Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I am pleased with this aqppointment, hopefully he can get an early result in a difficult set of fixtures to settle things down.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Barbs has just been on 5live and spoke very well - just as expected. Lots of very positive vibes about RDZ and reinforced everything else we’ve gleaned recently. Presser this pm and meets players tm. UTA

I wonder how a press conference works if he still needs a work permit, surely that would be part of his contract so therefore "work"

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
From the Athletic (probably already posted, but anyway...):

The Athletic Daily
20 Sep 2022
Brighton's new head coach Roberto De Zerbi appears to tick all the same boxes predecessor Graham Potter did across his 40 months in charge.

It made sense to the hierarchy that if you had a successful appointment in Potter — who bases his playing style on controlling possession, with an ability to improve players and teams — why not choose somebody like De Zerbi, with a similar track record and principles, to maintain your club's upward trajectory?

Brighton owner-chairman Tony Bloom's data-driven and proactive recruitment policy had identified the 43-year-old Italian as an outstanding candidate among potential successors for the day Potter left, owing primarily to his work over the past four seasons with Sassuolo in Serie A and Shakhtar Donetsk in Ukraine.

A series of character references built up a comprehensive profile of De Zerbi's management style.

On September 8, when Potter's exit to Chelsea was confirmed, Bloom and his executive team made their move.

At the first meeting with De Zerbi, Bloom, chief executive Paul Barber and technical director David Weir were blown away by how much he knew about the evolution in playing style at Brighton under Potter, as well as the players he would have at his disposal.

From that moment, they didn't look beyond De Zerbi, who was a free agent after leaving Shakhtar in July following the Russian invasion of Ukraine. There was no cause to disturb other head coaches catching the eye with impressive work at their clubs, such as Kjetil Knutsen at Bodo/Glimt in Norway or Bo Svensson of Germany's Mainz.

Almost too good to be true isn’t it………he actually did all his homework. Talk about hitting the ground running……..:thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It certainly is an unusual trait in football.

Bielsa is his favorite manager and known to use the same method of studying his potential team for days and days before any interview, might be something De Zerbi picked up from him.

Swanswa chairman Huw Jenkins once travelled to Argentina to go meet Bielsa at his house in the middle of rural nowhere, a nice little two-day journey. Bielsa then sat for about eight hours and, in great detail, described how shite each Swansea player was before telling Jenkins there was never a chance he'd manage that team.

Glad Bloom didnt have to experience a similar thing..

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
6 minutes of De Zerbi Ball

There are clear similarities to how we played under Potter, but with more reliance on short passes, more like early Potter, who added the longer ball into the mix at the end of last season.

I can see some fans getting frustrated as we won't be 'getting it forward' quickly enough for then, and we will concede more goals with the higher risk approach from the back.

Alternatively, I can see some amazing passages of play from the team playing this style.

Lots to be excited about.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bielsa is his favorite manager and known to use the same method of studying his potential team for days and days before any interview, might be something De Zerbi picked up from him.

Swanswa chairman Huw Jenkins once travelled to Argentina to go meet Bielsa at his house in the middle of rural nowhere, a nice little two-day journey. Bielsa then sat for about eight hours and, in great detail, described how shite each Swansea player was before telling Jenkins there was never a chance he'd manage that team.

Hope he doesn't end up like bielsa. Leeds were excruciating to watch at the end of his tenure. Zero defence.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Rude.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Hope he doesn't end up like bielsa. Leeds were excruciating to watch at the end of his tenure. Zero defence.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

I think Bielsa underestimated how challenging both the regularity and pace of games can be on a player. He also overestimated his players ability to play like that year after year. Leeds were 'lucky' in their promotion season in that they suffered very few injuries, likewise in the first season promoted. But then the players started breaking down, the relentless nature of his style and the league program wore them down. I loved watching Bielsa's Leeds for the sheer joy in their game and then watching it unravel was also highly amusing as well. I don't think that De Zerbi will make the same mistakes.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Is this potentially because the defensive players who start the moves will sometimes get caught on the ball?

yes. Remember when we played the ball out from the back every time? It'll be like that. Will rely on Dunk / Webster / Sanchez being skilful enough to keep the ball.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Seen a few mentions of the ‘sole’ being part of his philosophy but can’t seem to grasp what he is referring to. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here