Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Right at the start of this year's thread, someone asked if anyone had been to and/or rated Kindling. Has anyone? I'm due to go next week, although they've binned a la carte, so it's tasting menus only now.
Only just seen this post. I went there when there was a la carte. Won't be going back .... ever. Out of four mains only one was edible - the two fish mains weren't actually cooked and the Barnsley Chop was all fat - not even rendered fat. Complained and got the fish wiped from the bill but the answer about the lamb was "well most people like it that way". I've eaten many a Barnsley Chop and they've always been meaty with a bit of fat. Owner is an absolute cretin.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Also sourcing opinions on Mowgli? Wanted to go to Bincho but trying to book a table for Friday or Saturday in there is rare as rocking horse shit.

Is it me or do you need to book at least 4 weeks in advance for popular places in Brighton at the moment? Cost of living, what cost of living?

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I see the legendary DK Oyster Bar on Mykonos is limbering up for its traditional season of Sun, Sea & Scam. Anyone ever had the misfortune to go there? @dwayne?

No !

But this is the first time in about 10 years I'm not going to mykky this summer. The place has become one big scam. Which is ok if you're a big time launderer or drug dealer (or even dumb footballer) trying to burn cash but not so great for people who don't like getting ripped off massively.

Few other people doing the same and avoiding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No !

But this is the first time in about 10 years I'm not going to mykky this summer. The place has become one big scam. Which is ok if you're a big time launderer or drug dealer (or even dumb footballer) trying to burn cash but not so great for people who don't like getting ripped off massively.

Few other people doing the same and avoiding.
A friend of mine went to Mykonos a summer or two ago BUT he has a friend who works, and has many contacts, in the nightlife sector. Some of the stories he told me are quite crazy and at times scary.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Also sourcing opinions on Mowgli? Wanted to go to Bincho but trying to book a table for Friday or Saturday in there is rare as rocking horse shit.

Is it me or do you need to book at least 4 weeks in advance for popular places in Brighton at the moment? Cost of living, what cost of living?
I did a review a few pages back, and commented above.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
A friend of mine went to Mykonos a summer or two ago BUT he has a friend who works, and has many contacts, in the nightlife sector. Some of the stories he told me are quite crazy and at times scary.
Like all these flash places it's run by gangsters. But it seems to be the worst of the lot. There's barely any police there and if you get a villa there, more than likely you will get robbed if you don't have security !!!

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Red Roaster, The Dome Brighton.

Had lunch there today. The outside areas were all taken so we shown inside.

It’s a very smart restaurant with nice staff who were very relaxed and friendly.

Lots of choice especially for non meat eaters, which was the main reason for going to this venue as our friend is a vegetarian.

Good choices on the menu, all at very reasonable prices. The desserts in particular are spectacular.

We were all very impressed both with the food and service.

IMG_2435.jpeg
IMG_2436.jpeg
IMG_2437.jpeg
IMG_2438.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went to a local restaurant, called Lokal, last night. It's a smart and relaxed place which has been serving the neighbourhood for over a decade now. Last night they had pork and sardines on the menu. Personally I have never come across this surf-and-turf variation before but boy does it work. It helps that I love sardines, but the salty acidic taste of the fish works so well with the pork. I imagine @Bakero cooks this most weeks on his sunny terrace but it's new for me.

Any other sea and land combos this ignorant boy should be aware of?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Went to a local restaurant, called Lokal, last night. It's a smart and relaxed place which has been serving the neighbourhood for over a decade now. Last night they had pork and sardines on the menu. Personally I have never come across this surf-and-turf variation before but boy does it work. It helps that I love sardines, but the salty acidic taste of the fish works so well with the pork. I imagine @Bakero cooks this most weeks on his sunny terrace but it's new for me.

Any other sea and land combos this ignorant boy should be aware of?

Pork and seafood is a winning combo but never have I tried sardines and pork together. I'll have to give that a go. What cut of pork was it?

Pig and seafood recommendations:

Mussels with nduja
Squid stuffed with morcilla/black pudding
Bacon/pancetta/guanciale with anything from the sea
Pork belly and prawns
Cod/hake/monkfish with chorizo
Clams with sausage/chorizo/nduja/any pork basically
Shrimp paste in any pork curry

The possibilities are endless 🐷 🐙🦑🦐🦞🦀🐟

I've suddenly got a hankering for a pork and prawn banh xeo

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Just looked online for some pork and sardine inspiration and didn't find much. Some minced pork and sardine pot sticker dumplings sound interesting.

Also this

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
The Catalans have Mar i Muntanya the sea and the mountain. Chicken and prawn is most common, but I ate one in the North which contained rabbit, snails, prawns, fish and dark chocolate. I found it delicious, but I guess the combination would have frightened many people off. Chocolate is more usually used in Mexican savoury dishes, so it is not that left of field to be included here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pork and seafood is a winning combo but never have I tried sardines and pork together. I'll have to give that a go. What cut of pork was it?

Pig and seafood recommendations:

Mussels with nduja
Squid stuffed with morcilla/black pudding
Bacon/pancetta/guanciale with anything from the sea
Pork belly and prawns
Cod/hake/monkfish with chorizo
Clams with sausage/chorizo/nduja/any pork basically
Shrimp paste in any pork curry

The possibilities are endless 🐷 🐙🦑🦐🦞🦀🐟

I've suddenly got a hankering for a pork and prawn banh xeo
It was quite lean, maybe a tenderloin.

You remind me of Mussels with nduja….what a dish.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Apparently, beef and squid is also a thing.

Not sure how I feel about that but I'd give it a go.

Also, after seeing the above video, found a Chinese beef and squid stir fry which reminded me there are couple of Vietnamese dishes with this land and sea combo.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Lamb and anchovy is quite common as well right ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not open yet but this sounds interesting. Run by Johnny Stanford who has worked at The Pass, and at one of my favourite recent restaurants, Pascere in Brighton, which unfortunately did not last long.

It’s sharing the upstairs space on Worthing Pier where the Perch is.

Bookings now being taken for a "Preview Month" from 6th July.

The site has now been updated with an £85 7-course tasting menu. It will be interesting to see if that is their only offering - I'm not convinced Worthing is ready for that just yet.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Went to London yesterday to see the Yayoi Kusama Infinity Room at the Tate Modern. A fun and amazing experience.

After wandering around settled on J Sheekey, in Covent Garden as we both fancied fish and the set menu looked good at £39 for three courses.

It certainly surpassed our expectations, and was excellent value. With two cocktails and service was £120.

IMG_2478.jpeg
IMG_2479.jpeg
IMG_2481.jpeg

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bookings now being taken for a "Preview Month" from 6th July.

The site has now been updated with an £85 7-course tasting menu. It will be interesting to see if that is their only offering - I'm not convinced Worthing is ready for that just yet.
Agreed, especially winter months.

Is Sylvan Oak still set menu type thing, how much is that now ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here