Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ron Pavey, a true Albion legend

His was an enormous and honourable contribution to the club's history. ...............

There was a thread the other day about naming the stands at Falmer; there are, of course a number of worthy candidates but, I for one, would not complain if there were to be a Ron Pavey Stand.

RIP and thank you Ron.

Well said.
The last time I saw Ron was at my dad's funeral in 2003; we all went back to Hangleton Manor afterwards and he gave me a extensive ribbing for not going to the Albion regularly.
If there was ever someone (apart from DK) who should be commemorated at Falmer then it's Ron Pavey.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
My first occasion to talk to Ron was back in the eighties when I wrote to the Argus complaining that the terracing on the east Tertace was crumbling and the club should spend some money instead of putting up razor wire , to actually repair the terrace. I recived a call from Ron in the evening and we spent a good hour debating all things Albion.

He remained a friend and we met on many occasions. I also knew Harry Tharme ( the Argus article above) who also passed away not that many years ago. Harry's son kevin is one of the School coaches employed by the Albion and a top top bloke. I also played in Noel Bennet's 11 which him and Henry Wood was involved in at the time

The last time I met Ron was in the queue for the till at M&S at Holmbush. He was behind us, and I turned around and said.." morning Ron" and he looked at me, and after what must have been 10 years since I last saw him, he said "hello david". I was absolutely amazed he remembered who I was as he wasn't the best of health. We had a chat about the Albion ( hacking off people in the queue) and Falmer and the old days and on the way out, his wife caught me and said how although his health was going he still loved the Albion and she was so happy when people came up and talked to him about sport.

he was a true gent and Sussex football man through and through and one of a dying breed of gentlemen.

God bless Ron and thanks for the memories.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
My abiding memory of Ron was his away day trips up and down the train making sure everyone was behaving and if you had any problems he would try his best to sort them, he was one of the world nice guys.
RIP Ron and thanks

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
When I lost my eye in Turkey (at the Turkey v England match) back in 1993 Ron Pavey came round to see me a few days after I returned to the UK and kept in contact with me after that for a couple of years to check on my progress. He was such a great bloke and so passionate about Sussex football. A sad loss. RIP Ron

Mark R

Last edited:

legalseagull

Feb 7, 2004
brighton
Condolences to Ron's family, he was a close friend and colleague to my late husband Jock. Myself and the girls have good memories of some of laughs shared.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
He remained a friend and we met on many occasions. I also knew Harry Tharme ( the Argus article above) who also passed away not that many years ago. Harry's son kevin is one of the School coaches employed by the Albion and a top top bloke.
I was in the same form at Varndean with Kevin Tharme , if my memory serves me right , Ron was Kevin's uncle.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I used to be a lottery collector back in the 70's so knew Ron as a dedicated and amiable bloke. He represented the club as a true professional both in the office and on the seagulls specials. Everyone who travelled on the trains used to acknowledge him when he passed through the carriages and he always had time to chat to people who wanted to engage him in conversation. Although 300 miles away from home I will still be observing a minutes silence on Saturday at 3 o'clock. When they name the family enclosure at Falmer it would be fitting if it was named after Ron.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I never knew all this about him so it's fascinating to find out just what a great servant to sport the man was. I didn't know him as well as many on here but his smiling presence was an absolutely inextricable part of a Goldstone matchday in my youth, whether sorting stuff out around the tunnel or in the club shop (and how good were those packed out moments in there shortly before a game, eyeing up the mugs, pens and sweatshirts but always only buying a programme).

You can only imagine how many separate chores he must have been sorting out behind the scenes at the club every day; but he never came across as anything other than a hugely friendly and helpful presence - along with the more celebrated players and managers, an absolute icon for me of an entirely happy and carefree Goldstone era, years before the onset of the Dark Days And All That which ended it all.

Saturday's minute's silence or applause doesn't seem quite enough to me but it's a very good start with which to commemorate a lengthy contribution to Sussex sport. Nice one Ron.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
My abiding memory of Ron is reading out the lottery results at half-time in his traditional rain coat and trilby hat. I will always associate him with the original shop at the back of the West Stand and for some reason with the ABC halftime score boards that used to be around the pitch.
I imagine he will have a memorial service as there are so many who would wish to pay their respects.
RIP Ron.

PG

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
For those of us who went to the Goldstone regularly in the 60s, 70s and 80s, Ron Pavey was the Albion - or at least the public face of the club.

What sad news and, as others have mentioned, it's particularly poignant that he didn't get to watch a match at Falmer.

RIP Ron

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I remember him having to have a word on many occasions to some of the more energetic young fans on the Seagull Specials.
He was a nice chap and a great Albion man.

Golden Oldie

Feb 10, 2004
As everyone else has said, a really nice man, totally committed to the Albion, and to Sussex football and cricket generally.
Somehow a minutes silence on Saturday seems more appropriate than applause - more meaningful.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
R.I.P.

An Albion legend and seriously nice man.

I'll never forget that he phoned me personally in the 80s after I'd complained about a policeman in the North Stand who'd punched a fan in the face without provocation. Sussex Police never even acknowleged the letter, but Ron spent 20 minutes on the phone dealing with the issue and apologising for the copper's behaviour. That's real customer service. On that occasion, and the several other times I met him later, he was a great ambassador for the club.

He fully deserves the respect of a minute's silence, rather than the minute's applause which is such a meaningless replacement.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here