Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'll back you up here, the change in narrative on Sanchez was a complete 180 as soon as he fell out with RDZ. The reality as always is in the grey area between.

I remember posting on here something along the lines of "Sanchez is too casual and makes too many unforced errors to make it at the top clubs" and got absolutely shouted down - what keeper doesn't make the occasional error, said they.

Now if you dare to mention his positive attributes - shot stopping, reflexes and claims (or at least he used to be good at claims when he broke through), you get the opposite.
The change in narrative started when he dropped the ball at Selhurst Park.

It didn’t help when Ben Roberts was whispering in his ear.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree - don't think anybody is trying to get him back though, our goal-keeping situation is fine now (so long as Steele is number 2 GK and not no.1 !)

I'm assuming that Bart still hasn't done anything to make you think he's a better keeper than Sanchez in the last week :wink:

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
The change in narrative started when he dropped the ball at Selhurst Park.

It didn’t help when Ben Roberts was whispering in his ear.

The situation didn't endear Ben Roberts with Chelsea either. Seen a lot of annoyance directed at him today. Brighton tasked Jack Stern to find a suitable goalkeeper and he found Verbruggen. Ben Roberts was given the same task, and just went back to someone he'd worked with before and who seemingly needs to be replaced within the year.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Yup, the perception of Sanchez was certainly Zerbi Cult-related. The same "how can you be such a horrible guy to fall out with such a lovely man as Roberto" bollocks we also heard when Trossard decided he had enough of the grumpy muppet.

Unfortunately, its quite clear that Robert Sanchez is a quite insecure man (look at the cars and the fake 'cool' attitude..) and our previous manager destroyed his confidence to the point where I think he needs to restart his career in a different country.

I see no point in trying to get him back.
Totally agree. He’s still young for a goalkeeper and can have a very good career somewhere. Needs to sort out an attitude that probably came from being so talented as a teenager. Others soon catch up. If his head was right and it wasn’t the fashion for managers to see kicking as so important, he’d be an excellent first choice for many clubs. Apart from the kicking, I doubt he’d have been behind Steele with us. Young goalkeeper dropping the occasional clanger is to be expected.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Yup, the perception of Sanchez was certainly Zerbi Cult-related. The same "how can you be such a horrible guy to fall out with such a lovely man as Roberto" bollocks we also heard when Trossard decided he had enough of the grumpy muppet.

Unfortunately, its quite clear that Robert Sanchez is a quite insecure man (look at the cars and the fake 'cool' attitude..) and our previous manager destroyed his confidence to the point where I think he needs to restart his career in a different country.

I see no point in trying to get him back.
Sanchez was constantly late for training and didn’t understand our patterns of play. That’s why he went. And I have a far better source than you on it.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sanchez was constantly late for training and didn’t understand our patterns of play. That’s why he went. And I have a far better source than you on it.
Fair points, but as #Gabbiano said more succinctly than I could, "The change in narrative on Sanchez was a complete 180 as soon as he fell out with RDZ". A bad trainer maybe, and not happy to play de Zerbiball - but that doesn't make him a shit goalkeeper. On most goalkeeping matrics he was/is pretty good.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Fair points, but as #Gabbiano said more succinctly than I could, "The change in narrative on Sanchez was a complete 180 as soon as he fell out with RDZ". A bad trainer maybe, and not happy to play de Zerbiball - but that doesn't make him a shit goalkeeper. On most goalkeeping matrics he was/is pretty good.
He’s an average top two divisions keeper who got found out in five minutes at Chelsea but might yet make a side a really good stopper. But his attitude was bad way before RDZ. And that’s what got him binned.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Do we need a new first team keeper? None of them feel me with much confidence. It’s one position where a youngster probably doesn’t work in the PL.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Do we need a new first team keeper? None of them feel me with much confidence. It’s one position where a youngster probably doesn’t work in the PL.
Agreed, which is why Verbruggen experiencing a major international tournament is massive for us in terms of bringing him on, the pressure and expectation is far more than anything domestically.

Sanchez was good as a youngster too, then fell apart. Annoyed me as i honestly thought he was going to be one of the best Prem goalies in history after he came in and commanded everything.

Really pisses me off the twats on here that have never seen a f***ing game in the flesh who blame "the cult of De Zerbi" and ignore Sanchez f***ing up for a goal at Old Trafford under their beloved GPot a few weeks before having a mare in RDZ' first game at Anfield, never mind any of the other errors after that (there's a whole compilation knocking about on twitter with the Palace goal being the cream of the crop). And we all saw the prick put it into touch about 10 times in the league cup, nothing to do with RDZ, the bloke just doesn't pass it very well.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Agreed, which is why Verbruggen experiencing a major international tournament is massive for us in terms of bringing him on, the pressure and expectation is far more than anything domestically.

Sanchez was good as a youngster too, then fell apart. Annoyed me as i honestly thought he was going to be one of the best Prem goalies in history after he came in and commanded everything.

Really pisses me off the twats on here that have never seen a f***ing game in the flesh who blame "the cult of De Zerbi" and ignore Sanchez f***ing up for a goal at Old Trafford under their beloved GPot a few weeks before having a mare in RDZ' first game at Anfield, never mind any of the other errors after that (there's a whole compilation knocking about on twitter with the Palace goal being the cream of the crop). And we all saw the prick put it into touch about 10 times in the league cup, nothing to do with RDZ, the bloke just doesn't pass it very well.
Another 180 degree swiveller after de Zerbi (he who cannot be wrong) declared that Sanchez is 'a good goalkeeper but............' devotee then.

Very amusing for me was the Chelsea sheep picking up on the 'Brighton's third choice GK' trope. He never was; he just didn't buy into de Zerbi ball, that's all. An average PL GK? maybe ................. but top level Championship level or above for any unbiassed observer except 'de Zerbi can do no wrong' devotees.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Another 180 degree swiveller after de Zerbi (he who cannot be wrong) declared that Sanchez is 'a good goalkeeper but............' devotee then.

Very amusing for me was the Chelsea sheep picking up on the 'Brighton's third choice GK' trope. He never was; he just didn't buy into de Zerbi ball, that's all. An average PL GK? maybe ................. but top level Championship level or above for any unbiassed observer except 'de Zerbi can do no wrong' devotees.
Spain and Chelsea disagree and probably know a little more about football.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here