Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
I had anchovies wrapped in jamon iberico at a little place in Oviedo a few years which was memorable. I was accustomed to seeing pork paired with fleshier seafood (like scallops and bacon) but this was brilliant. The place was literally next to a market so you knew the produce was spot on.

I have salmon and chorizo fishcakes on my menu at the moment, they fly out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I’ve been making Theo Randall’s version of meat and two veg for years. Pork with a leak and potato bake that has anchovies in. It’s a family favourite and the scrapings from the saucepan when you’ve made the infused cream are outstanding.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Decided to continue the pig and pesce theme by ordering a side of anchovies my my bacon Benedict this morning. Not bad.

1687004102438.jpeg

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Decided to continue the pig and pesce theme by ordering a side of anchovies my my bacon Benedict this morning. Not bad.

View attachment 162397
Nice thought it looks (without the anchovies) that is no Benedict. No English Muffin, strange green stuff under the egg where the meat should be. Need to get you back to Blighty to remember what a real Benedict is like🙂

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Carne, Church Road, Hove

Tried the latest place to inhabit the doomed ex-Orsino space on Church Road. Though it looked busy with people on outside tables when we arrived it was very quiet inside, except for a party of about 12 blokes, something you'd more normally expect in an Indian at that time on a Saturday. Service was slow and not very good at all. Someone took our drink order, a minute or so later someone else arrived and just hovvered at the table. Eventually he too asked if we wanted drinks.

The food was mostly excellent. For the benefit of @Herr Tubthumper and @Goldstone1976 they do the bone marrow on toast starter and it is superb. However, unlike St John where the wine doesn't come in proper glasses, here it doesn't come at all. A decent bottle of Appassimento finally appeared between starters and mains after they were prompted. The chateaubriand meanwhile is TINY. Advertised for two. Barely feeds one. It was perfectly cooked thought and the truffle and parmesan fries were incredible, crisp and absolutely doused in topping.

Overall very good food let down by a terrible atmosphere, poor value and below average service. There are too many other restaurants in that area for me to bother going back again. 5/10

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have also booked this place for the Frau's birthday

This is what Michelin, who gave it star a few weeks back, has to say;

"This is a unique place! Chic minimalist modern design meets a stylish period interior with wonderful high ceilings with stucco moulding, but it is a striking piece of street art that is most likely to grab your attention: with her provocative bondage image, artist Anne Bengard pays tribute to the artsy neighbourhood around the Heckmann Höfe, where the restaurant is located. Technically sophisticated and flavoursome, the dishes are served as a modern and creative set menu, which also comes in a vegetarian version. Theatre-goers might want to opt for the Early Evening Menu. For a private dinner, you can book the separate "Secret Table"."

It been on our radar for a while now, especially as it's in our neighbourhood. I sense I will either love it, or hate it and all the people who eat there.
Visited last night and had a very enjoyable evening. Its an 8 course tasting menu and we took the wine pairing which had a few naturals in it; they weren’t too brutal. The dining room is gorgeous and light and airy, staff attentive and food excellently executed. If I had to criticise then maybe one of the two asparagus or two cheese based dishes could have been replaced with meat or fish. That said, Germans do go a bit asparagus crazy when it’s in season. It was also reasonable in price for a Michelin starred restaurant in the heart of Mitte with an early evening set price 3 course meal offer if that’s your thing.

i wrap up the Frau’s birthday week tonight with a trip to The Bird.

1687073885348.jpeg

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Nice thought it looks (without the anchovies) that is no Benedict. No English Muffin, strange green stuff under the egg where the meat should be. Need to get you back to Blighty to remember what a real Benedict is like🙂
Ha ha. Yes, they have free-styled somewhat. It’s an eggs Florentine with a slice of brioche instead of a muffin. Bacon and anchovies are sides.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Carne, Church Road, Hove

Tried the latest place to inhabit the doomed ex-Orsino space on Church Road. Though it looked busy with people on outside tables when we arrived it was very quiet inside, except for a party of about 12 blokes, something you'd more normally expect in an Indian at that time on a Saturday. Service was slow and not very good at all. Someone took our drink order, a minute or so later someone else arrived and just hovvered at the table. Eventually he too asked if we wanted drinks.

The food was mostly excellent. For the benefit of @Herr Tubthumper and @Goldstone1976 they do the bone marrow on toast starter and it is superb. However, unlike St John where the wine doesn't come in proper glasses, here it doesn't come at all. A decent bottle of Appassimento finally appeared between starters and mains after they were prompted. The chateaubriand meanwhile is TINY. Advertised for two. Barely feeds one. It was perfectly cooked thought and the truffle and parmesan fries were incredible, crisp and absolutely doused in topping.

