Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s my monthly visit to Lokal tonight….as usual I will report back on their “surf and turf” dish :lolol:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
This one is off the beaten track but went r
to Burger and Bird on the coast road in peacehaven. The halloumi kebab flatbread was great as was the stuffed jalapenos

Decent cocktail selection and beer menu.

There is a monthly comedy night there too.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s my monthly visit to Lokal tonight….as usual I will report back on their “surf and turf” dish :lolol:
It was Veal and oyster

7D00CBE4-EE73-43F2-81F9-29372E0F6D10.jpeg

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Currently, in the Maris and Otter pre-Palmito and can't for the life of me work out what pub this used to be. Any ideas?

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've heard mostly positive feedback, but one or two less effusive reviews. Do feedback. It's a pretty 'inventive' menu, so that might explain how it divides opinion.

My review is eminently effusive. Best meal I've had in Brighton or elsewhere in a long while. 6 dishes, no misses.

Started with a mezcal cocktail, which was suitably punchy. My partner had a very drinkable strawberry and coconut caiprinha.

Food-wise it was hard to choose as everything sounded great. We ordered some corn, plantain chips and pico de gallo while we decided, then went for two things from the veg section, 2 from the fish, and 1 from the meat. Was the crab the standout dish? Or the hispi cabbage? Or the birria tacos? Impossible to say.

Only 2 desserts on the menu, one of which they'd run out of and the other was a twist on tiramisu so we just went for a mirto and mezcal.

Friendly efficient service too. It came to about £130 for 2 including tip.

IMG20240810142006.jpg
IMG20240810141340.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My review is eminently effusive. Best meal I've had in Brighton or elsewhere in a long while. 6 dishes, no misses.

Started with a mezcal cocktail, which was suitably punchy. My partner had a very drinkable strawberry and coconut caiprinha.

Food-wise it was hard to choose as everything sounded great. We ordered some corn, plantain chips and pico de gallo while we decided, then went for two things from the veg section, 2 from the fish, and 1 from the meat. Was the crab the standout dish? Or the hispi cabbage? Or the birria tacos? Impossible to say.

Only 2 desserts on the menu, one of which they'd run out of and the other was a twist on tiramisu so we just went for a mirto and mezcal.

Friendly efficient service too. It came to about £130 for 2 including tip.

View attachment 186964 View attachment 186963
Sounds good, and a reasonable price as well.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
This one is off the beaten track but went r
to Burger and Bird on the coast road in peacehaven. The halloumi kebab flatbread was great as was the stuffed jalapenos

Decent cocktail selection and beer menu.

There is a monthly comedy night there too.
What were the jalapenos stuffed with? I have some absolute monsters waiting to be picked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
I went to Tutto with friends last night. Remembering the original Grace Dent review I was a little wary but I think someone on here went more recently and enjoyed it.

To start, my dining companions shared the Sea Bream Crudo as a starter which they said worked really well with the smoked chilli and pickled nectarine.

For mains, two of us had the Pork Chop Agrodolce with Radicchio, Caper & Semi-Dried Tomato and a side of the Wood-Fired Pink Fir Potatoes with Garlic and Rosemary. The pork chop was pretty big but perfectly cooked and the Pink Fir potatoes much better than the ones I had in Flint House a few weeks ago.

The other person had the Prawn and Crayfish Pansotti Bisque with Orange and Samphire - he said it was very nice but not very filling for a main course.

For dessert, I had the Chocolate Hazelnut Torte with Maraschino Cherries and a cherry Gelato which was very good with the richness of the torte offset by the cherries. The others had the Lemon Cremoso with Basil Granita, Strawberries, Limoncello Jelly (one of these was made dairy free) and they both said it was also very good.

As we paid the bill, they gave us some very nice chocolate truffles and, for the person who is dairy free, they gave her a complimentary Limoncello.

The service was very good and I would definitely go back - with drinks it came in at under £55 a head.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went to a new gaff in Whitstable the other week called Lazy Lobster who are trying to do small plates but really need to shorten the menu or remove the two big plates that exist on it which throw it all out. All a bit confused at the moment and the service, which was very pleasant, was delivered by a couple of young ladies who were not yet up to speed (and slightly overworked imo) and couldn't and didn't really want to advise on anything. I wouldn't go back for a while and to be honest maybe never as there's a lot better on offer in the town ie Harbour Street Tapas and Wheelers.

Oh yeah the tables are too small for small plates especially as they plonked the wine bucket on the table too.

Basically, don't change a pub into a small plates restaurant.

Think we spent 110 quid including a bottle of wine which seemed a lot.

5.2/10

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My sort of restaurant (from a couple of weeks ago)
View attachment 186967
Memories of childhood holidays to France, and later taking my own kids to visit relatives there. I would think the highlighted line and the price is the only thing to have changed on that menu in decades and all the better for it.

I'll have the scallops, followed by the sweetbreads and the chocolate fondant :drool:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Went to a new gaff in Whitstable the other week called Lazy Lobster who are trying to do small plates but really need to shorten the menu or remove the two big plates that exist on it which throw it all out. All a bit confused at the moment and the service, which was very pleasant, was delivered by a couple of young ladies who were not yet up to speed (and slightly overworked imo) and couldn't and didn't really want to advise on anything. I wouldn't go back for a while and to be honest maybe never as there's a lot better on offer in the town ie Harbour Street Tapas and Wheelers.

Oh yeah the tables are too small for small plates especially as they plonked the wine bucket on the table too.

Basically, don't change a pub into a small plates restaurant.

Think we spent 110 quid including a bottle of wine which seemed a lot.

5.2/10
Wheelers is a bloody splendid place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here