Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Resentment towards new Falmer fans

D

Deleted User X18H

It's like saying I wish the council would reduce the CT of all those who have lived in Brighton since the 80's when it was shit, a bit run down, and depressing. Before it was uber trendy like it supposed to be today. Although it still has run down and depressing bits.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It's like saying I wish the council would reduce the CT of all those who have lived in Brighton since the 80's when it was shit, a bit run down, and depressing. Before it was uber trendy like it supposed to be today. Although it still has run down and depressing bits.

Hasn't Brighton always been uber trendy?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
Falmer will bring out lots of fans. My Dad hasn't attended regularly since the 70's although he took me to the odd game at the Goldstone when I was a kid. He is very much looking forward to attending regular matches at Falmer.

I would say we need to embrace these new fans and hold them to our collective bosom... who knows, if enough fans come our of the woodwork we might even need to apply to expand the stadium. :ohmy:

:falmer:

This is the thing, the vast majority of new fans won't be new as such. More returning lapsed fans. I have several friends who go to away games but do not go to Withdean, they support the Albion as much as STH, they just can't justify the expense for the terrible Withdean experience.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
If the uber fans decide to slag me off when I take my seat at Falmer I shall have no complaint.........................after the years of hurt and waiting I will be much too happy to give them a thought

:falmer:

Dandyman

In London village.
As others have said we need the new and lapsed fans for Falmer to be a success. However, I don't see any reason why there could not be a first season "loyalty discount" for those that have been STH at the Theatre of Trees. One for the Insider ?

Dandyman

In London village.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
As others have said we need the new and lapsed fans for Falmer to be a success. However, I don't see any reason why there could not be a first season "loyalty discount" for those that have been STH at the Theatre of Trees. One for the Insider ?

That's a nice idea in principle - bit it does open a few cans of worms. What if you just bought a STH for next season to get some Falmer benefit - would that mean you qualified ahead of someone who bought 11 STHs from 1999/2000 to 2009-10, but couldn't next season because they were redundant or something? Or would it be for anyone who had EVER had a season ticket at Withdean (in which case that would include me, but I don't expect that for two seasons about 10 years ago). Maybe best left alone.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I cant believe Im reading this?

Why are people complaining? The club are giving season tickets holders first dibs which is the right thing to do, if you want a ticket at Falmer get a season ticket.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I'm an uberfan. But i can count the number of withdean games i've been to on my fingers. Does it matter? I used to live by hove park, went to every game. Then the club moved, then i moved.

Even more pertinently, my dad was a spurs fan who took me to see the albion when we were in the top flight, Then i made him take me when we were awful under mullery and lloyd. We need these prem fans to come and bring their kids. My dad was never converted, but i sure was

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
It is impossible to determine who is,or is not,a Withdeaner.

It simply isn't the same 5 - 6 thousand who turn up week in,week out.I go to as many games as my pocket ( and sadly these days,my health) allows.Sometimes I'm part of the "Withdeaners",sometimes part of the 4 - 9 hundred awayers (and once this season one of the 6,000 glory fans at Villa Park.)

There are thousands like me who will have been to Withdean as often as possible who will also want to go to Falookaville in the same way.Hopefully many more will come more often.If I lived nearer I would be a sth and risk the days during the season when I just cannot attend.

After the first flush of Falmer I suspect crowds will settle around the 9 - 10,000 mark,but will of course surge when we once again challenge for Division Two.And let's all hope that our core support grows again to a level not seen for decades.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
What do you want? A medal?
You pay your money and takes your choice. Why do you go to Withdean? Presumably you go because you enjoy it and get something out of it and consider the experience to be worth the 25 quid despite the rain, wind and crap facilities. Better facilities will hopefully make it an attractive proposition to many more people.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I was out with a lapsed QPR fan who lives in Hastings.
He told me that he drives past Falmer and thinks it looks brilliant and is seriously considering buying a ST when it opens because its so easy to get to from Hastings!

Welcome one, welcome all I say.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
Think it's nothing more than an honest human emotion to perhaps feel that way. But as with many things, the pride you can feel in your own heart on the day Falmer opens after all those years of fighting for the club's future will more than compensate. It's the dawn of a new era, the one we all wanted. Can't wait!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ive no problem with it being filled with plastics and corporates, what the club needs to do though is introduce a loyalty scheme ASAP so that those who make the additional effort of attending cup games and away games get noticed, since it's also going to be tied into the current system I assume, it would be good to back date it so that people who have had a season ticket recently will be recognised above the corporates at the start. Simply having a
Platinum >> Gold >> Blue >> White & YS will not work when the corporates are 5000 strong and we have 6000 tickets.

I agree but this isn't going to happen. Platinum seat holders will have priority, forever.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
I dont care where I watch the Albion - Withdean, Falmer, Worthing.... who cares? Its still the Albion and thats all that matters in my opinion.

Seagulls!

I'm not an uber fan by any stretch of the imagination but I have probably averaged 15-20 games a season at Withdean, suffering the cold, wind and rain along with the other 5K of hardcore fans.

Now I'm as enthusiastic as the next bloke about Falmer but I do find myself feeling a bit resentful towards all the 'fans' that are crawling out of the woodwork now the new stadium is only a year or so away. I realise that for Falmer and the club to be a success we need to be attracting gates of 15K+ along with all the corporate hospitality stuff. However at work yesterday the MD of one of the companies we supply was waxing lyrical about his purchase of two platinum tickets which he will have for life, and that he will be able to access exclusive bars and restaurants. When I asked him about this he told me that he has always been an Albion fan but had never attended a game a Withdean. I had to bite my tongue because it looks as though I'm not even guaranteed a ticket for the first match unless I buy a season ticket.

I hope we get big crowds, I hope all the corporate stuff helps to fund a decent team but I also hope the club doesn't forget all those that turned out week in week out at Withdean.

oh FFS - what do you want A feckin medal.

I don't care who comes AS LONG AS THEY COME!:falmer:

that is A SHIT idea.

I am already a gold member, STH for 15 years, and I don't want any discounts - I just want a NEW stadium that isn't in Kent or at Withdean............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here