Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Been to 2 great restaurants in the last week - Kusaki near Preston Circus and Rovi in that there London.

Kusaki is a veg sushi place - we sat at the bar had several plates of well cooked food and a cocktail/ glasses of wine. I don't eat meat but do fish and thought it would be meh, but each dish different enough to be intriguing. Excellent service.

For my daughter's birthday we went to Rovi in FitzROVIa. Its one of Yotam Ottolenghi 's places so expect complexly spiced, mainly veg food. Great decor and service, fantastic food and wine £180 for 3 wine and 12.5% service. It was much better than 4th and Church which we've been big fans of until a recent visit.
Went to Kusaki for valentine's last year and it was delicious. We got a 7 course tasting menu for £35 a head I think and every course was great.

Still need to try their normal menu though.
PXL_20220214_174305954.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220214_173337007.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220214_175530981.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220214_172759262.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220214_181150718.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20220214_173315611.PORTRAIT.jpg

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Went for a lunch in the Coach and Horses in Danehill on NYD. Very busy and despite the numbers in there (and we were a table of 11) all the food was decent enough. I stand by the fact, though, that roast dinners are the most pointless meal to eat at a restaurant. I had the fish and chips and they did a job. Decent pint of Long Man Best. Service was good. 6/10
Depends on where you're going.

The Roundhill won best roast dinner in Brighton and Hove and is absolutely delicious. Also serve some good, reasonably priced pints in there.
PXL_20230205_142740474.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20230205_142734198.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
For the vegetarians here who might miss fish and chips, No Catch in Brighton is excellent having been there twice.

The "Smoked Haddock" is delicious and flaky whilst the Saveloy is much as I remember them to be.

Excellent triple cooked chips too in a big portion size.
PXL_20220216_122948910.PORTRAIT.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20220216_122958117.PORTRAIT.jpg
    PXL_20220216_122958117.PORTRAIT.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 73

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went to Mowgli today in the former site of Oasis down Duke Street. Indian food in thali / small dish type style. Very modern, bunch of tables the seats are essentially swings.

Small chain run by Nisha Katona who is on most BBC food programs at some point.

It has just opened but was completely full at lunch today. Good range of food, all the curry’s were pretty well spiced, even the milder ones. The ginger chicken curry , lamb keema & the chaaat bombs were very good.

Did find one or 2 dishes a bit watery, price was about right - personally I’d probably rather go curry leaf cafe or chilli pickle - but it does have a ‘trendier’ factor about it and good drinks menu
Went on a date to the one in Leeds when at university, a naked man ran along the street with a machete and got tasered right in front of us. Kind of ruined the date and didn’t get a second one, she thought it was weird that I carried on eating as he got tasered.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
First trip back to 64 Degrees since the pandemic for an anniversary meal last night. The old "tapas" style pick a few dishes and share is long gone and replaced by a tasting menu with optional wine flight (the wine flight is never optional as far as I'm concerned, but still). It's always been a toss up between this place and Little Fish Market for best restaurant in Brighton in my mind and it's probably easier to compare them now they have a similar offering and very similar price.

Michael Bremner is back in the kitchen regularly and brought out one of our dishes which was one of the stand out offerings, a perfectly cooked octopus dish absolutely slathered in the flavour of coriander. The only dish I wasn't keen on was an asparagus one which was a bowl full of things I don't like but Mrs GB happily finished mine. Another vegetarian dish, a soup served with amazing freshly baked bread was another favourite however so they can certainly do veggie flavour. Perhaps best of all was a lamb dish, perfectly cooked fillet with two different textures of turnip and a confit of potatoes with yet more lamb in, served with a full on Georgian red wine (ever tried Saperavi NSC wine buffs?).

Service was outstanding, perfectly paced, friendly and incredibly knowledgeable and layout wise the place hasn't changed in the four years or so since we were last there.

The only thing about the change in style is that the old place was somewhere we'd often try and sneak in if they had a cancellation or space at an odd time (late Sunday lunch or early Friday dinner were often free at relatively short notice for a few dishes at the counter, which wouldn't break the bank). However, with the outstanding quality of front of house and Michael keeping things ship shape in the kitchen it looks to me like they might be pushing for a star.

9.5 / 10 (I really didn't like the asparagus)

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
First trip back to 64 Degrees since the pandemic for an anniversary meal last night. The old "tapas" style pick a few dishes and share is long gone and replaced by a tasting menu with optional wine flight (the wine flight is never optional as far as I'm concerned, but still). It's always been a toss up between this place and Little Fish Market for best restaurant in Brighton in my mind and it's probably easier to compare them now they have a similar offering and very similar price.

Michael Bremner is back in the kitchen regularly and brought out one of our dishes which was one of the stand out offerings, a perfectly cooked octopus dish absolutely slathered in the flavour of coriander. The only dish I wasn't keen on was an asparagus one which was a bowl full of things I don't like but Mrs GB happily finished mine. Another vegetarian dish, a soup served with amazing freshly baked bread was another favourite however so they can certainly do veggie flavour. Perhaps best of all was a lamb dish, perfectly cooked fillet with two different textures of turnip and a confit of potatoes with yet more lamb in, served with a full on Georgian red wine (ever tried Saperavi NSC wine buffs?).

