Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Hammond in critical condition in hospital [Merged]

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Man of Harveys said:
I've never been a big fan of the show, I can't say I like the presenters very much, don't wish ill upon them, of course, but they've been tempting this sort of stupid, stupid fate for ages. Just wish it had been Jeremy Clarkson instead. Sorry to be unsympathetic, hope the guy recovers and all that, just think it's been coming.:(
There's always one isn't there :nono:

Hope he's alright, it's good news if he is concious, hopefully he'll pull through.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
He's a family man with two young children. His 'zany' stunts and good humour have entertained millions of people, and this extends way beyond Top Gear.

My thoughts are certainly with him and those close to him now and wish for a full recovery.

E

enigma

Easy 10 said:
A 280mph crash according to ITN.
Hope the fella makes a full recovery. I chuffing LOVE Top Gear, those three gimps crack me up.

:eek:

Shit, thats some speed to crash at. Lets hope for the best.

Brightonfan1983

Jul 5, 2003
UK
Les Biehn said:
I am kind of with MoH on this one. Certainly hope he is alright but I actually find Richard Hammond even more irritating than Clarkson.

Not pointing you out in particular, but surely we can do without a personal critique of the fella's professional life at the moment?

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Just mentioned on R5 that he is in a stable condition in hospital.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
hope he's better soon, think Clarkson, May and himself make a great trio on the show

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Gully said:
Just mentioned on R5 that he is in a stable condition in hospital.

Yup - a good sign. His first 24 hours are always the most vital after a crash, so being "downgraded" to stable 6 hours after the incident is very positive.

It looks like he's still on a neuro ward though - hopefully its something like severe concussion, and not something worse.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Lankyseagull said:
Don't watch Top Gear, but his presenting style suits Brainiac - hope his wheelchair racing powered by fire extinguishers doesn't come back to haunt him......:nono:

Hoping he makes a full recovery.

I have to say watching him do that on Brainiac is hilarious!!!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
TV host seriously hurt in crash
Richard Hammond
The presenter is being treated at Leeds General Infirmary
Top Gear's Richard Hammond is seriously ill in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the programme.

The 36-year-old presenter was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary's neurological unit.

A spokesman for the hospital said Mr Hammond was "stable".

Mr Hammond had been driving a rocket-powered dragster car capable of up to 300mph at the former RAF airfield in Elvington, Yorkshire.

He has brought an awful lot to the programme
Quentin Willson, former Top Gear presenter

Former firefighter Dave Ogden, who runs private firm Event Fire Services, was one of the first people at the scene of the crash.

He said: "We were down there with Top Gear who were filming him trying to break the British land speed record.

"On the previous run, the car had just gone over 300mph but I am not sure if it had broken the record.

"They had just done one more run and were planning to finish when it veered off to the right.

"One of the parachutes had deployed but it went on to the grass and spun over and over before coming to a rest about 100 yards from us."

He said his crew and an ambulance that was already on the airfield rushed over and found the car upside down and "dug in" to the grass.

Mr Ogden said he felt for a pulse and heard Mr Hammond breathing before the emergency crews worked together to turn the car the right way up and then cut him free.

He added: "He was regaining consciousness at that point and said he had some lower back pain. But he was drifting in and out of consciousness a little bit."

Former Top Gear presenter Quentin Willson said the presenter was "irreplaceable".

He said: "He is a wonderful, unique and distinctive Top Gear presenter.

Scene of Richard Hammond crash
The scene at the former RAF airfield where the crash happened

"He has brought an awful lot to the programme and his indefatigable energy, the fact that he tries absolutely anything once, may have been the reason that he has overstepped the mark a bit.

"He has turned Top Gear into a gang show with Jeremy and James and the three of them have wowed audiences all over the world and he is an international personality."

Mr Wilson added: "There is no pressure from the BBC or the producer to take undue risks.

"But that pressure is in your own head. You want to do an item on the programme which is mindblowing.

"You want to do a fantastic item that blows everybody away."

The presenter was born in Birmingham, educated in Yorkshire and lives near Cheltenham with his wife and children.

In addition to presenting Top Gear for the BBC, he also fronted Brainiac on Sky One until recently

Ouch.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Just heard this news on morning Aussie radio.

Am gutted!

After seeing Steve Irwin's funeral yesterday now this :nono:

I Love Top Gear and the reason for that is the interaction between Hammond and Clarkson.

I'm actually not a motor head but i just watch it for the Host factor.

I hope he pulls through because the world's losing to many good people lately that bring some enjoyment to the average persons life.

Get well soon Hammo.

:down:

Last edited:

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I never understand these people that come on and say

"he had it comming" or "it was bound to happen"

By their reasoning some pooor sod who's crossing the road and gets run down by a motor deserves little sympathy because he crosses the road every day , he had it comming. :glare:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Man of Harveys said:
Just wish it had been Jeremy Clarkson instead.

:tosser:

What a stupid thing to say.

Next time I hear of someone being in an accident rest assured I'll be wishing it was YOU instead.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Legend. Absolutely my favorite presenter on television. I HATE car programmes and yet I found myself watching Top Gear because of him - never watched it before. Brainiac was brilliant, the new guy isn't a patch on Richard and I won't watch that much now either.

And he did CRUFTS as well!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The bloke is a natural born entertainer, let's hope he makes a full and swift recovery.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here