Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Return of football. Bothered?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Wait a minute, it's stopped hailing
Guys are swimming, guys are sailing
Playing football, gee that's bettah
Muddah, Faddah kindly disregard this letter

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
Great post, but I have to take issue with the last part. Given our precarious position in the table, I most certainly will be tuning in to watch our relegation rivals in action to cheer on the results I want. I've thought about this, and discovered that yes, I do indeed still very much give a shit. Watching their games play out in empty stadiums won't just be for entertainments sake, it'll be with a view to what we NEED.

I've been thinking about what I wrote earlier and talking with a few friends and I will admit that once we get down to the last few games, if it's all still in the balance, then the chances of me watching a game that could have a baring on our season will increase. I'm still doubtful I'll be watching Villa vs Sheff Utd on the restart day though, I will, however, be keeping everything crossed for an away win.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
That's very easy to say when you're not one of those affected by it. Clearly to me, those on here that are saying "not bothered about football's return" have a bit of compassion for there fellow man, even if it doesn't directly affect them, but are thinking of those that have been, and are likely to be.

Football will be a welcome distraction for some, a return to normality, unfortunately for many many others it won't even come onto their radar.

Think you have me wrong. It is not a matter of compassion - I had a son who died of cancer so know all about that (as well as one who has had CV but recovered fine) - it is a matter of coming to terms with an event that is unprecedented in our lifetimes. If folk wish to forget football so be it, that is up to them. It may just be that they find it difficult presently. Understand that. But to say that football should not restart effectively says everyone should forget football, and that is effectively forcing their view on everyone else.

And it is disproportionate for the reason I set out: the virus is nasty, people die, but there are many other diseases (not to mention famine, war and the like) that are nasty and people die. Yet we play football. Repeat: if folk want to forget football, no problem. But that doesn't mean football should not start. FWIW, I think it is all Mickey and would rather season had been cancelled, but respect that others have a different view and once it starts, might change my mind.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Think you have me wrong. It is not a matter of compassion - I had a son who died of cancer so know all about that (as well as one who has had CV but recovered fine) - it is a matter of coming to terms with an event that is unprecedented in our lifetimes. If folk wish to forget football so be it, that is up to them. It may just be that they find it difficult presently. Understand that. But to say that football should not restart effectively says everyone should forget football, and that is effectively forcing their view on everyone else.

And it is disproportionate for the reason I set out: the virus is nasty, people die, but there are many other diseases (not to mention famine, war and the like) that are nasty and people die. Yet we play football. Repeat: if folk want to forget football, no problem. But that doesn't mean football should not start. FWIW, I think it is all Mickey and would rather season had been cancelled, but respect that others have a different view and once it starts, might change my mind.

At no point have I said football shouldn't return. I have previously said there appears an indecent haste to get the ball rolling (excuse pun), and also think this season should have been scrapped.

I understand people die of cancer, and other diseases, but by and large we have little control over that - apart from self imposed harm, I e smokers getting lung cancer.

However Covid-19 doesn't follow those rules. It is passed on to others that don't know they have got it, until, well they've got it...

I am happy for people who will find football a pleasant distraction and a return to some sort of normality, but I just can't get enthusiastic about it for my own personal, well documented reasons.

I have 50 years of memories to remind me of my time supporting The Albion, so can quite happily do without the hear and now!

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

This. People are entitled to agree with the PL/Bloom/Barber that the PL may resume. Whilst other Albion fans might remain bitterly angry about it. There’s no right or wrong.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Project restart just isn’t exciting me. I think it’s a combination of other things outside of football which are more important occupying my mind and the thought of empty stadiums. I’m missing the event of an away trip meeting up with my mates and the regular routine of a home games. Watching a game in an empty stadium without physically being there will be too different. It’ll feel like a glorified training game.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I didn't think I'd be excited by it...but now we're actually getting dates on the horizon, a revised fixture list, to be honest I'm afraid I can't help myself. The moment the Albion step out into an empty stadium against Arsenal, I'm going to be ALL OVER it on the telly. Clear the decks, thats ALL I'm going to be doing that day. Devouring it, as I will all our other games AND those of our relegation rivals.

How can you not ?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I didn't think I'd be excited by it...but now we're actually getting dates on the horizon, a revised fixture list, to be honest I'm afraid I can't help myself. The moment the Albion step out into an empty stadium against Arsenal, I'm going to be ALL OVER it on the telly. Clear the decks, thats ALL I'm going to be doing that day. Devouring it, as I will all our other games AND those of our relegation rivals.

How can you not ?

This. Especially the bit about the other teams’ matches. Those games are of massive significance to the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here