Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robert Sanchez to Chelsea for £25m plus add-ons

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
He's been their MOTM for them for the last two matches (in the BBC voting thingy). They might be starting to realise they've got a pretty decent keeper - and no desperate need to go out and find another 'no.1' GK.
Keepers always look better in struggling sides, as they get more saves to make overall.

So glad we got rid

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
So glad we got rid

To me Sanchez always seems like a guy trying to scream & yell at his backs when the communication is lacking. It could be neither or both players fault but it never helps the communication when the keeper is screaming at his backs, "you fool" or something similar.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This. I would also add he’s shit.
Would all those who weren't delighted when our cool as cucumber young GK replaced little Maty, and proved to be a big upgrade, step forward.

No.................I didn't think there'd be any. Still, he did commit the cardinal sin of falling out with RDZ, at a time when RDZ was untouchable and could do no wrong, which coloured some people's opinions. They probably think Trossard and Caicedo are shit too............................

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Would all those who weren't delighted when our cool as cucumber young GK replaced little Maty, and proved to be a big upgrade, step forward.

No.................I didn't think there'd be any. Still, he did commit the cardinal sin of falling out with RDZ, at a time when RDZ was untouchable and could do no wrong, which coloured some people's opinions. They probably think Trossard and Caicedo are shit too............................

Caicedo is a totally different discussion, no fall out with RDZ. A red herring to enhance your argument.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel

Breaking News:

Football fans change their opinion on a player after seeing more performances from him. We’ll have more on this breaking update straight after our reports regarding the religion of the Pope and the defecating habits of bears.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Despite playing for Chelsea he no longer got Spain call ups and definitely wasn't at the Euros.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Breaking News:

Football fans change their opinion on a player after seeing more performances from him. We’ll have more on this breaking update straight after our reports regarding the religion of the Pope and the defecating habits of bears.
Substitute 're-write history' for 'change their opinion' and I'd agree with you!

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Substitute 're-write history' for 'change their opinion' and I'd agree with you!
I'll back you up here, the change in narrative on Sanchez was a complete 180 as soon as he fell out with RDZ. The reality as always is in the grey area between.

I remember posting on here something along the lines of "Sanchez is too casual and makes too many unforced errors to make it at the top clubs" and got absolutely shouted down - what keeper doesn't make the occasional error, said they.

Now if you dare to mention his positive attributes - shot stopping, reflexes and claims (or at least he used to be good at claims when he broke through), you get the opposite.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Coincidence that Bart now has an unspecified injury?

You know what, it really wouldn't surprise me if that scummy club is tapping up even more of our players like that.

Whatever. We've survived them robbing some of our best players already, in the process making us an insane amount of money. We'd survive a few more too, and we'd surely make better use of the money again.

Probably just a coincidence though.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I'll back you up here, the change in narrative on Sanchez was a complete 180 as soon as he fell out with RDZ. The reality as always is in the grey area between.

I remember posting on here something along the lines of "Sanchez is too casual and makes too many unforced errors to make it at the top clubs" and got absolutely shouted down - what keeper doesn't make the occasional error, said they.

Now if you dare to mention his positive attributes - shot stopping, reflexes and claims (or at least he used to be good at claims when he broke through), you get the opposite.
Yup, the perception of Sanchez was certainly Zerbi Cult-related. The same "how can you be such a horrible guy to fall out with such a lovely man as Roberto" bollocks we also heard when Trossard decided he had enough of the grumpy muppet.

Unfortunately, its quite clear that Robert Sanchez is a quite insecure man (look at the cars and the fake 'cool' attitude..) and our previous manager destroyed his confidence to the point where I think he needs to restart his career in a different country.

I see no point in trying to get him back.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yup, the perception of Sanchez was certainly Zerbi Cult-related. The same "how can you be such a horrible guy to fall out with such a lovely man as Roberto" bollocks we also heard when Trossard decided he had enough of the grumpy muppet.

Unfortunately, its quite clear that Robert Sanchez is a quite insecure man (look at the cars and the fake 'cool' attitude..) and our previous manager destroyed his confidence to the point where I think he needs to restart his career in a different country.

I see no point in trying to get him back.
I agree - don't think anybody is trying to get him back though, our goal-keeping situation is fine now (so long as Steele is number 2 GK and not no.1 !)

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
The Sanchez criticism was largely after he - like Ryan before him, went from being a really good keeper (with potential to be world class, as good as Ederson or Allison), to being bang average, regularly making goal-costing mistakes, no longer commanding his area from crosses and, crucially, struggling to play our style that saw us storm into Europe. On top of that he then refused to be a substitute.

He's an idiot. Maybe he'll get his career back on track this season with another new manager, and we'll have a big sell on fee coming out way.

Or maybe his career will continue on its current trajectory. Prat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here