Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Keys on Talksport - On in 10 mins

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
it is starting to appear there is a case for videoing everyone at work all the time and monitoring their potentially sexist comments. it does seem to work in getting rid of the bad apples and ensuring the mob driven dismissal they so richly deserve. judging by this thread nsc would be all for it, as it will certainly make people think very hard about their actions when they are sitting in norfolk square covered in their own piss and kestrel, and we can really start working towards a genuinely kinder and more equal society.

You mean that doesn't happen already ?

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
it is starting to appear there is a case for videoing everyone at work all the time and monitoring their potentially sexist comments. it does seem to work in getting rid of the bad apples and ensuring the mob driven dismissal they so richly deserve. judging by this thread nsc would be all for it,

Do you think of NSC an an entity rather than individuals ?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
it is starting to appear there is a case for videoing everyone at work all the time and monitoring their potentially sexist comments. it does seem to work in getting rid of the bad apples and ensuring the mob driven dismissal they so richly deserve. judging by this thread nsc would be all for it, as it will certainly make people think very hard about their actions when they are sitting in norfolk square covered in their own piss and kestrel, and we can really start working towards a genuinely kinder and more equal society.

I take your point, and do get what you're saying, but think that allowing us to distance ourselves from the guilty, objectifying their actions, and holding them up as examples is a very useful way of raising awareness, and trying to collectively improve our lot in terms of changing our behaviour.

Ultimately I reckon that using high profile examples like this (and allowing us as impartial and perfect observers to feel superior) to raise the conciousness of issues like workplace sexism is on balance a good thing.

And to be fair they did have it coming didn't they.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
well our comments are an issue for us. thats a reasonable debate.

in terms of skys HR policies and how they are applied who dont yet know if there has been prior disciplinary action. the chances are it hasnt you could assume, but its not a normal workplace (although no reason why the same rules cant apply to all the real world works differently) and they are not normal employees. the City is rife with this behaviour but not many people have cameras to hand and they are not celebrities, so no one actively gives a f*** apart from those who feel strongly enough about it to act.
I've worked on 7 or 8 trading floors now, and I'd say the City is no longer "rife" with this sort of behaviour. There are sexist issues, such as levels of pay and being hounded out owing to pregnancy, but in 17 years I haven't once heard of an incident involving the sort of lewd remarks that Keys is responsible for. And without doubt, city firms DO look into accusations of sexism very seriously these days. Of course these incidents don't make the headlines because nobody has heard of Billy Big Bollocks on the trading floor, unlike Andy Gray or that moron, Richard Keys.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
I take your point, and do get what you're saying, but think that allowing us to distance ourselves from the guilty, objectifying their actions, and holding them up as examples is a very useful way of raising awareness, and trying to collectively improve our lot in terms of changing our behaviour.

Ultimately I reckon that using high profile examples like this (and allowing us as impartial and perfect observers to feel superior) to raise the conciousness of issues like workplace sexism is on balance a good thing.

And to be fair they did have it coming didn't they.

fair enough and if i had known this was a copper bottomed way of getting keys and gray off the telly i would have organised a NOTW style sting with a digital camera myself years ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
snide bringing peoples families into it, especially as the retort doesnt really hold water its just using a hypothetical opposing extreme and going nuclear.

Wasn't it a hypothetical in response to your hypothetical? Why is yours valid but his doesn't hold water? Why is it snide bringing families into it? You are ok with Gray's and Key's comments because you're not related to the women they were made about in the same way, the people responding in this thread don't work in studios with cameras.

If it's ok for you to discuss whether the arguments would be the same in the hypothetical siutuation that we're ll videod throughout our work days, it should be ok for THPP to discuss whether your argument would be the same if the women being subjected to these comments was a close relative of yours.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I've worked on 7 or 8 trading floors now, and I'd say the City is no longer "rife" with this sort of behaviour. There are sexist issues, such as levels of pay and being hounded out owing to pregnancy, but in 17 years I haven't once heard of an incident involving the sort of lewd remarks that Keys is responsible for. And without doubt, city firms DO look into accusations of sexism very seriously these days. Of course these incidents don't make the headlines because nobody has heard of Billy Big Bollocks on the trading floor, unlike Andy Gray or that moron, Richard Keys.

You haven't blimey. Going back a bit now to my first city job, and I admit I've not heard anything similar since (but I have not worked near a trading floor for a while) - but I remember back in the early 90s, when it was common to get stripograms in the office for peoples birthdays / weddings etc., the female admin staff (and female brokers, althoguh there were few of them) were always shouted at to join in (never did), in the name of trading floor "banter". In fact, most of the brokers had nicknames, and there was a female one commonly openly called "beaver" - which was not her name. I could cite more examples from that era.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
It is a bit odd that an off air comment that is a private conversation and is intended not for the general public about an assistant referee ultimately leads to Andy Gray getting the sack.

Yet an on the record comment by Alex Ferguson that an individual is "not fit to referee" gets him diddly squat by Man Utd or the FA. Save a touchline ban for a game or too.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Keys and Gray are the biggest tossers on TV (well not anymore :clap2:) .

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It is a bit odd that an off air comment that is a private conversation and is intended not for the general public about an assistant referee ultimately leads to Andy Gray getting the sack.

Yet an on the record comment by Alex Ferguson that an individual is "not fit to referee" gets him diddly squat by Man Utd or the FA. Save a touchline ban for a game or too.

What got Gray the sack seems to be a mixture of him not apologising, the other incident which is bullying and/or inappropriate behaviour (which would get most people the sack), or the fact that he's suing NewsCorp

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What got Gray the sack seems to be a mixture of him not apologising, the other incident which is bullying and/or inappropriate behaviour (which would get most people the sack), or the fact that he's suing NewsCorp

None of the above.

What got Gray the sack is clearly that he's an odious self-important arse, hated by everybody working around him, many of who were waiting for an opportunity to get rid, with which he has helpfully obliged.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
None of the above.

What got Gray the sack is clearly that he's an odious self-important arse, hated by everybody working around him, many of who were waiting for an opportunity to get rid, with which he has helpfully obliged.

Let's face it, there could have been loads of Sky staff coming forward saying they were great blokes and it was all out of character. To my knowledge, no one has done that. So either it was seen as being very much in character, or they have been ordered not to by these 'dark forces'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here