Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Dawkins to arrest Pope Benedict.!!!!!

GNF on Tour

Registered Twunt
Jul 7, 2003
Auckland
Dawkins will never get within a mile of the Pope, it's just a publicity stunt, very tedious and it makes atheists look very petty. This country is a democracy which means you can worship who or what you want.

The Police could. It makes Dawkins look petty, not all atheists. However, the real issue is whether the Pope is gulity of directly covering up a child abuse case, and no matter how much the Catholic Church try and distract and redirect thought away from this issue thats the main problem and the one they need to address.

I have no real problem with Catholisicm (outside of role in WW2, abortion, wealth in general, views on homosexuality, role of women etc etc etc) but I do have a major problem with child abusers and those that don't take it seriously, like a significant number of Catholic Bishops (unfortunately). If the Pope is guilty I would love to see him made an example of.

Vankleek Hill Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Vankleek Hill, actually....
I have no real problem with Catholisicm (outside of role in WW2, abortion, wealth in general, views on homosexuality, role of women etc etc etc) but I do have a major problem with child abusers and those that don't take it seriously, like a significant number of Catholic Bishops (unfortunately). If the Pope is guilty I would love to see him made an example of.

Most people don't have a problem with the Catholic Church. However child abusers disguised as Catholic priests seem to be immune from the law regarding their actions. The fact that their bosses (which includes the Pope in his role as the head of the Catholic Church) seem to be doing their best to cover up this scandal and sweep it under the rug by just apologising.

This is an utter crock of shit. The Catholic Church is not above the law of the land and action in the form of arrest has to be taken against them. Any business accused of fraud ends up with the CFO / CEO, etc being charged. What makes the Catholic church think it is any different?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Did he, I'm no history scholar so I will take your word for it, however I thought he created or set-up the Prod movement in England by splitting from the Catholic Church because he wanted to marry again. ???

He wasn't a fan of the Protestant movement overall.

He remained a conservative and despite his naming himself head of the church of England he still followed alot of the Roman Catholic ways.

England was probably at it's most powerful and influential when it was ruled by a woman.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
However child abusers disguised as Catholic priests seem to be immune from the law regarding their actions.

But they aren't, they are bound by the same laws as everyone else.

The only time nothing happens to paedo priests is if nobody says anything to the Police.

Plenty of priests have been jailed after the Police have investigated them.

Paedophilia is like rape, the perpetrator will often keep doing it until someone points a finger at them and the Police get involved.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Dawkins should leave him alone. He is God's representative on earth and therefore will have made his peace with god. He is judged by a higher authority.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
it does make him look like a bit of a knob. i really dont think its to sell more books, though it is a publicity stunt: to highlight the pope was involved in criminality and noone will do the right thing and investigate it proper.

as for Henry IV, reasonably good monarch but mixed bag, greatest has to be Elizabeath I.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Publicity stunt? I don't think so, I think he wants someone clearly culpable for conspiracy to hide endemic crime in his organisation brought to justice. A PREPOSTEROUS idea I know, but if it were any other person/organisation I don't think some people on NSC would feel the same.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
But they aren't, they are bound by the same laws as everyone else.

The only time nothing happens to paedo priests is if nobody says anything to the Police.

Plenty of priests have been jailed after the Police have investigated them.

Paedophilia is like rape, the perpetrator will often keep doing it until someone points a finger at them and the Police get involved.

Are they really bound by the same laws? - Catholic Church in Ireland given immunity for child sexual abuse cover-up, report says - Telegraph - This would happen for everyone else? The police would just turn a blind eye? Er, no...

There are also plenty of examples of individual cases where the Catholic Church has organised immunity for individual paedophile priests who talk about their crimes in retrospect.

Bit like the Spanish Inquistion then - cue the gags!
That's not how the Spanish inquisition works.

The cue takes away the the element of surprise. Once the element of surprise has gone, there is no fear. It's not very efficient. All you'd be left with is an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope and nice red uniforms.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Maybe it is a publicity stunt, but, that doesn't mean he isn't raising a valid issue. I guess the question is, will this stunt overshadow the point he is making and do more harm than good?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My 17 year old tells me that the Pope is visiting the UK in Spetember and that he and many of his friends will be picketing the venues where the Pope is due to appear. I wouldn't be surprised in many people do the same.

The Catholic Church has not only allowed these priests to abuse children over decades, they have often then insisted that the children keep it secret or even suggested that the children may be at fault in some way by leading the priests into temptation. Very good short article in todays Times by Libby Purves discussing the Dawkins move and the Catholic church - worth a quick read.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/libby_purves/article7094757.ece

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Interesting article by Libby Purves (is she related to the Blue Peter guy?). In the end though the Catholic Church is no different to any other multi-national organisation. You never hear about the bad things until they've either gone bust (Enron, Lehman Bros) or are up in court. The main objective at all times is to protect their credibility - and it doesn't matter who gets hurt as a result.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The more serious point is, does he have a point? If the Pope did cover-up child abuse then absolutely he should be arrested... no question about it. If you knew someone who had covered up the abuse of your child would you expect him to be arrested? Too f***ing right.

Forget this is anything to do with the Catholic Church. It's alleged the pope covered up the abuse of kids... doesn't matter what his job currently is
Whilst I agree with this, what is the chance of the Pope being guaranteed a fair trial?

The best thing that could come out of all of this is for The Vatican to hurry up and become a UN member instead of pretending it's above all that sort of international law fandango, thereby granting it's head of state diplomatic immunity.

It's time that religous leaders of all creeds are made to recognise that the vast majority of good people in the world don't need to nail their colours to a religion in order to understand what is right. Consequently, organised religions should be brought down from their self imposed positions high up in world society.

herbicide

weedkiller
Mar 25, 2006
Horley
Has the Pope been CRB checked?

I mean anyone who has contact with children involved in their job has to be CRB checked nowadays, don't they. Presumably there will be sickening pictures of the Pope kissing babies, etc?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
The Police could. It makes Dawkins look petty, not all atheists. However, the real issue is whether the Pope is gulity of directly covering up a child abuse case, and no matter how much the Catholic Church try and distract and redirect thought away from this issue thats the main problem and the one they need to address.

The point is that there is no proof that the Pope is responsible for a cover up. Granted the Catholic Church has been pretty dispicable but arresting the Pope would cause a huge uproar from the millions of Catholics around the world. The Police need a lot more than heresay to arrest somebody (or so they say).

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Whilst I agree with this, what is the chance of the Pope being guaranteed a fair trial?

The best thing that could come out of all of this is for The Vatican to hurry up and become a UN member instead of pretending it's above all that sort of international law fandango, thereby granting it's head of state diplomatic immunity.

It's time that religous leaders of all creeds are made to recognise that the vast majority of good people in the world don't need to nail their colours to a religion in order to understand what is right. Consequently, organised religions should be brought down from their self imposed positions high up in world society.

It's worth noting that the Vatican did an outstanding job during the Second World War of ignoring the many attrocities that the Nazis carried out. They were too scared to say anything.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
That's not how the Spanish inquisition works.

The cue takes away the the element of surprise. Once the element of surprise has gone, there is no fear. It's not very efficient. All you'd be left with is an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope and nice red uniforms.

They could always poke him with the soft cushions...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here