Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Richard Dawkins to arrest Pope Benedict.!!!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I'd love to see this happen!

Why ? I can bet that millions of Catholics won't believe it in the claims in any case. Arresting the Pope would be a very bad idea for foreign affairs in all ways. Surely this is the responsibility of the Italian governement given that Italy not only surrounds the Vatican but it is also predominantly Catholic.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Surely this is the responsibility of the Italian governement given that Italy not only surrounds the Vatican but it is also predominantly Catholic.

That's the Italy that strenuously protects its own head of government despite the ever-rising pile of evidence of malfeasance? Riiiight.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That's the Italy that strenuously protects its own head of government despite the ever-rising pile of evidence of malfeasance? Riiiight.

Exactly, however if this country was to try and do anything to a Pope it would make Al Kyida look like a bunch of school girls. There are more than a few million Catholics spread liberally around the world and the consequences of pissing them off would be more than a little severe. If the Pope was arrested he's become a martyr in any case.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
The point is that there is no proof that the Pope is responsible for a cover up.

The article refers to a smoking gun:

It emerged this weekend that in 1985 when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases, the pope signed a letter arguing that the “good of the universal church” should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

It emerged this weekend that in 1985 when he was in charge of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which deals with sex abuse cases, the pope signed a letter arguing that the “good of the universal church” should be considered against the defrocking of an American priest who committed sex offences against two boys.

I would not be one to stand up for that Catholic Church or any other sect or religion. However, it's quite possible that the Pope was misinformed by his underlings. What is bad is the way the Vatican has tried to defend their behaviour. It would make more sense if Catholics were to boycott their churches until something is done. Of course that will never happen.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Dawkins should leave him alone. He is God's representative on earth and therefore will have made his peace with god. He is judged by a higher authority.

But Dawkins does not believe in God, therefore the pope is not being punished by anything other than a make believe fictional character.

To allow the pope to get away with his cover up simply because he is the pope is ridiculous. Imagine if the scout leader or head of a primary school had covered up similar goings on, should it be dealt with differently because they are not a holy representative?

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
What a scum bag. I would personally beat the living shit out of that absolute cretin if he even dared touch the holy father.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Dawkins will never get within a mile of the Pope, it's just a publicity stunt, very tedious and it makes atheists look very petty. This country is a democracy which means you can worship who or what you want.

Dawkins doesn't want the pope arrested for being the pope. It's for alleged cover ups of child abuse.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
What a scum bag. I would personally beat the living shit out of that absolute cretin if he even dared touch the holy father.

Well, if the holy fathers hadn't touched others in the first place then the 'cretin' would have nothing to do with it.

I cannot believe that some people are defeding a human being for his actions just because of his social standing. If David Beckham is ever found of noncing too we had better let him off too because he is an English icon.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey

Signing a petition is not a crime..... we may deplore his views but it is not a crime... there is no evidence that he has been ACTIVELY ınvolved in a cover-up. Therefore dawkins is just doin a publicity stunt.

Im not keen on this Pope at all and I think it would be a good thing for the Catholic Church when there is a different Pope. I also think that priests involve din abuse (in fact ANYONE) should face the punishment of civil law.... but you better have evidence.

I bet Dawkins has signed up to some dodgy petitions in the past.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
So if the pope was arrested and the Catholic community decided to act against his arrest (in whichever way they deem necessary), does that mean that Catholic priests abusing children is perfectly ok with them?

Surely the Priests that have done this should be arrested not the Pope? The Pope has not told priests to abuse children has he? Or are you stupid enough to think he has complete control over every single person under his command? People do bad things in every organisation. Not just the Catholic Church.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
But Dawkins does not believe in God, therefore the pope is not being punished by anything other than a make believe fictional character.

To allow the pope to get away with his cover up simply because he is the pope is ridiculous. Imagine if the scout leader or head of a primary school had covered up similar goings on, should it be dealt with differently because they are not a holy representative?

Whether Dawkins beleives or not doesn't change the fact that to many millions of people God does exist...

God's like a sort of gas, or perhaps some sort of elemental particle, like the Higgs Bosun... everywhere, all at the same time, and watching everything we all do...

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Well, if the holy fathers hadn't touched others in the first place then the 'cretin' would have nothing to do with it.

I cannot believe that some people are defeding a human being for his actions just because of his social standing. If David Beckham is ever found of noncing too we had better let him off too because he is an English icon.

When has Joseph Ratzinger ever been accused of child abuse?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
The point is that there is no proof that the Pope is responsible for a cover up.

as said, this has changed over the weekend and prompted the issue. I dont think there is any liklyhood Dawkins is going to attempt some citizens arrest, but rather looking at seeking a formal arrest warrant.

If the Pope was arrested he's become a martyr in any case.

become a martyr for what cause? child abuse?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
as said, this has changed over the weekend and prompted the issue. I dont think there is any liklyhood Dawkins is going to attempt some citizens arrest, but rather looking at seeking a formal arrest warrant.

become a martyr for what cause? child abuse?

Yes... but I guess he'd have to die for the cause first... isn't that a key requirement for martyrdom?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here