Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
yes. Remember when we played the ball out from the back every time? It'll be like that. Will rely on Dunk / Webster / Sanchez being skilful enough to keep the ball.

Purely based on a few twitter comments I had worried about that need to constantly play out from the back, and maybe an excessive amount of passing around in defence, as these are tactics we've seen before and can catch you out with speedy strikers ready to pounce. However, I know its only one match, but there's a full match youtube video of Sassuolo vs AC Milan from De Zerbi's last season there, and the tactical specifics mentioned are not as overly used as you might think. Yes there's passing around in the defence to start moves, but not an excessive amount, probably very similar to what we do now. & with regards to the keeper ALWAYS passing out to the centre backs, to the points it predictable, well that wasnt the case in this game either. They would pass it out when needed/possible, but mix it up with a long goalkeeper throw or kick to the wingers at other times. Only one game I know, but shows an ability to mix it up, and not be so stubborn about tactics.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Purely based on a few twitter comments I had worried about that need to constantly play out from the back, and maybe an excessive amount of passing around in defence, as these are tactics we've seen before and can catch you out with speedy strikers ready to pounce. However, I know its only one match, but there's a full match youtube video of Sassuolo vs AC Milan from De Zerbi's last season there, and the tactical specifics mentioned are not as overly used as you might think. Yes there's passing around in the defence to start moves, but not an excessive amount, probably very similar to what we do now. & with regards to the keeper ALWAYS passing out to the centre backs, to the points it predictable, well that wasnt the case in this game either. They would pass it out when needed/possible, but mix it up with a long goalkeeper throw or kick to the wingers at other times. Only one game I know, but shows an ability to mix it up, and not be so stubborn about tactics.

Bloom's people will have analysed his games to death. If he was stubborn about tactics they wouldn't have spoken to him, let alone given him the job. Nothing to worry about here.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Bloom's people will have analysed his games to death. If he was stubborn about tactics they wouldn't have spoken to him, let alone given him the job. Nothing to worry about here.

Yes exactly my thoughts. Either that or he will quickly learn, as Potter did.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
'De Zerbi’s next destination post-Foggia was Palermo. It was not a good first experience of Serie A as he oversaw a seven-game losing streak and failed to win a home game for three months....'

He'll fit in perfectly :lolol:

He'll get the chance to turn around that run of form if it happens. Am I allowed to start a divisive De Zerbi In/Out poll if this happens? :lolol:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Just wanted to say thanks to all the posters who have shared links. It's been fascinating.

Clearly RdZ has an interesting approach and there has been a lot of analysis of it. He excites people that know the game - and is unknown to most British pundits - which all suggests he'll be a great hire!!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Good to hear!

I had allowed myself to be excited by the appointment but had a few reservations as we have improved significantly as a squad since we “pissed around at the back” on a full time basis and was concerned it was the start of it again.

Good to see it’s an option but fluid enough to change!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Maybe it’s the realisation that Gallagher will never play for them again with Potter in charge and the change of development within at Chelsea

***** the lot of them

He is kind of right though. Some of the teams we’ve beaten have been terrible and lost even heavier to other teams after us, but we can only play what’s in front. But I was never getting giddy even after Leicester (again, even more heavily beaten the game after us, much like Man Utd Brentford) - but even so are better than 6 points after 6 games, unlike some clubs

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
He is kind of right though. Some of the teams we’ve beaten have been terrible and lost even heavier to other teams after us, but we can only play what’s in front. But I was never getting giddy even after Leicester (again, even more heavily beaten the game after us, much like Man Utd Brentford) - but even so are better than 6 points after 6 games, unlike some clubs

#TrustTheTracker

Palace are one point BEHIND where they should be given the teams they have played, according to the tracker.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Other than Leics and west ham we've played the 5th / 6th / 10th and 11th teams ! Doesn't sound that easy

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Other than Leics and west ham we've played the 5th / 6th / 10th and 11th teams ! Doesn't sound that easy

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Man Utd have had a big turn around but were terrible in their first 3 games.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I just hope that he can get all of his team in successfully. I still remember that the brains behind Hyypia didn't want to join us and then Sammy Lee did a u-turn as well. Not saying De Zerbi is in the same mold at all, but I'll be happier once all of his coaching team is here.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I just hope that he can get all of his team in successfully. I still remember that the brains behind Hyypia didn't want to join us and then Sammy Lee did a u-turn as well. Not saying De Zerbi is in the same mold at all, but I'll be happier once all of his coaching team is here.

All in town to meet the players this afternoon according to Barber :thumbsup:

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon
very interesting clip from the man himself about why he likes to play from the back. though the entire thread (which is a few tweets in by the time this clip shows up) is a very nice read for anyone sti wanting to know more about how his team's play

[tweet]1572189978356219904[/tweet]

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
"I rather have them receiving the ball on their feet than on their teeth" is wonderful! :lolol:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
'Since my teams have always had quality players, I rather have them receiving the ball on their feet than on their teeth' :bowdown:

*edit* Great minds

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
very interesting clip from the man himself about why he likes to play from the back. though the entire thread (which is a few tweets in by the time this clip shows up) is a very nice read for anyone sti wanting to know more about how his team's play

[tweet]1572189978356219904[/tweet]

I think the my favourite clip or article posted yet. It's straight from the horse's mouth and sounds so perfectly suited to how we play(ed under Potter) that we can hit the ground running and hopefully not have any wobble or blip while he settles in.

I can't wait for the Liverpool game now!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here