Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Martin

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
But it exactly what I said to start with when you went off on one.

I "went off on one" after your CONSTANT pleading that we should sell the FDM... your more restrained recent take on this matter is something more palatable to me... and it IS different to what you were saying earlier BTW

Bottom line is, we can get more money for Martin, and that may be the money we need for a striker (which we all seem to agree is the top priority)...

rool

Jul 10, 2003
KinkyHitler said:
Not really as time will show you Mcghee does not rate Kuipers.

I don't know why though as he's never let the club down, I'm not sure anyone who has come in since he joined has been better at anything other than kicking maybe and he's been prepared to battle for his place if nesessary. I wouldn't necesary call him injury prone either really, he had a nasty injury last time which is the nature of the job and reflects his bravery more than anything.

All in all a good pro who is up to this level and in my opinion worth more to us staying than the odd bit of cash we might get or save by letting hm go.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
B.W. said:
I "went off on one" after your CONSTANT pleading that we should sell the FDM... your more restrained recent take on this matter is something more palatable to me... and it IS different to what you were saying earlier BTW

Bottom line is, we can get more money for Martin, and that may be the money we need for a striker (which we all seem to agree is the top priority)...

I have not been constantly saying get rid of him. What I have been saying is that if it comes down to 3 from Henderson, Martin, Sullivan and Kuipers, it would be Kuipers I would look to set up with a new club and if Kuipers goes I can see the logic behind it

However you seem to have missed the point of that and like the Knight incident decided that you are right and the rest of us are so so wrong.

Still I should not expect anything different.

rool

Jul 10, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
I have not been constantly saying get rid of him. What I have been saying is that if it comes down to 3 from Henderson, Martin, Sullivan and Kuipers, it would be Kuipers I would look to set up with a new club and if Kuipers goes I can see the logic behind it

However you seem to have missed the point of that and like the Knight incident decided that you are right and the rest of us are so so wrong.

I would personally still prefer to hold on to a seasoned pro willing to battle for a first team place than rely on three youngsters.

Lots of young goalies show promise that never gets fulfilled.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:
How about wages could be better used than paying a keeper that is likely to be at the top of the pay scale to sit on the bench or on the treatment table?

How about if you are good enough you are old enough? Richard Wright played for Ipswich in the Premiership at 17.

How about Martin and Sullivan are far more likely to make the club money in the long term? After all at the moment our best source of income is to nuture players and sell them on ala Crewe. I mean if you can get £1.5m for Virgo, what could we get for a talented keeper, there are not many decent English ones about.

All good points, but you seem to have a vendetta against the FDM, assuming (a) he will be on the bench - he is playing Sat, and (b) he will be injured - let's hope not...

Not may keepers play at 17...

We can get good many for Martin now, methinks... and we need money NOW...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
B.W. said:
All good points, but you seem to have a vendetta against the FDM, assuming (a) he will be on the bench - he is playing Sat, and (b) he will be injured - let's hope not...

I can assure you he doesnt, we have got into many a slagging match with him defending him

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Buck said:

I just have a different OPINION... let's leave it at that... agree to differ...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
KinkyHitler said:
I can assure you he doesnt, we have got into many a slagging match with him defending him

Thank you for that... it just appears that way then... sorry UB, but that is how it comes across to me...

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
B.W. said:

I do not have anything against Kuipers, I actually felt he was the better bet when Roberts was here, but Roberts played well enough to retain the shirt.

However I think the fact that Kuipers injury record over the last 4 seasons is shocking, he is likely to be on a decent wage and we have 2 very highly rated keepers coming through, means that it might be time to say thank you for the memories.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
B.W. said:
How about this for some reasoning... we need to have an experienced and good keeper in the 1st team AND on the bench...

We can't play our current games in the future without some sort of 'Back to the future' time machine...

Please stop suggesting that we should offload one of our best players in the present... :)

Thank you...

How do you propose Martin and Sullivan get experience?

Father Jack

Aug 21, 2005
Now Henderson has come in i think it makes good business sense to let FDM go as he is one of the clubs top earners. We have Flo untill the end of the season as cover and Sullivan as backup to him. Michel has been a good servant to the club but i would rather Michels wages was spent on a striker!

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Who wins more games, a top-flight keeper, or a top-flight striker?

Baseball statheads have confronted a similar problem for generations with pitchers and batters. I'm guessing that cricket fans face the same problem.

Recently, there have been some advances -- Bill James' Win Shares, Baseball Prospectus' Value Over Replacement Player -- that try to answer the question for baseball.

Last edited:

rool

Jul 10, 2003
RexCathedra said:
Who wins more games, a top-flight keeper, or a top-flight striker?

oooh a 'keeper can stop you losing games and even preserve leads but you still need to score goals in the first place to win.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
But surely if you had a real butcher between the sticks, but three Owenses, or whatever, you'd win a lot 5-4.

I'm not trolling -- I'm just curious.

Do teams tend towards one philosophy or the other when cash is limited? Chelsea has a Cech and a Crespo, but what happens if the budget doesn't run that way?

Me, my intuition says sell either the megabucks keeper, or the megabucks striker, and buy a good-but-not great one of each...but that's only intuition, which comes from the Latin for 'bollocks'...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here