Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Henry Allingham 1896-2009

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
RIP Henry, my wife works at St Dunstans and has lookedafter him since he has been there, she at work today so i bet its manic there today, a big loss there cos he was such a great personality there until recently when his health deteriorated. A true British hero.

Stevie Boy

Nov 2, 2004
Horam
RIP Henry, a TRUE hero

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Sad news.

In a time when the words like hero seeming to be losing their meaning as the press and public alike over use them, he reminded us of real heroes, those who fort for and sacrificed their lives for their country and comrades.

We owe so much to people like him, his work to keep the public aware of the death and destruction that took place, i hope, will mean that this will never be forgotten

RIP

Ned

Real Northern Monkey
Jul 16, 2003
At Home
RIP a great man with a great sense of duty.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
RIP Henry, my wife works at St Dunstans and has lookedafter him since he has been there, she at work today so i bet its manic there today, a big loss there cos he was such a great personality there until recently when his health deteriorated. A true British hero.

yeah my mum works at st dunstans aswell and everyone loved him there , got a really good personality and a funny man , true hero :bowdown:

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
apparently the press wernt mean to know about it yet but someone from St Dunstans leaked it to them. His family havnt been told yet as most of them live in America, prob find out from the news!! Having to get extra security there today cos press are going mad there!!!!!

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Sad news.

In a time when the words like hero seeming to be losing their meaning as the press and public alike over use them, he reminded us of real heroes, those who fort for and sacrificed their lives for their country and comrades.

We owe so much to people like him, his work to keep the public aware of the death and destruction that took place, i hope, will mean that this will never be forgotten

RIP

Excellently put.

From the BBC website:

Mr Allingham said he couldn't forget the war even if he wanted to.

"I saw too many things I would like to forget but I never will forget them, I never can forget them," he said.

For decades, he buried his war memories, avoiding reunions and refusing to discuss the events with his family.

But, in 2005, he was persuaded to unveil an RAF memorial in France and decided it would have been disrespectful to his former comrades to refuse.

Even after all he'd witnessed, he was selfless enough to put other people before his own feelings.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
The thing that struck me about Henry Allingham was how incredibly articulate he was for a man of his age. He still had all his marbles and his memory was incredible. He still got out to loads of events even as recently as last month. A real credit to this country, somebody who put the 'Great' into Britain.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
RIP. I wonder if he will get that state funeral that was talked about a while back.

Not sure if he will get a full state funeral, that is normally reserved for Royalty and the like, I would expect him to be sent off in a manner that befits someone who served in the military...if indeed that was his wish.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
apparently the press wernt mean to know about it yet but someone from St Dunstans leaked it to them. His family havnt been told yet as most of them live in America, prob find out from the news!!

It's absolutely shocking if that's true. If it were a member of staff, there should be an investigation into it.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It's absolutely shocking if that's true. If it were a member of staff, there should be an investigation into it.

I would agree with you totally, surely that is a breach of medical confidence...assuming, possibly wrongly, that it was a member of the care staff who leaked it!

Armchair Loyalist

Jul 26, 2004
Not sure if he will get a full state funeral, that is normally reserved for Royalty and the like, I would expect him to be sent off in a manner that befits someone who served in the military...if indeed that was his wish.

I believe that the last survivor of the 1st World War to die will get a full state funeral. Am i correct in thinking Henry was not the last?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here