Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Resentment towards new Falmer fans

dje shoreham

Nov 2, 2009
i would really like to see a few more kids wearing brighton shirts in sussex - not chelsea , man utd etc - getting falmer will get a lot of kids excited - a real atmosphere - a bit more like they see on match of the day. :falmer:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Go & jump in the pond Andy :lol:
People from Piddinghoe shouldn't be allowed into Falmer,unless there's a stand for horse holders/pig holders etc,downwind from everybody:rolleyes:

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
W.T.F.
Its a business not a social club,we need to get anyone who has the dosh and the will to put up with crap football into the ground in the hope of funding a rise through the league.
This is the same crap that we get from the "The Lewes Bonfire Night is only for local(7 toed/webbed feet/shite beer drinking)people-strangers please keep out on Nov 5th" brigade.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well being a sth since 1974/5 I should be given a ticket in the dug out :)

Anyway as I posted on a similar thread a few months ago, there is undoubtedly a few if not many supporters who, have campaigned and organised protests etc over the last decade who probably find what we as a club, are turning into a somewhat different animal to one they were fighting for.

Since Uncle Dick stepped down the club has leaped forwards in professionalism. This needed to happen so as to be ready for Falmer. The people who really helped and backed Dick will become less significant as the club evolves and with it the sense of a small community club will disappear.

If you want to remember and hold dear the bad days and the fight, go ahead. I for one will never forget the crap but it certainly will not stop me from enjoying the future years. The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Don't be suprised if we have 10 year waitimg lists for season tickets if we do reach the premiership.
Falmer capacity wouldn't cope with the demand.
This has happened at a few clubs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
oh FFS - what do you want A feckin medal.

I don't care who comes AS LONG AS THEY COME!:falmer:

Quite.

Anybody who ever joined a march or signed a petition or did anything at all to help the club survive through the dark days was hopefully doing it to ensure there would continue to be a football club in the town (or near enough!) for future generations to enjoy. It's not about establishing bragging rights and sneering at new or returning fans. Or at least it shouldn't be. Why not just relax and savour the prospect of watching the beautiful game in the beautiful new stadium? :falmer:

Last edited:

When we finally reach the promised land there shall be no room for hatred or in fighting. We will be one glorious unified army of blue and White. An army of rich of poor of men and women of all races and creeds the young and the old.
And my commrades we shall join as one and march onwards to glorious victory.
For the love of Brighton and hove Albion and the god given glory of Sussex by the sea.
Friends, the promised land is in sight let us lift our heads in joy and march on together.

I thank you.

jamie1972

Mar 4, 2010
Mid Sussex
i would really like to see a few more kids wearing brighton shirts in sussex - not chelsea , man utd etc - getting falmer will get a lot of kids excited - a real atmosphere - a bit more like they see on match of the day. :falmer:

The club have been doing loads with the Albion in the Community scheme to get local schools involved. They have about 20 schools a year that adopt a player who visits regularly, Gully in assembly etc, free tickets. The scheme is about to hit it's 3rd year. 20 x 3 x 500 kids per school (avg) = er...lots. 30,000 potential fans.

It's a great scheme and as someone who's been part of promoting it in my school I have been well chuffed to see Albion scarves hanging up in the cloakroom where once there were none. These kids then pester their parents to take them. A few hundred here, a few hundred there...the future is bright.

At first there were lots who said they were Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arse etc but now support both. If they are coming to Falmer every now and then and never ever seeing United or Liverpool live then hopefully we will see more lifelong Albion fans coming through.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The club have been doing loads with the Albion in the Community scheme to get local schools involved. They have about 20 schools a year that adopt a player who visits regularly, Gully in assembly etc, free tickets. The scheme is about to hit it's 3rd year. 20 x 3 x 500 kids per school (avg) = er...lots. 30,000 potential fans.

It's a great scheme and as someone who's been part of promoting it in my school I have been well chuffed to see Albion scarves hanging up in the cloakroom where once there were none. These kids then pester their parents to take them. A few hundred here, a few hundred there...the future is bright.

At first there were lots who said they were Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool, Arse etc but now support both. If they are coming to Falmer every now and then and never ever seeing United or Liverpool live then hopefully we will see more lifelong Albion fans coming through.

Absolutely. My son "graduates" from the after school classes at Withdean on Monday - his school have Gary Dicker as a regular visitor and the club regularly gets free tickets and now there are a fair few Albion fans at the school who otherwise would have been lost.

...and they got a visit to Falmer yesterday *jealous*

Onwards and upwards. This club is really going places at last.

Feb 14, 2010

That was a scheme suggested to the club and its great to hear that they have started it and that its working. Lets turn tis club not just back to what it was in the 70s but even better. The scheme with 20 schools is good, but can we double it, or treble it... as Obama and Bob the Builder would say - Yes we can.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Agreed WCP and definitely needs a bigger input in the satellite towns that make up the Albion heartland - Worthing, Shoreham, Eastbourne, LA, B Hill, H Heath, Hastings etc.

