Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Right then. After that demonstration... VAR? Yes or No?

VAR

• Total voters

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
its an absolute sh1t storm.

It was obvious it was going to be. Most people could see it coming

For what it gives back to the game against what it takes away....... it's f ing ludicrous

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
How about the players learning to not be offside and still scoring exciting goals. The majority of goals are not close at all to being offside.

I don't understand how you know exactly what the rule makers were intending when they set the offside rule.

Every inch or 100th of an inch could count on whether a goal is scored or not. That is truly what makes the game so exciting.

The FIFA referees will get better as they get accustomed to calling the matches with VAR.

Agree, people are arguing about the offside rule, not VAR. To me, VAR is failing because of decisions like Walker in the semi, Arsenal's winning goal and the missed hand ball that may have given Villa a point. The reason it is failing is that it is being run by idiots with a vested interest, ie refs judging refs who may at some time judge them back!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
How about the players learning to not be offside and still scoring exciting goals. The majority of goals are not close at all to being offside.

Players will always push the outer limits of offside to give themselves the best possible chance of beating the last defender, its nothing new. They're now always at a disadvantage though, because of the margins its been taken down to - pixels. Previously level was deemed offside, and in a close call, the benefit of the doubt was supposed to be given to the forward - WHATS WRONG WITH THAT ? Its what we need to go back to IMO.

I don't understand how you know exactly what the rule makers were intending when they set the offside rule.

Its obviously in place to keep a shape to the game, so it doesn't just become a hoofing contest with each team leaving a player permanently in the 6 yard box ready to do battle with the keeper for the latest lump upfield. Not difficult to understand.

Every inch or 100th of an inch could count on whether a goal is scored or not. That is truly what makes the game so exciting.

If you think those VAR reviews are "exciting", when they start drawing lines across the screen and counting pixels, then you and I clearly watch football for entirely different reasons. And in terms of the experience when you're in the stadium, when most of the time you're not even sure what they're looking at...well, see my previous point.

The FIFA referees will get better as they get accustomed to calling the matches with VAR.

Its not got better yet though has it. If anything, its got worse. If it was used as was intended - to correct CLEAR and OBVIOUS errors, then it would work better. The way its currently being implemented though, its taking away from the game more than what its resolving. The cost is too high. Football wasn't broken.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It depends on the speed, surely? - if the ball hits the back of the net before the referee has stopped the game, the ref can still disallow it for offside. So VAR could review.

Not really. The issue is not how fast things happen, but a) the order of them, b) which things can be reviewed.

If the ref rules an offside has occurred it doesn't matter that the ball goes in the goal before he's got the whistle to his lips. The "offside" happened before the "goal" so from the moment of that perceived offside, play is dead and the goal going in the net is no more a goal than the one where a clear offside is given, the forward stops, collects the ball, then cheekily/half-heartedly pokes it past the keeper into the goal. It may happen a lot faster, but it still happens after the offside.

Since the ref ruled offside, the VAR isn't allowed to review it. So even if we can see from replays the player was actually onside, it's tough luck(/bad VAR policy). It's a non-reviewable decision and will stand in all it's wrongness.

Also, c) it would almost certainly never happen because for it to be close enough to be wrong, and fast enough to hit the back of the net before he blows his whistle, you'd be talking very fine margins, and they would likely just let it go, award the goal, then review for a suspected offside.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
You have just added an offset though. What would happen in your method in the instance where the attacker is 150.001 mm in front of the defender?

Wouldn't be offside because no way the technology is accurate to 0.001mm.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I've been very anti VAR as a Brighton fan, but have just realised, while watching the Leganes v Barcelona match, as a neutral it actually added to the drama and interest in the game... It's just shit when it affects your own team when you're watching live!

Brok

🦡
Dec 26, 2011
I've been very anti VAR as a Brighton fan, but have just realised, while watching the Leganes v Barcelona match, as a neutral it actually added to the drama and interest in the game... It's just shit when it affects your own team when you're watching live!

No, it really is shit...

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
From the BBC website:

Palace fans upset
Crystal Palace 0-0 Liverpool

The Palace fans are singing a song about VAR which is not very complimentary. Liverpool and their supporters will be very relieved.

That VAR's brilliant isn't it....

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
No, it really is shit...

So was travelling from Cardiff for 6 hours when Bamber scored a clearly illegitimate winner. And even celebrated with his shirt off and didn’t get booked.

Refs are not prefect. Neither is VAR. improvements needed on both ends.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'll stand by what I've always said.

VAR ought to be a force for the good. The fact that it isn't is entirely down to the dumb arsed way it is being used.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

VAR ought to be a force for the good. The fact that it isn't is entirely down to the dumb arsed way it is being used.

It’s just been rushed in, as I’ve said before you would be better bringing it in bit by bit.

The offsides is a complete mess

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There you go. Proof the Connolly penalty WAS a penalty. The exact same thing given to Leicester today. I expect the clique anti-progress brigade will be very quiet about that one.

Didn't the FA admit Connollys penalty was a mistake? VAR is destroying the game I love. No one had a f***ing clue what was going on today. And the Palace one was ridiculous. These desperate people desperately searching for a reason to chalk off goals. If this nonsense is progress then I'm delighted to be living in the past.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There you go. Proof the Connolly penalty WAS a penalty. The exact same thing given to Leicester today. I expect the clique anti-progress brigade will be very quiet about that one.

And you might want to check the definition of the word "clique". As far as I can see it's you and a couple of other people in the entire country who think VAR is going well.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think VAR can be a force for good, but something stinks about how it's being used. Needs to be looked into from an outside source.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I've come to the realisation that VAR will never be fully embraced however it is implemented.

1) Football fans are not one homogenous being with agreed philosophies. However it is implemented some fans will be upset. Give it to managers challenging and there's a concern over frivolous challenges to interrupt the flow of the game/take advantage to give players under the cosh a a breather. Review everything it's too much interruption. Review certain infringements, there will be inconsistencies. Make the ref view the video so it's always "in the opinion of the referee", and it's wasting time, let the guy in the studio make the call, let the guy in the studio make the call we're not playing by the laws of the game. The current half-way of asking the VAR to confirm the video shows the events that the ref based his opinion on happened and questionable decisions don't get reviewed the way they could be.

2) Football fans are biased, tribal, and while no, fans generally change their own view of the laws based on whether it is for or against their team. Diving is the worst crime in the world, unless it's our player, then there's an excuse for it, anticipating a foul, letting the ref know there was a foul, when you run that fast the slightest touch... So we'll rarely agree with any decision that doesn't go our way (yes there are exceptions, with fans that are bastions of fair play).

3) Moreso than rugby or cricket, football reflects a society that rejects authority - we criticise speed cameras rather than drivers who speed, ticket wardens rather than people who park illegally (no, I'm not talking about those cowboy PCN types)

4) There are rules that the footballing authorities want interpreted one way, and fans/players/etc want interpreted another way. Rather than acknowledge this difference of opinion, we believe the ref got it wrong, he just needs to look again. Then get irate when a second look, whether the ref himself or the VAR results in the d

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here