Service was outstanding, perfectly paced, friendly and incredibly knowledgeable and layout wise the place hasn't changed in the four years or so since we were last there.

The only thing about the change in style is that the old place was somewhere we'd often try and sneak in if they had a cancellation or space at an odd time (late Sunday lunch or early Friday dinner were often free at relatively short notice for a few dishes at the counter, which wouldn't break the bank). However, with the outstanding quality of front of house and Michael keeping things ship shape in the kitchen it looks to me like they might be pushing for a star.

I’ve not been for years but both you and @Uncle Buck have been recently and both still rate it highly….which is pleasing. Agree about “optional” wine pairing :lolol:

When I went @Uter and myself couldn’t decide what to order….so ordered the lot bar one vegetarian dish; tasting menus remove this conundrum.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Prism - Fritschestraße 48, 10627 Berlin

The missus and myself had some catching up to do and decided to treat ourselves ….it just so happened the German Michelin stars were announced at the same time and this place caught my eye. ”Modern Levantine Cuisine” the landing page states, and with chef Gal Ben Moshe having worked in the kitchens of Jason Atherton and Marcus Wearing, a number of seafood options, I was intrigued and interested.

The dining room is a small but cosy and welcoming place, and after being seated we ordered fizz to accompany the menu. The missus suggested ordering another glass; not wanting to rock the evening I agreed….happy wife, happy life. It was a tasting menu and after saying yes to all the things with asterisks next to them, choosing the wine pairing and saying no to the allergies question we sat back.

First up someone came to the table with a tray of raw ingredients they use from the Levantine region, plus explanations about the history and why they’re used. You could touch and smell, it was a fun and informative way to start.

Having been to too many concept restaurants recently, I liked the fact the dishes where recognisable. They were well executed and technically precise with a nice east Med twist. Wines were from the same region. The amuse bouchées are some of the best I have had…check them out on the menu to follow.

The staff were friendly, fun and attentive when needed. All things considered it’s one of the best restaurant experiences I have had in a long while.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Menu

Attachments

• F9071A30-881C-4FDA-BD45-1CE99E9042E3.jpeg
    F9071A30-881C-4FDA-BD45-1CE99E9042E3.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 99

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Ahem. Might have done:

(It's delicious. They also do another Georgian red at c£14, also well worth a go.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I have also booked this place for the Frau's birthday

This is what Michelin, who gave it star a few weeks back, has to say;

"This is a unique place! Chic minimalist modern design meets a stylish period interior with wonderful high ceilings with stucco moulding, but it is a striking piece of street art that is most likely to grab your attention: with her provocative bondage image, artist Anne Bengard pays tribute to the artsy neighbourhood around the Heckmann Höfe, where the restaurant is located. Technically sophisticated and flavoursome, the dishes are served as a modern and creative set menu, which also comes in a vegetarian version. Theatre-goers might want to opt for the Early Evening Menu. For a private dinner, you can book the separate "Secret Table"."

It been on our radar for a while now, especially as it's in our neighbourhood. I sense I will either love it, or hate it and all the people who eat there.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I have also booked this place for the Frau's birthday

This is what Michelin, who gave it star a few weeks back, has to say;

"This is a unique place! Chic minimalist modern design meets a stylish period interior with wonderful high ceilings with stucco moulding, but it is a striking piece of street art that is most likely to grab your attention: with her provocative bondage image, artist Anne Bengard pays tribute to the artsy neighbourhood around the Heckmann Höfe, where the restaurant is located. Technically sophisticated and flavoursome, the dishes are served as a modern and creative set menu, which also comes in a vegetarian version. Theatre-goers might want to opt for the Early Evening Menu. For a private dinner, you can book the separate "Secret Table"."

It been on our radar for a while now, especially as it's in our neighbourhood. I sense I will either love it, or hate it and all the people who eat there.
Glad the fat man assessor spent so much time extolling the virtues of the food and the cooking in that review…

Enjoy!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Glad the fat man assessor spent so much time extolling the virtues of the food and the cooking in that review…

Enjoy!
I think he was, how can I phrase it.....overwhelmed by the 'provocative bondage image'

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Went on a date to the one in Leeds when at university, a naked man ran along the street with a machete and got tasered right in front of us. Kind of ruined the date and didn’t get a second one, she thought it was weird that I carried on eating as he got tasered.
The main reason I think I didn’t get a second date was because I shouted: “well it’s dinner with a show!”

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I have never tried Octopus, I don't think I can eat something that is almost as intelligent as a human being. You know, almost like a Millwall fan ?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Right at the start of this year's thread, someone asked if anyone had been to and/or rated Kindling. Has anyone? I'm due to go next week, although they've binned a la carte, so it's tasting menus only now.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Right at the start of this year's thread, someone asked if anyone had been to and/or rated Kindling. Has anyone? I'm due to go next week, although they've binned a la carte, so it's tasting menus only now.
Another bloody restaurant going tasting only menue

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here