Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
He's the manager. He has already cited 'footballing reasons' - that's enough. He doesn't have to persuade Rio that he has made the correct decision.

(To the footballing reasons we can now add 'attitude problems - unable to accept authority of the manager').

But, which ever way you look at it Hodgson is managing this situation very very badly. The "football reasons" line is hard to believe and looks very exposed. I had hoped that Hodgson's appointment was going to bring an end to these unnecessary needless side-shows which always follow the England team into tournaments. Sadly it isn't the case.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Rio Ferdinand, a man who thinks that he is WAY more important than he is.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But, which ever way you look at it Hodgson is managing this situation very very badly. The "football reasons" line is hard to believe and looks very exposed. I had hoped that Hodgson's appointment was going to bring an end to these unnecessary needless side-shows which always follow the England team into tournaments. Sadly it isn't the case.

The "footballing reason" Rio wasn't called up is quite simpy that Roy does not want Rio and John Terry in the same dressing room. It would have the potential to destroy any team spirit he is trying to harness going into this tournament, and given the limited ability of this squad, a bit of togetherness and camaraderie is going to be ESSENTIAL.

This wasn't a problem of Roys making. He's just trying to make the best of a difficult situation. He had a choice to pick either one or the other (personally I'd have gone with Rio but thats just my opinion). He's done the RIGHT thing in sticking to that and not bowing to the clamour to chuck Rio in. The press only wanted that so they could analyse them to death and look for the slightest sign of coldness or (as they'd hope) animosity. It would've become its own sideshow and we did NOT need that.

Roys played that one dead right.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
It's only controversial as the public and press will not be happy until an England manager consults with them before making his selection

Age, John terry, attitude, form who knows why he has not be picked but the manager of our national team has chosen to go without him so why not back the managers judgement rather than some whining has been who will not be at the next tournament anyway

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
We don't know what team HR *might* have picked *if* he had become England manager but he surely would not be getting the same critism if he had made exactly the same choices as RH

Of course he would. It's the england manager, people will always look to find something to criticise them for.

If Roy had come out and said "I can't have Rio and Terry in the same team, so for footballing reasons I'm picking Terry" he probably wouldn't have issues. But by denying (or refusing to acknowledge) the Terry/Rio issue had any impact on his selection, he is giving the media (and some fans) a reason to criticise him. By stressing 'football reasons' he looks like a liar every time he picks a reserve kid from a mid table team as opposed to an experienced, decorated defender from this season's runners up (on goal difference) who is well liked by most of the england squad.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Or could it just be that Roy Hodgson just doesn't rate Rio Ferdinand that highly?

This, plus Fergie didn't help his cause saying fitness wise Rio can't handle 2 games a week. Though that was probably a ploy to keep him out of the Euros and fresh for next season.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Maybe he thinks Rio is now shit and so 'football reasons' was a polite way of not hurting Rio's feelings even more.

pigbite

Sep 9, 2007
Of course he would. It's the england manager, people will always look to find something to criticise them for.

If Roy had come out and said "I can't have Rio and Terry in the same team, so for footballing reasons I'm picking Terry" he probably wouldn't have issues. But by denying (or refusing to acknowledge) the Terry/Rio issue had any impact on his selection, he is giving the media (and some fans) a reason to criticise him. By stressing 'football reasons' he looks like a liar every time he picks a reserve kid from a mid table team as opposed to an experienced, decorated defender from this season's runners up (on goal difference) who is well liked by most of the england squad.

Come on... everyone knows the only way good old 'arry would get serverely criticised this side of the quarter finals is if he completely ballsed everything up. Even our press, the worst press in the world when it comes to supporting the natonal team manager, would still blame everything on the crock of tosh he inherited or some other excuse. Some parts of our press have been gunning for Roy from day one and this will be music to their ears.

Agreed, Harry might have handled it differently and I guess there is room for the sort of straight talking you mention but I think RH has tried to play it with a touch of discretion and been slightly caught out because of the Cahill injury. Does he come out with the only bit of straight talking left after what he has already said or does he just stick to his guns and take whatever the consequences of his decsions are? I for one respect him for the latter and not bowing to the pressure to stir up yet more contention.

Of course the truth is that RF is a class defender with a great history but given the Terry situation I don't think he's not enough of a grown up professional to put what is going on completely to one side for the sake of England. His sulky behaviour proves it. He's also not the player he was. That makes him a liability and for those reasons I'm out.

Dandyman

In London village.
The "footballing reason" Rio wasn't called up is quite simpy that Roy does not want Rio and John Terry in the same dressing room. It would have the potential to destroy any team spirit he is trying to harness going into this tournament, and given the limited ability of this squad, a bit of togetherness and camaraderie is going to be ESSENTIAL.

All the more reason to have left Terry at home. Even apart from the race case he's a vile little summary of many of the things wrong with modern footballers.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
All the more reason to have left Terry at home. Even apart from the race case he's a vile little summary of many of the things wrong with modern footballers.

