Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
And do not give me the "we had no idea what was going on today" bullshit. We all knew. Keep up boomer.

That always irritates me. It's deliberate wilful ignorance. This need to be spoonfed everything in ways that we never used to, not when the ref would go have a word with the lino or the fourth official. It has never mattered what they were saying to each other, just the final decision. Same applies with VAR, imo.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Just a quick query about VAR and penalties that are scored directly. Are they routinely checking them for encroachment and the position of the keeper? I bet they are not. They will only look at when the kick is saved and/or there is a rebound situation where encroachment has benefitted one of the teams.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just a quick query about VAR and penalties that are scored directly. Are they routinely checking them for encroachment and the position of the keeper? I bet they are not. They will only look at when the kick is saved and/or there is a rebound situation where encroachment has benefitted one of the teams.

They routinely check every goal, so they should be checking for encroachment. The position of the goalkeeper is left to onfield officials (in response to the criticism of the use of VAR for that during the women's world cup).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The amount of encroachment for the penalty was ridiculous. Even so, doubt the officials would have flagged anything amiss without VAR. Which gave us a second bite at the cherry. FerretFace might not have stuck the second one away.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

They routinely check every goal, so they should be checking for encroachment. The position of the goalkeeper is left to onfield officials (in response to the criticism of the use of VAR for that during the women's world cup).

The PL VAR guidelines say that VAR will only intervene on encroachment by players if it has a "direct impact on the outcome of the kick".

https://www.premierleague.com/news/1297433

Southpaw

Nov 19, 2019
Perhaps VAR is making the officials lazy because now they know there is VAR to get major decisions right.Maybe VAR will mean lesser capable officials are required.There should not have been a need for VAR to see there was encroachment for the pen.

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
If VAR must continue, then there has to be complete transparency.

In the stadium, you must hear the ref/assistant refs talking to VAR. All of it. And LOTS of replays on the big screen of the incident in question.

If the Premier League or PGMOL don't agree to that, why TF not? What are they not happy for paying fans to see and hear?

Today was a minor shambles for the refereeing team, and that is fast becoming the norm.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
At our game the VAR confirmed the penalty decision and also that it should be retaken for encroachment so there can be no complaints from us. The only time I am against it is when offside is given because a hand is offside which you cannot score with. I think it should be foot head or body.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The VAR was correct on the encroachment for the disallowed penalty save goal but surely it should have been a free kick to us, not another penalty? The rules are flawed in this instance but VAR did it's job.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Two similar penalty shouts today. Both were clumsy challenges that impacted upon the striker. Dean gave theirs and not ours. He could easily have done the opposite. If he had, we all know that VAR still wouldn't have overturned his decisions. We've all seen enough comments from ex referees on Monday mornings that always say that their former colleagues got it right. We know that there is no chance that any of them are going to overrule each other. If that's the case, then all this technology is doing is checking offside decisions.

Whether offside decisions are accurate to the centimetre is irrelevant to football as a sport. The offside rule was introduced to stop the game being ruined by goal hanging. It did that for a century before VAR and having more accurate measurement adds nothing to the rule's effectiveness in doing what it was introduced to do. All of the tedious TV pundits (and Sean Dyche) who made a huge fuss over human errors whenever it suited their agenda are still blowing hot air over whatever controversy they can find. The only potential advantage that VAR could have brought was to shut them up. Now its been proven not to work to this end, bin it. It adds nothing and, as @Prodnose pointed out from the offset, it robs the game of some of the random madness that makes it the primary obsession of all right thinking sports fans.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
So it should have been our free kick then. Our players encroachment had no effect but Maddison did as he encroached and scored.

This is a point I was making. If through a result of the attacking teams encroachment they still score, or prevent a clearance, it should be a freekick to the defending team. You don’t get the ball back after scoring an offside goal and get to have another go at it!?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My hope for VAR was that it works stop the endless discussion of refereeing decisions.

Its now worse than ever.

I was all for it but now...... In its current guise it needs to go.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Two similar penalty shouts today. Both were clumsy challenges that impacted upon the striker. Dean gave theirs and not ours. He could easily have done the opposite. If he had, we all know that VAR still wouldn't have overturned his decisions. We've all seen enough comments from ex referees on Monday mornings that always say that their former colleagues got it right. We know that there is no chance that any of them are going to overrule each other. If that's the case, then all this technology is doing is checking offside decisions.

Whether offside decisions are accurate to the centimetre is irrelevant to football as a sport. The offside rule was introduced to stop the game being ruined by goal hanging. It did that for a century before VAR and having more accurate measurement adds nothing to the rule's effectiveness in doing what it was introduced to do. All of the tedious TV pundits (and Sean Dyche) who made a huge fuss over human errors whenever it suited their agenda are still blowing hot air over whatever controversy they can find. The only potential advantage that VAR could have brought was to shut them up. Now its been proven not to work to this end, bin it. It adds nothing and, as @Prodnose pointed out from the offset, it robs the game of some of the random madness that makes it the primary obsession of all right thinking sports fans.
Spot on.

STATO FOR PM.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Last week here in Australia we had finished celebrating a goal before the VAR was called. It was shit.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
There you go. Proof the Connolly penalty WAS a penalty. The exact same thing given to Leicester today. I expect the clique anti-progress brigade will be very quiet about that one.

Apart from Mike Riley has highlighted the connolly decision as one of the 4 incidents where VAR has made a mistake in over ruling the on field decision, calling it the "worst possible outcome"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50517096

Awkward.

I expect Plooks will be very quiet about that one....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've just watched Western United V Central Coast and seen 2 handball shouts not given. The second not even referred to VAR. A blatant movement of the arm to the ball in the box. Clear and obvious error missed by the ref.

The first went to VAR and I can accept that my view of an unnatural position is different to the ref's

I just don't feel like I understand the laws of the game anymore. So much confusion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here