Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So it is "footballing reasons" then. JT is a far better player, and has no footballing related problems (such as a drugs related matter that RF has). If only one player goes, it has to be JT.

Also, JT may be getting a bit "past it", but RF should simply hang up his boots now.

Whether or not he is the better of the two options between him and JT isn't what has set him off. It's the 'down to the bare bones, but still we won't pick the defender who was regularly picked by great manager alex ferguson, champions league winner, premier league winner, fa cup and league cup winner, and world club cup winner rio, instead we'll get the reserve defender (who's closest thing to an accomplishment is being on the bench for their penalty shoot out defeat of a team from the division below) for the team that finished 8th'.

Maybe he can, maybe he can't play every game (he played three games in 8 days three times this past season, Nov, Dec and April). But it's not about whether he can play in every game when you have a 23 man squad. And if we're going to not pick people because of injury worries, Terry shouldn't be in the team because of his injuries towards the end of the season, Scott Parker shouldn't be in the squad. Gerrard is only recently back from injury and was in and out of the livrpool squad towards the end of the season so maybe we shouldn't risk him.

I'm not saying moralee is right to say this now, but rio has been hard done by and more so with every replacement that gets called up, and this will all blow up again if John Terry is found guilty after his court trial. Anyone who thinks Rio wouldn't be in the squad if when the FA stripped Terry of the captaincy they went the whole way and removed him from availability for the England team, or if he had been ruled out yesterday instead of Cahill is being naive.

Falkor

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
comments like this from Fergie dont help “You play something like a game every four days at the Euros and Rio couldn’t do that,” said Ferguson

i think its right his no selected i wouldnt have took Terry,rio or lamps in the first place

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
I would imagine Roy Hodgson might have discussed the problem with his coaches before selecting Kelly............Gary Neville I would think had a say in the matter....intersting

dandanthebrightonfan

Jan 29, 2012
BN14
Rio, give it a rest your not good enough anymore,you had your chance and failed miserable ,why you would want to play in the same team as toxic terry anyway.

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
I was told that when he was omitted from the initial squad he was on Twitter saying 'Does this face look bothered Woy'. Well, that was thinking ahead...

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
*His name is Rio and he watches from the stands*
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

lighthouse

Feb 27, 2008
north hampshire
I think people need to think a bit more widely about the job Hodgson now has on his hands. He will want a good showing at the Euros but the next World Cup will do far more to define him as a succesful England manager or otherwise.

He needs to use this tournament to bring through some of the 'next generaration'. To go into the Euros with a Ferdinand/Terry back pairing would therefore be a mistake. Neither fo them will be involved in two years time.

He simply needs a few old heads to help him through and that is what he has. He doesn't need any more whether they happen to be better qualified than some of the replacements or not.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Toxic Terry is still proving to be a huge distraction. Hodgson's first action should have been to get shot of him once and for all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I believe that we would have problems with any combination of Terry Ferdinand and Lescott as none of them are now good enough the problem is who do you replace them with for Euro 2012 Jagielka Jones and um

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Ferdinand has been very active in team/squad politics in recent years and in particular (perhaps understandably) has sought to undermine John Terry's position behind the scenes ("reportedly" perhaps but doesn't seem to stretch the imagination too far to believe it given what has been said in public). It hasn't enamoured him to anyone in the England set-up I think.
Having picked Terry as the better centre half (questionably maybe but a matter of choice and at worst a close call) and the one likely to stay fit (well done Fergie) there can be no place for Rio anywhere near the squad. End of! In reality I don't think he would be selected even if Terry dropped out. He has been the architect of his own destiny.
Terry on the other hand is a very very lucky lad. Not sure if he would get in the squad if we had more experienced or better quality cover but he is what he is - and other than being an obnoxious twat of a man, that includes being the best centre back we have. Expect this tournament to be his last and in looking at the likes of Kelly we are at least looking to the future even if he isn't one of those who eventually makes it.
Micah Richards and his advisors have, from what I've heard, a serious attitude problem which has seemingly "come home to roost". I'm sure that there is a story to come out at some stage.

Marc1901

Peace out.
Apr 26, 2009
The Championship.
He's been playing the odd game at United and going off injured. He isn't worth taking because he might not be able to play all the time and to be honest, he hasn't been great anyway. Roy has done the right thing in not taking him and now everyone gets to see what he is really like, acting like a little kid throwing his toys out of the pram.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rio:
30 games
2,565 minutes (85min/game)
81% tackle sucess
10 Total fouls
45 average passes
90% pass completion

Kelly
12 games
964 minutes (80min/game)
71% tackle success
13 total fouls (more than rio in less than half the number of games)
33 average passes
79% pass completion.

Footballing reasons.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Rio:
30 games
81% tackle sucess
10 Total fouls
45 average passes
90% pass completion

Kelly
12 games
964 minutes (80min/game)
71% tackle success
33 average passes
79% pass completion.

Footballing reasons.

Rio:
1 missed drugs test
Spoilt child antics
Bad for dressing room
Always injured

Kelly:
0 missed drugs test
Keen young player
Youth player forced his way into Liverpool team
Promising future

Footballing reasons.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Rio:
1 missed drugs test
Spoilt child antics
Bad for dressing room
Always injured

Kelly:
0 missed drugs test
Keen young player
Youth player forced his way into Liverpool team
Promising future

Footballing reasons.

:clap:
Kelly has been a key player for the Under 21 team for the last couple of years, along with Jordan Henderson. All the complaining about no young players coming through and sticking with the old guard really is completely mute when people then moan about young players getting a chance! It's NOT the same old squad anymore, some of the old guard are out of the way and being replaced with younger, fresher players. I wouldn't have taken Kelly over Richards, but Richards only has his himself to blame.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
But Kelly is going mainly for the experience as part of the squad. He will only play in an emergency and even then it would be as a sub not as a starter and you would bet on him not letting anyone down if he was needed. He will potentially be a starter in the world cup as he develops and hopefully gains experienced. I'm chuffed tbh that we are thinking ahead with him and the likes of Welbeck, Carroll, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Henderson and Butland who will at least have a better chance of being ready when they are needed.

With our recent tournament history and internal turmoil plus injuries etc, expectations are rightly low for the euros and it makes perfect sense to focus on the core of a starting line-up and a standard set of comparatively experienced subs whilst exposing young talent to the international tournament environment in the hope of giving us a better chance of success in the future. Strategically I'm genuinely glad to see it.

brightoon

Jun 13, 2011
This is just the press having another dig and Roy. They are still pissed that their pal Harry didnt get the job and are trying to create problems in the camp. Sick of hearing of the Golden Generation they keep banging on about in the press, this suggests that something has been won or even achieved! Rio and his mates have had their chance and blew it, time to move on and let the next generation have a go. I know its probably hard for him to understand that because he plays for Manure that doesnt make him an automatic starter for his country but maybe he should get used to that now. Would be nice if Rio grew a pair and said his piece himself rather than get his puppet to do it for him!!:annoyed:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Rio:
30 games
81% tackle sucess
10 Total fouls
45 average passes
90% pass completion

Kelly
12 games
964 minutes (80min/game)
71% tackle success
33 average passes
79% pass completion.

Footballing reasons.

Will Kelly get on with John Terry? Does RF have a chip on his shoulder? Has JT been found guilty of breaking the law?

Football is a TEAM game, this is a good footballing reasons, as we need a united team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here