Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Henry Allingham 1896-2009

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Is Harry Patch still alive...or the bloke who emigrated to Australia many moons ago?

D

Deleted User X18H

Being buried at St Nicholas' off Dyke Road with full military honours I would hope!!

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
he truley was that magnificent man in that flying machine thank you Henry for what you have done for mine and many following generations.
RIP.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Coincidentaly his successors in the armed services nearly a hundred years on marched through some our Sussex towns in the last week.

The human race really doesn't learn, does it?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
I have his book "KItchener's Last Volunteer" sitting next to my desk here waiting to be read. I haven't managed to get past the first page or so where there is a map of the Battle of Jutland that says it happened in 1926 ! I can well imagine that that would have driven Henry crazy - it suggests a real lack of remembering. How the error happened and then didn't get corrected before going to print I'll never know.

Mrs Coach

aka Jesus H. Woman
He was the worlds oldest man for just a month, and sounded like he was ready to go for a while now. A couple of friends of mine met him last year and were suprised by how articulate and with it, this elderly gent was. Sleep well Henry, you deserve a rest now xx

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Perhaps knowing he was the oldest man in the world was a burden for this frail gentleman. RIP.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Just heard an old interview on Radio 1. He was asked the secret about living so long.

He replied something like " Cigerettes, whisky and wild wild women"

Legend !!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Very sad to hear of Henry's passing. Rest peacefully now Sir.

steve-c

I have his book "KItchener's Last Volunteer" sitting next to my desk here waiting to be read. I haven't managed to get past the first page or so where there is a map of the Battle of Jutland that says it happened in 1926 ! I can well imagine that that would have driven Henry crazy - it suggests a real lack of remembering. How the error happened and then didn't get corrected before going to print I'll never know.

i have the said same book , however the map of the battle of jutland says 31 may-1 june 1916 in mine , was brought for me as an xmas present last xmas , maybe you have an earlier or later edition.

its a sad day all the same , henry will be with all the old comrades , he so proudly got us to remember :angel:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here