Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remove VAT from bicycles

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Goodfella said:
I have just bought a mountain bike (Yes, including helmet)

I have signed.
Nice one. Cycle helmet's are essential whether in traffic, or playing off road. Below is a picture of my flatmates cycle helmet after coming off on a descent at about 30mph in the middle of nowhere.

webcyclehelmet-3.jpg

The doctors said that wearing the helmet stopped him being a vegetable, or worse. A cycle helmet will be the best £50+ purchase you will ever make, should you fall off (or be knocked off by one of the previous posters).

Sorry to hear of your loss EastLondonSeagull. If cyclists have to take a cycling profiency then pedestrians should be forced to take some sort of test to make them aware of their actions as well (IMO).

Redhead

Jul 21, 2005
The Mighty 'ford
Woodchip said:
Following on from ELS's friend that was tragically killed by a pedestrian stepping out in front of him.

I know exactly where your coming from but its not wholey practical to try and educate every pedestrian in the UK to watch out for cyclist who may or may not be in a cycle lane/road/path.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Redhead said:
I know exactly where your coming from but its not wholey practical to try and educate every pedestrian in the UK to watch out for cyclist who may or may not be in a cycle lane/road/path.
True, but I've had many pedestrians (especially down Broad Street) just walk out without looking. Oh, and the beach isn't safe for cyclists either, even with the cycle path over the bonningstedt prom people just stand around in it!! :angry: :censored:

Jul 20, 2003
signed

good idea, never gonna happen, but signed

yours a considerate cyclist pissed off with people knicking my bikes in Hove - 3 in the last 4 years including a late 70s Peugot PX10 - very scruffy but a SUPERB bit of kit

there should be another petition for bike theft to be punishable by death

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Signed, ban pedestrians and car drivers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Signed.

It's a great idea.

Now, we just need to find a way to keep pedestrians off cycle paths.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Woodchip said:
Oooh. I think this is my first thread to have had over 50 posts (okay so about 15 of those are from me, but nevermind I feel really popular now :) )

Congratulations

:bowdown: :bowdown:

;)

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Curious Orange said:
As for wearing a helmet, make it a legal requirement and I will. In the meantime I'm quite happy to take my chances and have a warm head in winter.

I have read this a few times and still don't understand it. Surely your head would be warmer IF you wore a helmet in winter, just like the old bobble hats my Mum used to make me wear when I first started going to the Goldstone (which disappeared into my pocket as soon as I got round the corner).

And as for cyclists jumping red lights, how many car owners on here can honestly say they've never jumped or driven through as the lights are changing?

No, my main objections to cyclists are

(1) the kit, especially those shorts the men wear. Why not wear a posing pouch and have done with it? I suspect they are all closet lycra fetishists.

(2) The rubbing your nose in it type of "I am considerably more green than yow"posing when they eventually get in to the office with faces the colour of beetroot; followed by ostentatiously taking ten minutes to shower and change into respectable clothing whilst the rest of us are bloody working!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Screaming J said:

And as for cyclists jumping red lights, how many car owners on here can honestly say they've never jumped or driven through as the lights are changing?

No, my main objections to cyclists are

(1) the kit, especially those shorts the men wear. Why not wear a posing pouch and have done with it? I suspect they are all closet lycra fetishists.

(2) The rubbing your nose in it type of "I am considerably more green than yow"posing when they eventually get in to the office with faces the colour of beetroot; followed by ostentatiously taking ten minutes to shower and change into respectable clothing whilst the rest of us are bloody working!

I would say that I see just as many motorists as cyclists jumping red lights: particularly on the lights at Coombe Road, where the red is treated as an invitation to stop rather than an instruction.

I'm with you about cyclists though: I've never worn any of the lycra gear as it does make you look like a tosser. And I get in the office well before anyone else so I can be changed before the rest of the crowd show up.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I have worn lycra (calm down ladies) as during the winter it is a lot warmer than wearing regular shorts.

I don't cycle to work, as the 17+ miles would be a little tiring. I leave my cycling for recreational purposes.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Woodchip said:
I have worn lycra (calm down ladies) as during the winter it is a lot warmer than wearing regular shorts.

I don't cycle to work, as the 17+ miles would be a little tiring. I leave my cycling for recreational purposes.

Wimp. I once had a job that was 26 miles away and I cycled there and back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here