Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Henry Allingham 1896-2009

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
i have the said same book , however the map of the battle of jutland says 31 may-1 june 1916 in mine , was brought for me as an xmas present last xmas , maybe you have an earlier or later edition.

Mine seems to be a first edition hardback. I bought it on eBay. Maybe they did spot it after printing a few and mine is from a batch that was meant to be pulped...

Either way, someone must have got an earful over it.

I hope they give him the send off he deserves.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Nonsense. I suppose you think it's right that that nurse at the Royal Sussex who exposed all the shocking going-ons there was struck off then?

People talk, it's a fact.

No, because that wasn't breaking confidentiality for the sake of blabbing to the press - she was highlighting issues in the hospital that she had seen and the trust had done bugger all about. Confidentiality was maintained to the best of their ability.

Telling the press before telling the family is a clear breach of confidentiality. I wouldn't come on here saying who the two people died in my care this week were because it isn't professional, and it's disrespectful. There are very very clear boundaries in confidentiality, something that you should know about with your journalism!

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
He lived a truly amazing life. The fact that he had a great great great grandchild is beyond belief!

The most bizarre thing about his death, is that just a day or two ago he popped into my head and I had a vision of him passing away. I know that he was very old, so therefore it was well within the realms of possibility. But still...why on earth did something like that just literally pop into my head for no reason?

RIP Henry

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
No, because that wasn't breaking confidentiality for the sake of blabbing to the press - she was highlighting issues in the hospital that she had seen and the trust had done bugger all about. Confidentiality was maintained to the best of their ability.

Telling the press before telling the family is a clear breach of confidentiality. I wouldn't come on here saying who the two people died in my care this week were because it isn't professional, and it's disrespectful. There are very very clear boundaries in confidentiality, something that you should know about with your journalism!

Fair enough. From my point of view, whilst I'd never encourage someone to break confidentiality or anything like that, I wouldn't turn them away if they told me something like that either (and I've no idea if it has happened here).

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
He lived a truly amazing life. The fact that he had a great great great grandchild is beyond belief!

The most bizarre thing about his death, is that just a day or two ago he popped into my head and I had a vision of him passing away. I know that he was very old, so therefore it was well within the realms of possibility. But still...why on earth did something like that just literally pop into my head for no reason?

RIP Henry

He didn't stand a chance once B&H buses put his name on a bus.

Seriously, well deserved rest for the old fella. A true Gent.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I watched a tribute to him on News 24 or BBC News, whatever it calls itself, and I am not too proud to say that tears were rolling down my face. It was doubly moving for me, as they featured a meeting between him and Sergeant Bahadur Dun from the Gurkhas, who won a VC. I met him as a new pupil at Ardingly College, where he was being shown round by one of our House Tutors, who was a retired Army officer, and was awestruck at the sight of him and the medal. A fine, albeit adopted, son of Sussex. RIP.

D

Deleted User X18H

Does anyone know what time Henry's funeral is tomorrow??

Henry Allingham's funeral - Brighton Hove City Council

Henry Allingham's funeral details

Details of the funeral of the world's oldest man, the First World War veteran Henry Allingham, have been released in a statement from St Dunstan's care home in Ovingdean, his last place of residence.

It says: "In accordance with the wishes of Henry's family, a family funeral with military honours will take place at 12 noon on Thursday 30 July at St Nicholas’ Church, Dyke Road, Brighton. The MoD and St Dunstan’s have been assisting in the arrangements for this and in ensuring that Henry is given a fitting tribute.

"Many local people have expressed an interest in paying their respects and have sent thoughtful and touching messages of condolence. As the church has limited capacity, places are to be restricted to invited guests. However, there will be opportunities for members of the public to be involved:

Lining the route

"We would welcome people lining the route to pay respects as the funeral cortege passes. The hearse will set out from St Dunstan’s Centre, Ovingdean at 11.15am taking the route to Marine Parade past the pier onto King’s Road. It will then turning north onto West Street, past the clock tower and onto Dyke Road, before making the final journey to the church.

At the church

"There will be a screen erected in the church grounds to enable people to watch the service and participate from outside the church. Please be in place by 11.30am to minimise any disruption to the service.

Media coverage

"The event will be covered by local and national media, with key regional and national outlets due to broadcast the event live.

Flowers

"Rather than flowers, the family has nominated two charities which people can donate to in memory of Henry:

St Dunstan’s – call 0300 111 2233 or, make tribute online at St Dunstan's Homepage - St. Dunstan's

The Dark Horse Venture, UK registered charity 328662, T: 0151 256 8866

Book of Condolence

"St Dunstan’s will hold a book of condolence in the chapel at their Ovingdean Centre. The book will be available to the public to sign on 23, 24 and 27 July between the hours of 9am and 4pm."

For more information go to St Dunstan's Homepage - St. Dunstan's

Road and Royal Pavilion closures

Traffic could be temporarily disrupted in Brighton city centre during the funeral.

Some roads near St Nicholas’s Church will be closed before, during and after the event with diversions in place.

Traffic could also be slowed as the cortege travels from St Dunstan’s, Ovingdean, along the A259 and West Street.

There is expected to be heavy pressure on Church Street car park as there is also a graduation ceremony happening at the Dome.

The Royal Pavilion will also be closed until 3.15pm on the day as the official wake will take place there. Admission to the wake is strictly by invitation only and the general public are asked not to go there.

Church Street - cul-de-sac section north of the church will be closed from early on Thursday 30 July, from around 9am.

Dyke Road between Upper North Street and Buckingham Road will be closed from approx.9.30am on Thursday 30 July.

Clifton Terrace will be closed from its junction with Dyke Road westwards for approx 30 metres from approx 9.00am.

Dyke Road and Clifton Terrace will be re-opened following departure of the cortege and guests, by around 2pm.

The section of Church Street will re-open around 6pm.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Just read on the Argus website his funeral takes place at Noon tomorrow. St Nicholas Church Dyke Road with large screens outside the church. Lets hope Brighton gives him a good send off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here