Agreed. As I said. I'd have had Rio in ahead of Terry, but Roy made his choice and thats that. It was always going to have to be a case of one or the other though, and the spate of injuries have done nothing to change that.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Agree with what you're saying, but maybe the reaction from "his camp" tells us a bit about why he's really left out. Maybe he swans around the place thinking he's the dogs bollocks and has a divine right to a place. If that's the case, then what could Hodgeson have said about his exclusion, "yeah, left him out because he's a bit of an arrogant prick." Naah, much more diplomatic to say "footballing reasons".
Going by englands performances in recent years i would say we have to many players like rio in the dressing room,none show any passion for england end of.

Really wish we would start with the under 21's and build the team for future tournament's:)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.

Leaving one of them at home is the absolute BEST attempt at doing exactly what you were hoping for and bring an end to the needless sideshows. The side show is only rumbling on now because of injuries and Rio's attitude. Roy has been spot-on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Leaving one of them at home is the absolute BEST attempt at doing exactly what you were hoping for and bring an end to the needless sideshows. The side show is only rumbling on now because of injuries and Rio's attitude. Roy has been spot-on here.

I disagree. One had to be left at home and it should have been Terry. Hodgson should have also stated Terry was being left out because he attracts nothing but trouble and controversy. The nation would understand and think it fair and sensible leaving him to get on with the job in peace. Simples.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

apart from trying to prove he shouldnt have been sacked by Liverpool by including so many of their players who aren't good enough or in positions for which there are better players available.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The side show is only rumbling on now because of injuries and Rio's attitude.

..and his refusal to be open and honest with his reasoning. These injuries would not cause the fuss if he had made it clear from the beginning. If he said he wanted to avoid the sideshow/any locker room split by only bringing one of them along and for whatever reason he wants to give (form, injuries, etc) he is going with Terry, then when these injuries occur, people would know he isn't bringing in Kelly because he thinks he is better than Rio.

Incidentally, what has Rio said to exhibit a problem attitude? All I've seen are comments from his agent. His silence is, of course, telling, but perhaps he is on holiday and doesn't want to get involved just yet, and since he's away the press need to go through his agent to contact him and the agent knows rio will talk down the criticism but the agent is letting the story rumble for a while just to get his point across, before rio gets involved. Or perhaps Rio has seen Roy ignore the story and is trying to pay him the respect by also not commenting on it, because if either of them do it becomes a bigger story again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
..and his refusal to be open and honest with his reasoning. These injuries would not cause the fuss if he had made it clear from the beginning. If he said he wanted to avoid the sideshow/any locker room split by only bringing one of them along and for whatever reason he wants to give (form, injuries, etc) he is going with Terry, then when these injuries occur, people would know he isn't bringing in Kelly because he thinks he is better than Rio.

None of this is a problem of Roys making though, it should have been sorted LONG before he had to make his squad selection. The fact that the CPS have indulged Terry to the extent of delaying the case till July has complicated things (we are talking about an incident that happened last October).

Its a shame he's now having to deal with all this crap due to the injury crisis, but for me, he made his choice (JT), and he's right to stick by the principal of (diplomatically) not including Rio with him. The reasons are, quite clearly, he wants a dressing room without the tension those two would have brought. Why do people feel the need for Roy to SPELL IT OUT for people ?

Just get behind the bloke for christs sake. This really is England all over, there always HAS to be a soap opera surrounding it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
None of this is a problem of Roys making though, it should have been sorted LONG before he had to make his squad selection. The fact that the CPS have indulged Terry to the extent of delaying the case till July has complicated things (we are talking about an incident that happened last October).

To an extent, I agree. The FA are also culpable with their insistence that he be stripped of the captaincy because of the legal issues, while allowing him to still be available for selection. But, it is Roy that is coming out saying it's 'football reasons', not the cps or the fa, and Roy could have helped make it a non-issue

he made his choice (JT), and he's right to stick by the principal of (diplomatically) not including Rio with him.

agreed.

The reasons are, quite clearly, he wants a dressing room without the tension those two would have brought. Why do people feel the need for Roy to SPELL IT OUT for people ?

It's not that he's not spelling it out, it's that he is trying to deny it.

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol

Its a shame he's now having to deal with all this crap due to the injury crisis, but for me, he made his choice (JT), and he's right to stick by the principal of (diplomatically) not including Rio with him. The reasons are, quite clearly, he wants a dressing room without the tension those two would have brought. Why do people feel the need for Roy to SPELL IT OUT for people ?

Just get behind the bloke for christs sake. This really is England all over, there always HAS to be a soap opera surrounding it.

IMHO this should have been sorted months ago by the FA. Terry's record for indiscipline (on and off the field) over the years has been shocking. He should have been dragged in to FA headquarters and ordered to retire from international football.

Now Roy has been left with the fallout: Pick one.
Terry is, in purely footballing terms, the best choice.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
He's been playing the odd game at United and going off injured. He isn't worth taking because he might not be able to play all the time and to be honest, he hasn't been great anyway. Roy has done the right thing in not taking him and now everyone gets to see what he is really like, acting like a little kid throwing his toys out of the pram.
Could'nt agree with you more.....

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Why do people say "It's showing disrespect" by not picking Rio....has Rio got the divine right to be picked? Anybody think he has done well but now reaching the end of his international career....time to blood new players.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here