Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Today I read an interview of Francesco "Ciccio" Caputo (very decent kind of "Championship striker" who probably had his best 2 years while under De Zerbi at Sassuolo.) One line in particular reminded me of something I'd already thought about some time ago. Here's the passage I'm talking about:
In those years at Sassuolo you had your big breakthrough with De Zerbi. Did you expect him to do so well in the Premier League?
“Yes. He lives for football. You can't make him budge from his ideas. He doesn't mince words for anyone, but gets the best out of everyone”.
You also played under Conte, not bad...
“At Bari and at Siena. I also owe him a lot. In some ways, even if they adopt different playing systems, he and De Zerbi are similar”.
And what they're similar in is their very hands-on approach to the team and everything that happens on the pitch, besides also their need for control and their complete obsession with football. They are obviously different people with their own personalities and very different ideas of how football should be played on the pitch, but they both (as also lots of other managers do) put their footballing systems above the players and are quite dogmatic with it.

In my head there's more or less this table (with examples from Italian coaches/managers because I know them better.) It's most likely absolute bullshit but it works for me personally as a basic and generic classification. Lots of young coaches fall into RDZ's category because of Guardiola's influence.
Player-based, man-managerSystem-based, controlling coach
Reactive, pragmaticAllegriConte
Proactive, idealisticManciniDe Zerbi

As I mentioned in a previous comment, this style of unyielding management - like any other - has its pros and cons, and it usually works best with teams that are either a) young, b) without many champions (i.e. players with top-club experience who could still play in top teams), or c) top teams in disgrace who need rebuilding and confidence to climb back up. This is simply because experienced top players are obviously much more confident in their own individual ability and, especially in midfield and attack, often don't appreciate having more freedom taken from them than they're used to.

What I'm getting at is that, without having to become a manager (supervisor) like Allegri or Ancelotti, De Zerbi will still need to learn to become more elastic and adaptable as a coach if he wants to thrive in different environments or even in the evolved forms of the same environment. Guardiola himself has strayed from his original footballing ideas in order to survive at City, learning from his time at Bayern when he had lots of trouble trying to impose them. RDZ at the moment might seem a bit too stubborn and hot-headed for that but he has time, he's young and also smart so I'm hopeful he'll evolve instead of stagnating like Conte.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
i have a worry Levy is waiting for summer - if we don't make Europe I suspect he will make his move for RDZ - with that said In Bloom I trust that he this eventuality covered
De zerbi has managed in the champions League I'm sure he's not that fussed about the Europa !

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Roberto de Zerbi: Why Brighton boss is set to be 'one of the very best'​

Heart and blood - but disappointingly no mention of Big Balls.

1680267067167.png

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Well worth reading………coming from someone as experienced as Lallana it’s incredible really.
He's right, Bloom is a genius and like Lallana, I cant say Id ever heard of him before he was linked here, but boy have we landed on our feet!

Potter was great and it was gutting when he walked out, and that awful feeling of was the bubble going to burst, but what a blessing in disguise........

not sure anyone (except Swansman!), would swap back.

Totally in love with RDZ, his passion and his brand of football.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He's right, Bloom is a genius and like Lallana, I cant say Id ever heard of him before he was linked here, but boy have we landed on our feet!

Potter was great and it was gutting when he walked out, and that awful feeling of was the bubble going to burst, but what a blessing in disguise........

not sure anyone (except Swansman!), would swap back.

Totally in love with RDZ, his passion and his brand of football.
Going to be discussed on TS shortly apparently......

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Why doesn't Thomas Frank and most of the Brentford squad linked with going to Champions League clubs? It's always Brighton!
That has been asked and answered an awful lot of times.
I'd suggest you can probably work it out for yourself, but if not - which is perfectly fine - you will be able to see why from about 15:05 onwards, tomorrow.

Fingers crossed you won't see why they'll be a post ban clamour for Toney.

Reading some of the posts in this thread it's like some posters are desperate for him to actually leave just to prove a point here and feel a little smug about how they were right and he was too good for little old Brighton.

RDZ and Brighton are a great fit for each other. He's under very little pressure, inherited a well drilled squad with bags of talent that have taken to his style of play quickly thanks to the foundations laid by the previous manager. Bloom and Barbs have seen his ambition, what he's producing on the pitch and are tying down the important players with new contracts and I'm sure they're taking on board any targets or areas RDZ thinks we lack strength in depth. Nothing in the way he carries himself or deals with the press has said he wants out, so why think he'd jump at the Spuds job?

All the rest is just nonsense social media chatter. No one apart from Bloom, Barber RDZ and his missus have any idea what is in his contract. So just crack on and enjoy the show, all this speculative chatter on here just feeds mugs like Romano.
Think your probably spot on with this post👍

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I like this bit; ‘An obsessive coach, De Zerbi is always searching for solutions. Rather than just resorting to the transfer market, he wants to help players learn and develop.’
I have seen several posts on NSC suggesting we have to change our model and spend big money to keep RDZ. Firstly, I wouldn’t do that as the club is bigger than any individual. Secondly, it doesn’t appear to be true and may just reflect the wishes of those posters.

Ps please don’t open the link if you are against funding the BBC. That would be sponging wouldn’t it ? :whistle:;)

Last edited:

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Wish they would all just leave us the f*** alone for 5 minutes.

He might be their favourite but probably only until they realise how much compensation they would have to pay (along with his wages). Particularly when the others would not cost compensation.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Eh, I really don't think he'll leave the money heaven that is the PL to come back to Serie A this summer, especially at Inter.
Would Inter be able to afford his compensation? Aren't they in a huge financial mess at the moment?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
are we now saying that an Italian would chose to manage Brighton over one of the biggest clubs in Italy?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here