Overall very good food let down by a terrible atmosphere, poor value and below average service. There are too many other restaurants in that area for me to bother going back again. 5/10
Seems like there‘s a good restaurant in there somewhere. Shame.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Visited last night and had a very enjoyable evening. Its an 8 course tasting menu and we took the wine pairing which had a few naturals in it; they weren’t too brutal. The dining room is gorgeous and light and airy, staff attentive and food excellently executed. If I had to criticise then maybe one of the two asparagus or two cheese based dishes could have been replaced with meat or fish. That said, Germans do go a bit asparagus crazy when it’s in season. It was also reasonable in price for a Michelin starred restaurant in the heart of Mitte with an early evening set price 3 course meal offer if that’s your thing.

i wrap up the Frau’s birthday week tonight with a trip to The Bird.

View attachment 162415
A menu with meat AND fish? Truly they have pushed the boat out. ;)

Glad you had a good time; enjoy the Bird.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yep. The menu reads well and the chef is excellent. But everything else…
I guess the labour shortages in the hospitality sector play a big part in the quality of service. Pre-Covid and Brexit there was a large pool of staff to choose from; employers could pick the best from this pool. Now they have to take what they can get.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I guess the labour shortages in the hospitality sector play a big part in the quality of service. Pre-Covid and Brexit there was a large pool of staff to choose from; employers could pick the best from this pool. Now they have to take what they can get.
Yep. Not the only place in Brighton that’s struggling to recruit. LFM has never been the same since their excellent front of house left. Doesn’t excuse a “sharing” dish that’s basically three thin strips of beef each though.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Now Semolina on Baker Street has closed, you may be interested to know that the chef is now doing lunches at The Village (what used to be the Horse and Groom aka Doom and Gloom) on the corner of Coleman Street and Islingword Road in Hanover.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Tutto

Soooo, it's PRETTY good. Nice room done out stylishly but not stuffily. Service breezy and efficient (though we were there early, espect it becomes a bit slower as the room fills up. Food is good, though there are a couple of things I wouldn't order again, namely the Gamberi Rossi (two not massive prawns for 10.50?) and the onglet (not cooked particularly well for an 18 quid dish, though the peppers it came with were lovely).

Two stand out dishes are the chicken milanese and the fried courgettes with pecorino and honey. Both of these dishes are available on their reasonably priced Taste of Tutto menu which comes in at 36 quid a head and I would get this next time. The rigatoni was good, mainy due to the ragu, but you'll find far better cooked pasta at Cin Cin.

We spent 156 quid which includes service, 4 cocktails and a large glass of wine. The wine list was a bit challenging, we tried 4 and I didn't like any of them so had 3 daquiris which were very good to be fair. They recommend choosing 3/4 dishes per person, which I think is over the top. You could easily get away with 4/5 dishes in total, including two of the larger plates, if you aren't big eaters. This would make it very affordable.

Would be a good place for a celebration as it's a nice big space and the set menus would make for an enjoyable time without having a break in conversation.

As with their other ventures in town they do a 3 course weekday menu for 25 quid, which cannot be sniffed at these days. Great value.

A solid 7.5/10

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Hopefully the combined knowledge of the NSC "bon viveurs" can help me here....

Its my 50th next month and I'm looking for somewhere well priced with a good atmosphere where I can book a table for 20 or so people.

Not too fussed on region: could be Italian, Greek, Middle Eastern, etc...

Just somewhere fun with good food and a decent amount of space and hopefully fairly central to Brighton.

Fanks!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Its my 50th next month and I'm looking for somewhere well priced with a good atmosphere where I can book a table for 20 or so people.

Just somewhere fun with good food and a decent amount of space and hopefully fairly central to Brighton.

Fanks!
Indian Summer, Chilli Pickle, A Taste of Sahara (bit pokey), Terre a Terre, Tutto (see review above), Franco Manca (nice room upstairs and very reasonable prices), Market has a private room I think.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013

Fanks!

Italian under new ownership, food is good and is pretty spacious for a large group.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Went back to Lokal last night, had pork with herring this time.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Just returned from a leisurely lunch at the Crabshack, a birthday treat for Mrs.C and a couple of friends. Been meaning to go for some time, but boy am l glad that l did.

An absolute fishy feast, though they make no concessions if you are a meat eater! Sat on a lovely outdoor table for 4 under the canopy looking out to sea. Efficient and friendly service too.

The restaurant was absolutely packed, bookings only being accomoadated, with numerous people being turned away. We will revisit soon.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Bajan Jerk Box @ Lost+Found

Lost+Found taproom at Fiveways (Village) have ‘street food’ (food) vans outside for the summer. It’s good. Bajan Jerk Box do various events and cater weddings, which would go down brilliantly on this evidence. They’d run out of jerk chicken by the time I’d got there but the goat curry was excellent, made my face sweat in all the right places. Excellent plantain too. 12.50 for goat curry is good value considering I was stuffed last night and am enjoying it for breakfast as I type.

8.8/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here