Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of football. Bothered?

southdownswolf

Aug 4, 2003
eastbourne
To be fair the football had become dire anyway, leading up to the lockdown I was enjoying the social aspect and disliking the football.

I'm not bothered at all about the return unless it coincides with the signing of 3 or 4 players who can improve the side significantly.

I think that this probably has a fairly significant bearing on the thought process for a few teams fans. If a team isn't playing particularly well, then missing the football is not going to be as important as if the team that you support are doing well.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How many of you are going to sign up to Sky and BT to watch Albion games. If I am available to watch will subscribe to NowTV for each game

I’m already with both Sky and BT, and probably would pay a bit extra for all Albion games ppv via a full size TV ... just for this period, until football and crowds are back to normal.

But I wouldn’t bother to do that if it’s through a Seagulls player type stream to my ipad.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
After watching the Bundesliga it made my mind up - fans are football, without them football is nowhere near the spectacle I love to watch, I can’t put my finger on what it is but I just do not enjoy watching the matches even a little bit, it’s soulless.

Totally the same for me. I saw a bit of the German football last week and turned it off at half time. It's just completely souless without the fans.

Personally, I'm really not that bothered about it until I can get back to the Amex to see a game live, and won't rejoin Sky until such a time.

I accept the reasons why we're having to play the end of this season and in all likelihood part of next season (if not all) behind closed doors, but it's just not for me. Like watching a gig on TV with no fans, or HIGNFY or Graham Norton's show - it just doesn't work without an audience.

Just hope it's not too long before we're all back in the grounds following the teams we all love - and for me that includes non-league footy too as I'm usually at a Shoreham game if the Albion are away.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I wonder if I am the only one who now things have eased up, is still not interested in the much vaunted return of Premier league football? Don't get me wrong, it is fantastic if they can start up again in that it means the virus is at the moment getting under control and I understand the financial reasons even if I resent them. It is just that I can't find anything within that says 'Oh great!'

I thought that maybe I would watch a few Bundesliga games, but haven't bothered as I couldn't bring myself to watch a league I am not usually interested in, with the added drawback of the 'fake' type conditions without fans. That leaves me thinking about our return. I really prefer the championship in any case so my response is not due to the fear of possible relegation.

The last couple of seasons have overall been dire at the Amex, with one or two exceptions. Perhaps I am thinking about the refund money for the three tickets I buy and considering whether going to the match adds much value to my life or even value for money? Petty little things like banning flasks and bottle tops have crept in and annoyed me, reducing my enjoyment somewhat. Trouble is, I genuinely love the Albion and can't and don't want to break the habit of the last 48 years.

I suppose, that after the horrors of Covid, I would just like a more normal summer that was free from football, I appreciate some will be diametrically opposed and accept that, but at the moment that is how I feel. Will things change once the Albion walk out onto the Amex again in June? I really don't know.

feeling very similar to you really. Can't get excited, I'll probably watch the games once they start just out of interest but
I don't care what league we end up in anymore. Just seems so unimportant now.

I just look forward to going to the Amex again, however long it takes, and feeling safe to travel on the train and to sit amongst crowds. Because that to me will feel like the final step.When normal is really back. And at that point I think I'll be back to the old excitement and pleasure of going to the football. Until then. Meh.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
I'm totally against the restart of the season however now it looks like it is going to happen I feel we should try to embrace it and support the team as best we can.
I haven't got Sky so will rely on highlights or streams so it won't be anywhere near the normal match day experience following home and away.
It's going to be a tough few weeks following from the comfort of home but I'll be glued to the TV and radio.
Just hope we've recharged the batteries and got enough in the tank to stay up, I thought our performances had started to improve before lockdown.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
Happy that season will be finished. However not sure my huge enthusiasm for the game will be rekindled ever. This covid problem has made me and I`m sure everyone else consider what is important in life.

Football at the moment is very low on that list !

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
bunch of melts our fanbase sometimes isnt it.

If we were playing tonight, I'd be buzzing.

Football is as much about the social for me but be good when its back.

People slating the Bundesliga etc. Did they watch it before all this. I reckon if you know the teams inside out its a different watch all together.

Glad its coming back. Another step to normality

If the last two months have shown anything it’s that normality is vastly overrated.

Agree with you about football coming back though

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I think we have missed about nine games. But if Albion carry on as they are the additional nine next season will make up for it...

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Can I just suggest to those who don't want to watch, er don't? Not sure why thread after thread is full of people telling us why they don't want to watch football on a football forum? Nobody cares. Anymore than they care that I do want to. It's a long way from what we would want but at least its a game to see. If you don't feel its right, thats your prerogative but why feel the need to tell everyone else?

I will not be watching, Eastenders, Coronation St or Britain's Got Talent, any thread mentioning these programmes I may feel the need to repeat this statement :D I will also of course also have to provide chapter and verse as to why not...

What about Mrs Browns Boys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Difficult to get motivated with whats going on generally and more specifically whats been going on at home. I also find watching the albion on TV excruciatingly painful, more tolerable in a pub for a number of reasons but that isn't going to happen either. Maybe i will be more positive nearer the time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Unfortunately not all that bothered at all. Summer is cricket season for me, I think the football at this time of the year will seem like preseason friendlies. Still I’m sure there are lots who are looking forward to it and good luck to them.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
You care so little about this that you've replied. I am sorry for posting a thread about something, something that I haven't seen here as mostly I have looked at the coronavirus threads in this crisis. Can I suggest that if you don't like a thread, you don't rant about it? I don't post on world's hardest creature threads and myriads of others, that is how one shows one doesn't care.

I wouldn't call it a rant exactly :lolol: Seen way too many posts about how people aren't going to do something. I am just pointing out the absurdity of all these people queuing up to explain why they are not doing something rather than just not doing it...

Do whatever makes you happy it won't be as good as the real thing that is certain...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Difficult to get motivated with whats going on generally and more specifically whats been going on at home. I also find watching the albion on TV excruciatingly painful, more tolerable in a pub for a number of reasons but that isn't going to happen either. Maybe i will be more positive nearer the time.

I am motivated for the coming football.

But I agree with you, you can’t beat going to matches, for me it allows you to noisily vent any stresses and frustrations at the time. Watching on TV you feel completely helpless should the Albion start throwing away a match in slow motion, pain always exacerbated by :wanker: commentary team.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Have you not read the thread title, or have you misunderstood the purpose of the question mark?

A question was asked, so people answered it.

The same question asked over and over again. You don't want to watch it fine. Why get so uppity about being called on it? A thread on a football forum about not watching football? Can you not see that is a little strange when it happens once and this is about the 5th time I've seen it. Watch or don't entirely your own choice surely?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I'm sorry, I know it's not a popular answer but I am looking forward to the return of the Premier League and more specifically, the return of BHAFC. I've watched them away at Cambridge or at home at Preistfield, so why wouldn't I be excited about watching them now, albeit on the box? I can't wait to see a Dunk block, a piece of skill from Trossard or a finish from Maupay. Watching On Our Way this weekend reinforced that, as did the Bayern game last night.

It'll be different but it's still football, still the Albion.

Doesn't matter if the answer isn't popular, I was simply interested in seeing if others identified with how I felt. :thumbsup:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
The same question asked over and over again. You don't want to watch it fine. Why get so uppity about being called on it? A thread on a football forum about not watching football? Can you not see that is a little strange when it happens once and this is about the 5th time I've seen it. Watch or don't entirely your own choice surely?

I've seen one similar thread but that was probably over 6 weeks ago, can't say I've seen five threads or whatever, unlike the political threads that seem to dominate this football forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here