Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

roman polanski

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Would all this uproar from the French and Polish Governments been so audible if the person in question wasn't a famous Polish/French resident but instead a Polish plumber from a dodgy part of Paris. Of course not. Roman is just a peado who did a plea bargin and then skipped the country to avoid any further attempts to arrest him for the buggering of a 13 year old girl who he had to drug first and forgot to get her consent.

Time should never be an excuse not to ensure people face trial for their crimes, otherwise we would have not bothered with the Nuremberg trials

I agree with the sentiment of your post 100%, but as a bored pedant, I feel I must point out at the Nuremberg were held immediately after WW2, so are not the best example.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The key here is that Polanski was found guilty, then did a runner to avoid US justice. Everybody knows he's done wrong, yet he hasn't paid for his crime. That HAS to be wrong.

Both Ronnie Biggs and Roman Polanski knew they were guilty but fled to avoid justice, and it is surely ABSOLUTELY crucial to demonstrate that factors such as advanced age, illness or even the victim's viewpoint will not prevent the course of justice.

We don't want criminals thinking if they can make it past 70 then they're safe; surely the prospect of your sentence starting at that age and that you could die in prison builds up the deterrent?

Indeed, guilt does not pass with age, he did the crime and was convicted and he should do the time. End of

Last edited:

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
I agree with the sentiment of your post 100%, but as a bored pedant, I feel I must point out at the Nuremberg were held immediately after WW2, so are not the best example.

Indeed you may. The sentiment was more that trials where held and no matter what or where you were you were bought to justice, maybe the Simon Wiesenthal Trust would be a better example as they to this day still try and bring murderers to book.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Indeed you may. The sentiment was more that trials where held and no matter what or where you were you were bought to justice, maybe the Simon Wiesenthal Trust would be a better example as they to this day still try and bring murderers to book.

If they are dragging 90 year old Nazis throught the courts. Then of course Polanski has to stand trial.

At least those replying to that ridiculous piece are rather more realistic.

This is quality
"The idea that a renowned film director should obey the same laws as everyone else is so self-evidently ridiculous that no-one could possibly believe it. How dare the Californian judicial authorities attempt to enforce a judgement on such a refined intellectual. It's not as if he really did anything bad - just drugged and raped a 13 year old child; a minor matter really. And he's served his time, living in Paris and making all those films; a dog's life obviously. And it may be that the judge changed his mind about the sentence in quite a naughty way. Really Mr Polanski should be awarded compensation for the terrible treatment he has experienced."

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
I agree, reading the comments calmed me down a bit after reading that trashy article. To be honest, I am suprised and disgusted that the Indy even printed it. I may well write a letter of complaint.

I agree, reading the comments calmed me down a bit after reading that trashy article. To be honest, I am suprised and disgusted that the Indy even printed it. I may well write a letter of complaint.

It's rather like the current debate over whether the BNP should be allowed on Question Time; do you give these people a platform or just ignore them?

My personal opinion is that you should allow people these platforms, just so you can highlight how silly/short-sighted their viewpoint is. I think the Indy, by simply having the article there with no commentary, have allowed Weinstein to make himself look very silly.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
It's rather like the current debate over whether the BNP should be allowed on Question Time; do you give these people a platform or just ignore them?

My personal opinion is that you should allow people these platforms, just so you can highlight how silly/short-sighted their viewpoint is. I think the Indy, by simply having the article there with no commentary, have allowed Weinstein to make himself look very silly.

Put like that, you may well be right. :sigh:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here