Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of football. Bothered?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
The whole sorry affair has soured me on top flight football. I have said before that being a part of the excesses always made me a bit conflicted - as strange as that sounds. Now I really miss the old days of lower league football. As great as it is watching top class players playing for my team against world class players, I have never been a fan of the runaway financial juggernaut that is top level football these days.

Now, watching people trying to play down the risk to try and get a sanitised version of the game finished for the sake of money and money alone whilst hypocrite pundits and fans argue both for or against based on their allegiances, I miss the days of paying a relatively small amount of money to watch players earning around the national average and playing for their careers rather than their second Porsche. I am not nostalgic for the old stadia or quality of football but I am nostalgic for the times when it was all about the football.

This isn't a hissy fit or my FC United moment. I am eternally grateful to Tony Bloom for what he has given us and will likely keep going until the day I can't physically do it. But all of the guff about fairness and morale when it is purely about money has soured me on the whole PL circus even more.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wouldn't call it a rant exactly :lolol: Seen way too many posts about how people aren't going to do something. I am just pointing out the absurdity of all these people queuing up to explain why they are not doing something rather than just not doing it...

Do whatever makes you happy it won't be as good as the real thing that is certain...

Agree with both of these!

The same question asked over and over again. You don't want to watch it fine. Why get so uppity about being called on it? A thread on a football forum about not watching football? Can you not see that is a little strange when it happens once and this is about the 5th time I've seen it. Watch or don't entirely your own choice surely?

I haven't seen any thread quite like this. If it replicated others, then over the lockdown, 'about 5 times' is not that many. In any case, I hope you were protesting about all the boring Cummings threads? The post, if you read it properly, is not meant to suggest people should not or will not, watch football, it was about the mojo level and whether people had it or even wanted the football mojo to come back.

The Fifth Column

Lazy mug
Nov 30, 2010
Hangleton
I'd rather see this season dispensed with instead of finishing it under a completely different set of circumstances and rules. Focus on next season and at least it will be played in a consistent environment however bizarre that might look.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
If the Bundesliga has been anything to go by, it's not going to be fun seeing us get spanked extra hard by the big boys due to us not having our fans behind us.

goldstonegull

Feb 18, 2009
plymouth
Completely lost all interested in football, don't miss the journey up and back, not sure if I can be bothered going when we start going to games again. Might be different when it does though.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I only want the season done to get the cash for Tony Bloom, otherwise really not bothered. Another 400 + deaths, just seems wrong to be even considering re-starting...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Currently not missing football, although in the last couple of days I have watched the 1st season at the Amex and the promotion season on the Albion's YouTube channel.
Not watched any of the German football as not needed a football fix.

Will I watch when the PL returns, probably, but not sure I will be as emotionally attached nor will I be watching all the games. To some degree I'm expecting watching the Albion to be more difficult, as it will bring home what I'm missing from the matchday regime.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting that most on NSC aren't bothered. I wonder how that compares to the wider fanbase, I bet there less apathy than the politicised masses on here.

I think you’re right, but I wouldn’t throw politics into this mix .... throughout I recognised a wide array of NSC'ers (left and right) in these PL threads who confidently and fervently reckoned this PL would never finish (by pure coincidenceM saving Brighton’s relegation mix bacon). Whilst supporters of most other clubs were a far more balanced mix of pro and anti completing this season.

Respect to the half dozen other posters who wouldn’t be brow-beaten by the majority over this subject.

I think football will bounce back, we’ll see full stadia once allowed, the vast majority of people will come out of lockdown appreciating the niceties of life, leisure and hobbies.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Reading this thread I hope the players and coaching staff are a tad more positive about the restart than the majority on here.

As previously stated I'm an anti about the restart but the time is right to move on a support the club. I'm sure the players aren't convinced but have no alternative but to crack on and finish the season and complete the job in hand of PL survival and further grow the club on and off the pitch.

We have to get over ourselves and back the club who in my opinion have conducted themselves in a very assured and professional fashion over the whole situation .

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Not desperate for it, but I will be watching Albion games if I can. Have to say, playing BCD will probably suit Arsenal, as every game will have the exact same atmosphere as at the Emirates during normal times.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Interesting that most on NSC aren't bothered. I wonder how that compares to the wider fanbase, I bet there less apathy than the politicised masses on here.
****ing hell, THIS. It seems odd that so many fans say they either don't care about watching the Albion play with some virtue signalling posters even suggesting they will ignore it out of some kind of moral superiority.

I've been lapping up the Bundesliga and can't wait for the Premier league to come back. I totally agree it is not the same, but by god it's the sport I love so GAME ON!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Reading this thread I hope the players and coaching staff are a tad more positive about the restart than the majority on here.

As previously stated I'm an anti about the restart but the time is right to move on a support the club. I'm sure the players aren't convinced but have no alternative but to crack on and finish the season and complete the job in hand of PL survival and further grow the club on and off the pitch.

We have to get over ourselves and back the club who in my opinion have conducted themselves in a very assured and professional fashion over the whole situation .

Talksport the other evening reckoned that Dunk and the players are very positive about the prospect of playing soon, with little in the way of anxieties.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Talksport the other evening reckoned that Dunk and the players are very positive about the prospect of playing soon, with little in the way of anxieties.

And that is what you'd expect from Dunk, he is a fantastic professional. I am sure the players, for the most part, will be up for it - at least I hope they will.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to seeing the Albion back in competitive action again. For sure the behind closed doors atmosphere will be flat as a pancake, but not much that can be done about that for now

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
An average of 450 people a day die of cancer, so on this argument we should never re-start. We need to start thinking about living with Coronavirus, not against it.

That's very easy to say when you're not one of those affected by it. Clearly to me, those on here that are saying "not bothered about football's return" have a bit of compassion for there fellow man, even if it doesn't directly affect them, but are thinking of those that have been, and are likely to be.

Football will be a welcome distraction for some, a return to normality, unfortunately for many many others it won't even come onto their radar.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here