Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant 2024 thread

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dead right. Many years ago we went for a top-notch lunch there. One of my oysters wasn’t quite right - so the waiter, the maître d’ and the chef all came to taste this regurgitated oyster. Impressive dedication to duty
I always thought oysters looked regurgitated already. Never had one but suspect it's like sucking phlegm off a slate.

That said, and in keeping with this thread, I'm sure wheelers do the best phlegm on slate around

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Last weekend we had visitors from out of town, one of whom couldn't walk very far. So we went to Kitgum on Preston Road opposite The Joker, and Curio on Clyde Road (opposite the Duke of Yorks). Both small plates (sigh) and Kitgum bigger plates weren't very big, but the quality of food was very high. Most excellent daal in Kitgum, which is East African / Gujarati. Curio was more snacky, I guess, and Mediterranean.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going to a vegetarian restaurant on Saturday evening. Feel compelled to tell you; getting into character.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Here’s the menu.

D84ED417-95E1-4121-A6FB-51E86313577D.jpeg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The tasting menu wine pairing doesn’t excite me, so I’ll go for a bottle I think. Can any wine experts* comment on this? Anything of note?

C306B35E-3EEA-4AD4-BE93-B164A8A588A4.jpeg

* I have two people in mind

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The tasting menu wine pairing doesn’t excite me, so I’ll go for a bottle I think. Can any wine experts* comment on this? Anything of note?

View attachment 187619

@Machiavelli and @McTavish ?

Despite your rudeness, I'll give you my opinion fwiw... I'd go for the PJ Kuhn Kabinett or the Franz Keller. If you're feeling adventurous, try the Odinstal.

They need to be served in decent glasses of course. If they try to serve them in St John-type glasses, you might as well drink Liebfraumilch tbh.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

View attachment 187619

Apols, I only know of Keller from that list and even that's a limited acquaintance, so go with G1976 suggestions. They all look compatible with the food you'd be eating. Enjoy

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
@Machiavelli and @McTavish ?

Despite your rudeness, I'll give you my opinion fwiw... I'd go for the PJ Kuhn Kabinett or the Franz Keller. If you're feeling adventurous, try the Odinstal.

They need to be served in decent glasses of course. If they try to serve them in St John-type glasses, you might as well drink Liebfraumilch tbh.
I'd forgotten @McTavish was knowledgable on wine as well. I hope he accepts my sincere apology.

The feeling adventurous comment intrigues me, what makes Odinstal such?

PS I'll report back on the wine glasses.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I'd forgotten @McTavish was knowledgable on wine as well. I hope he accepts my sincere apology.

The feeling adventurous comment intrigues me, what makes Odinstal such?

PS I'll report back on the wine glasses.
The grape. People think it's chardonnay-like - but then they get baked apple, almond, dried fruit, sometimes cinnamon. It's unusual. I like it.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The grape. People think it's chardonnay-like - but then they get baked apple, almond, dried fruit, sometimes cinnamon. It's unusual. I like it.
Now this interests me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here