Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rio

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
FWIW I'm not overly excited about England and Euro 2012, but I would find it amusing to see the media's stance change, if they manage to get to the semis, or even the final.
You make it sound like changing stance would be an awkward comedown. It wouldn't, they do it every day. They have no shame and they'd just report it however they felt like. The media are scum, as are those that support it.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've always thought Rio was a prat, but Flintoff has just turned into a complete media whore. He strikes me as someone who has become completely absorbed into his own reputation and a legend in his own mind.

At least Freddie has retired. He can do what he likes from now on, shirley?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
You make it sound like changing stance would be an awkward comedown. It wouldn't, they do it every day. They have no shame and they'd just report it however they felt like. The media are scum, as are those that support it.

I know they do, and I agree with your assessment of them being scum. However, I DO think things have changed *slightly* since the phone hacking scandal and the demise of the NoTW, and there is more scepticism towards journalists and newspapers.

Having said that I haven't seen circulation figures for the Sunday Sun, which I'm guessing is pretty much a direct replacement of the NoTW. If people who badmouthed that paper are now buying the Sun on Sunday, that is pretty hypocritical, no?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I've always thought Rio was a prat, but Flintoff has just turned into a complete media whore. He strikes me as someone who has become completely absorbed into his own reputation and a legend in his own mind.

To be fair though, he had to retire early and cricket hardly pays 'big' bucks, certainly not enough to live on from the age of 32 till death....! If I had an agent that could get me all this work, I'd do it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I know they do, and I agree with your assessment of them being scum. However, I DO think things have changed *slightly* since the phone hacking scandal and the demise of the NoTW
Glad to hear it. I wouldn't know, I don't ever buy a paper. I detest the business model: talk shit, sensationalise, sell papers, sod the consequences.

there is more scepticism towards journalists and newspapers.
People need to vote with their pockets, and not buy papers that print rubbish - unfortunately the public aren't that[/] bothered, and buy the Sun (et al) anyway for a bit of fun.

Having said that I haven't seen circulation figures for the Sunday Sun, which I'm guessing is pretty much a direct replacement of the NoTW. If people who badmouthed that paper are now buying the Sun on Sunday, that is pretty hypocritical, no?
Indeed. That's the public for you.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
To be fair though, he had to retire early and cricket hardly pays 'big' bucks, certainly not enough to live on from the age of 32 till death....! If I had an agent that could get me all this work, I'd do it.
Likewise. If he enjoys it, and gets paid well, wouldn't it be daft not to do it? Always easy for us lot to say we wouldn't stoop to the levels that celebrities do, but when put in the same position, most do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here