Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

roman polanski

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
"Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said although Polanski had visited Switzerland in the past, his movements were not known beforehand. This time he was widely billed to be attending the Zurich Film Festival, which is holding a retrospective of his work."

I wonder how many people there are around the world, with passports saying "Roman Polanski" born in Poland etc. etc. The Swiss for years ran a tight shop, you couldn't get in without a passport. Who do they think they're kidding? He was more famous in the 1970's and 1980's than he is now.

Exactly. Something has changed, politically, for this to happen now. Maybe the US has threatened to boycott chocolate or cuckoo clocks.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Did I say it was anything else ?

I may have read it wrong, but you inferred that anally raping and drugging a 13 year old girl would have been ok if the legal age of consent in that country was set at 13, by the use of the words "To put this intp perspective"

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Thanks. So they can't argue that's why they are fighting the extradition.

No it's most likely bloody mindedness. However, the US authorities charges are somewhat undermined when it transpires that the victim wants the charges dropped.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
At least no one has said on this thread 'I'm not condoning anally raping a 13-year-old girl, BUT...'. Not yet, anyway.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I wonder what would have happened to Gary Glitter if this had ben what HE was charged with. My gues is that all the Glitter mania would have been totally "Forgotten".

Have you ever met a woman who admits now to having been a Glitter Girl?:rolleyes:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I may have read it wrong, but you inferred that anally raping and drugging a 13 year old girl would have been ok if the legal age of consent in that country was set at 13, by the use of the words "To put this intp perspective"

You did (typical of the standard of education available to a Palace fan). I was merely replying to Acker79's question.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You did (typical of the standard of education available to a Palace fan). I was merely replying to Acker79's question.

And for the record, my question was to see if the difference in consent age was how france were justifying their position.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
And for the record, my question was to see if the difference in consent age was how france were justifying their position.

To be fair, age is an irrelevance to an extent. If she was 33 and drugged and anally raped it would have been just a bad. He would just have had the title of nonce instead of paedononce.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
To be fair, age is an irrelevance to an extent. If she was 33 and drugged and anally raped it would have been just a bad. He would just have had the title of nonce instead of paedononce.

True, but if france argue that as one of his citizen, the stautory rape charge should be droppped, and the statute of limitation for the french judicial system had expired, their position would have more depth than trying to stick it to the americans.

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
True, but if france argue that as one of his citizen, the stautory rape charge should be droppped, and the statute of limitation for the french judicial system had expired, their position would have more depth than trying to stick it to the americans.

Yes, a very good point.

SurreySeagulls

Jul 9, 2003
Guildford
Would all this uproar from the French and Polish Governments been so audible if the person in question wasn't a famous Polish/French resident but instead a Polish plumber from a dodgy part of Paris. Of course not. Roman is just a peado who did a plea bargin and then skipped the country to avoid any further attempts to arrest him for the buggering of a 13 year old girl who he had to drug first and forgot to get her consent.

Time should never be an excuse not to ensure people face trial for their crimes, otherwise we would have not bothered with the Nuremberg trials

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Perhaps he tried to get away from Switzerland, too...

I had a lovely shot of a plane crashing whilst taking off from a lake, someone just sent me but the f***ing computer won't transfer it!

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Would all this uproar from the French and Polish Governments been so audible if the person in question wasn't a famous Polish/French resident but instead a Polish plumber from a dodgy part of Paris. Of course not. Roman is just a peado who did a plea bargin and then skipped the country to avoid any further attempts to arrest him for the buggering of a 13 year old girl who he had to drug first and forgot to get her consent.

Time should never be an excuse not to ensure people face trial for their crimes, otherwise we would have not bothered with the Nuremberg trials

Good post.

Insel affe

HellBilly
Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Again a good post & the correct answer

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
As to wether he is a recidevist. I dont think it was long after his wife(Sharon TaTe) was raped tortured and murdered by the Charles Manson gang so wether he was totally stable at the time is open to debate.

I still think he should face the consequences of what he has done though.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The key here is that Polanski was found guilty, then did a runner to avoid US justice. Everybody knows he's done wrong, yet he hasn't paid for his crime. That HAS to be wrong.

Both Ronnie Biggs and Roman Polanski knew they were guilty but fled to avoid justice, and it is surely ABSOLUTELY crucial to demonstrate that factors such as advanced age, illness or even the victim's viewpoint will not prevent the course of justice.

We don't want criminals thinking if they can make it past 70 then they're safe; surely the prospect of your sentence starting at that age and that you could die in prison builds up the deterrent?

little al

Crystal Palace fan
Apr 4, 2009
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
As to wether he is a recidevist. I dont think it was long after his wife(Sharon TaTe) was raped tortured and murdered by the Charles Manson gang so wether he was totally stable at the time is open to debate.

I still think he should face the consequences of what he has done though.

It was 10 years after her murder, but even if it was 10 mins, its no defence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here