
:angel: RIP

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
A true gentleman man looked after all the seagull lottery agents who where fans trying to raise money for the club, not bad cricketer either, on dogey pitch at Henfield nice location,Kemery and Hassocks rules o.k also the ice rink was a little bit on the small side @ the Sussex HQ Sunday league Ron was gentlemen> A lot of our fans will not remember him but he was a very important part of the club history before (archer) God bless and my thoughts be with his family.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He put 100% into everything he did, and enjoyed life to the full. It's a shame there aren't more like him.

stephen.pavey

Feb 15, 2009
Thank You

We would like to say a very big thank you for the kind words and affection shown by so many people when remembering my Dad, Ron Pavey. Reading your wonderful comments and memories has given his wife, Rosemary, and all of our family great comfort at this very sad time. My Dad was a modest man and I know he would have been greatly moved by everyone's warm recollections.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Never actually met him, but he seemed to be a force that kept the Albion running. A midfield workhorse that generally goes unnoticed. Another name to add to those legends who sweated blood and tears for the cause and deserves a fitting memorial at Falmer Stadium.

Big Biff

Big Biff
Feb 12, 2009
Southwick
Ron Pavey - a local football legend

Hello Everyone

I would like to echo Donna's words, Ron was my Uncle and a very large influence in my life who will be greatly missed. I know that Ron was well respected in Sussex but the amount of tributes is overwhelming and very touching.

The family have been very touched by all the kind words and on behalf of the family again thank you all very much.

God Bless "The Dean" :clap:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I've been out of touch and consequently I've only just heard about this; needless to say I'm deeply saddened. Like others I was a Seagulls lottery agent back in the 1970s and met Ron on several occasions. He was always polite, friendly and more than happy to take time to talk about football in general and the Albion in particular - even to a lowly schmuck such as myself. In the 1970s his half-time pitch announcements (where he did the matchday draw and gave out details of the next Seagull Special train) were an enjoyable part of the Goldstone match experience.

Like others he was DISGRACEFULLY treated by the club during the dark, dark years of Archer, Stanley and Bellotti and I hope the current reigime made it up to him. Also, sadly, he joins the too-long list of people who will never see us play in our new home.

I'm pleased to hear there was an impeccably-observed minute's silence before the Carlisle game; it was the least he deserved. (Thankfully it wasn't one of those dreadful, cop-out "minute's applause". I'm sure Ron, being old-school, would have appreciated that).

The Albion and Sussex football have lost a great servant. My condolences to the family, I'm pleased they've read this thread and know how much he was loved.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Two personal recollections of Ron; firstly, as a cornerstone of the Goldstone matchday experience - his halftime announcements always signalled by a precautionary two blows into the dodgy mic before a deafening "Good Afternoon everybody!" had us all spilling our Bovril.

Secondly, a couple of years ago, when hunting down anecdotes about 'Sussex by the Sea' and what it means to Albion people, I chanced a call to Ron at his Somerset home. He generously gave me a half-hour that just flew by, filled with recollections of his time at the Albion, of the Goldstone's greatest days, and of the people who'd obviously made it all so memorable for him.

As others have said, a true gentleman and stalwart man of Sussex... one of that rapidly dwindling band of football people motivated solely by dedication to their sport, passion for their club and love of their county. Overlaid with a generosity of spirit that comes not from manuals, seminars and clipboards. But from the man himself.

RIP Ron.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Two personal recollections of Ron; firstly, as a cornerstone of the Goldstone matchday experience - his halftime announcements always signalled by a precautionary two blows into the dodgy mic before a deafening "Good Afternoon everybody!" had us all spilling our Bovril.

Secondly, a couple of years ago, when hunting down anecdotes about 'Sussex by the Sea' and what it means to Albion people, I chanced a call to Ron at his Somerset home. He generously gave me a half-hour that just flew by, filled with recollections of his time at the Albion, of the Goldstone's greatest days, and of the people who'd obviously made it all so memorable for him.

As others have said, a true gentleman and stalwart man of Sussex... one of that rapidly dwindling band of football people motivated solely by dedication to their sport, passion for their club and love of their county. Overlaid with a generosity of spirit that comes not from manuals, seminars and clipboards. But from the man himself.

RIP Ron.
Made me smile that - brought back great memories of the Goldstone.

Lets hope the team can give Ron something to smile about tonight. :albion2:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
From the club site.

Details have now been confirmed for the funeral of former Albion chief-executive Ron Pavey, who died recently after a long illness.

The service will take place at 1.30pm on Monday 23rd February at Cheltenham Crematorium.

Flowers have been requested from family only, but supporters are invited to make a donation to MacMillan Cancer Support if they wish.

Crematorium Details

Cheltenham Crematorium
Bouncers Lane
Cheltenham
GL52 5JT

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here