I'm really proud of what the club does

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
I suspect we are at the dawn of an era that we've really not seen at the club since the glory days of the late 70s/early 80s. Let's tick 'em off:

* decent stadium - check
* decent manager and coaching staff - check
* chairman with funds to back to the club - check
* promising squad of players - check
* widespread support starting to reawaken

What's not to like? Everyone who has been a regular over the Rubbish Years can give themselves a pat on the back, but unless the active support (ie people who come to games) at least doubles, it will be a false dawn.

So come one, come all - as has already been said. It's going to be quite a ride :falmer:

Feb 14, 2010
I suspect we are at the dawn of an era that we've really not seen at the club since the glory days of the late 70s/early 80s. Let's tick 'em off:

* decent stadium - check
* decent manager and coaching staff - check
* chairman with funds to back to the club - check
* promising squad of players - check
* widespread support starting to reawaken

What's not to like? Everyone who has been a regular over the Rubbish Years can give themselves a pat on the back, but unless the active support (ie people who come to games) at least doubles, it will be a false dawn.

So come one, come all - as has already been said. It's going to be quite a ride :falmer:

Sot on. Club has to get Sussex from east to west looking to the albion again for it football team. Its there, scratch the surface and most look out for the club. Its taking the next step and getting them to buy into the albion and whether they go 10 times or 2 times a year, making the albion the place of choice. Its great to see kids on the beaches, in the parks and at cricket in the summer wearing the albion's top.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
So long as I get my badge and medal as mentioned earlier I don't care who becomes a regular at Falmer.

jamie1972

Mar 4, 2010
Mid Sussex
That was a scheme suggested to the club and its great to hear that they have started it and that its working. Lets turn tis club not just back to what it was in the 70s but even better. The scheme with 20 schools is good, but can we double it, or treble it... as Obama and Bob the Builder would say - Yes we can.

I get the impression that the club do as much as they can with the number of player hours they can release. Ultimately teh football does come first. They're rotating the scheme through as many schools as they can though and 'our' player has been tremendous, going well beyong the call of duty in coming to sports days, after school stuff etc. He's been brilliant with the kids although he is shit at art.

I'm glad to see that the scheme survived as Gus wasn't keen and it took a lot of appealing from the schools and Albion Community team to keep it going. I was one of those who wrote to Mr Bloom and can only thank him for continuing to support/fund it - you're a good man.

Feb 14, 2010
I get the impression that the club do as much as they can with the number of player hours they can release. Ultimately teh football does come first. They're rotating the scheme through as many schools as they can though and 'our' player has been tremendous, going well beyong the call of duty in coming to sports days, after school stuff etc. He's been brilliant with the kids although he is shit at art.

I'm glad to see that the scheme survived as Gus wasn't keen and it took a lot of appealing from the schools and Albion Community team to keep it going. I was one of those who wrote to Mr Bloom and can only thank him for continuing to support/fund it - you're a good man.

yeah of course, but the bigger the fan base, the bigger the club gets and the better players we get. We dont have to use players for this scheme, and we can always buy 40 new Gully outfits and sling someone inside them to get into more schools. They also need to keep the club profle through secondary schools

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I have probably averaged 15-20 games a season at Withdean, suffering the cold, wind and rain along with the other 5K of hardcore fans.

Now I'm as enthusiastic as the next bloke about Falmer but I do find myself feeling a bit resentful towards all the 'fans' that are crawling out of the woodwork now the new stadium is only a year or so away.
I couldn't disagree more (ok, that's exaggerating a bit). Like you, I've felt like I've suffered a bit at the withdean, but I also enjoy going. They're my club and I want to see them play, so I don't feel I'm owed anything. And as for new fans, the more the merrier. I'd like people who had a vague interest in the club to go every week, I want those who live nearby but support distant teams (like liverpool etc) to become Brighton fans. If I don't always have a season ticket (for work reasons) and in the future I struggle to get a ticket for some games, I'll take that negative in exchange for a filled ground that will then likely be extended.

The fact is, we are still a small club (until we regularly get good numbers at falmer). If we can get people to jump on the band wagon and become a bigger club, I'll be happy as Larry.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
There seems to be a feeling that Brighton have a hard core of 5000 supporters as these are the numbers that regularly go to Withdean. I would argue, that aside from season ticket holders its not the same people that go every home game. There is crowd rotation, so the number of real fans is greater.
Add to this:
  • Those fans that cant be arsed to attend Withdean, because of the facilities.
  • Those that choose only to go to away games.
  • Those fans that find buying a ticket has lost the spontaneity of deciding to go just before kick off.

Now the number of fans grows significantly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here