Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remove VAT from bicycles

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
At the bottom of my road I witnessed a cyclist stop at the red lights.. then a police car pulled up alongside... then the cyclist just moved off with the lights still showing red.

Needless to say the police flashed their lights, sounded the siren and pulled the guy over. I couldn't help but have a chuckle at the cyclists stupidity.

:lolol:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
eastlondonseagull said:
I'm always shouting at cyclists I see who aren't wearing helmets these days.

You could cause an accident doing that!

And as for wearing a helmet, make it a legal requirement and I will. In the meantime I'm quite happy to take my chances and have a warm head in winter.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think removing VAT from bikes is a great idea - providing in return they are made to pay an annual road tax.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Curious Orange said:
You could cause an accident doing that!

And as for wearing a helmet, make it a legal requirement and I will. In the meantime I'm quite happy to take my chances and have a warm head in winter.

Exactly. Only going to kill/maim/injure me, not anyone else.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
In defence of young cyclists, it's important to remember that hardly any schools (and I think none in W.Sussex) offer the cycling proficiency test any longer.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Good driving

Mr Burns said:
f*** that. I would license every bike that wants to go on the road. It's wouldn't cost them much like it would a car, just make it easier to fine the c*nts that jump red lights.

Message to anyone who jumps the red lights at the bottom of Coombe Road......... the next cu*t who jumps the lights at the bottom of Coombe Road opposite the retail park, either going along, or turning into Lewes Road, I will not stop for you. In fact if I have to swerve just a little to clip you, without making it to obvious I will.

Im all for bikes on the road, but FFS the way motorists are fined, it's about time they started coming down heavy on cyclists who break the law.

I cycle the Lewes road most days, wear a helmet, have lights and stop at all the red lights.

Recomend all good cyclists here show support for the following, http://www.stopatred.org/

I am constantly harrased by a variety of motorist keen to overtake too close, cut me up, speaking on their phones, driving too fast. In fact only last week a van tried to clip me off in the fashion you have described. I pay my road tax and would happily pay a bike tax if it went to improving better bike lanes.

Its great to know that my life is dependent on you and others having a bad bike day on Lewes Road.

Motorists should take pleasure in the fact that I am on two wheels and not blocking up the road in my car sticking to the speed limit.

Can not wait to be cycling to Falmer, was very impressed by how many hundreds of people cycled to Saint Marys, look forward to the bike sheds on match day.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
What really pisses me off about bikes is, the goverment have spent millions on creating cycle lanes, and the twats still ride on the road along side it !!!:angry: whats that all about :angry:

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Curious Orange said:

Don't think you'd say that when your friend is killed precisely because he's not worn a helmet. My mate didn't legislate for a stupid pedestrian and it's cost him his life, and deprived his 11-year-old daughter of a dad :nono:

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm possible the most polite cyclist ever.
But I've still been verbally abused (only once) because the car driver just didn't like me on the road.

Cyclists who jump reds deserve all they get, but please don't tar everybody with the same brush.

For the record, I wear a helmet, esp as my record speed on my road bike, is 41.6mph, & am well chuffed with that.

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
wehatepalace said:
What really pisses me off about bikes is, the goverment have spent millions on creating cycle lanes, and the twats still ride on the road along side it !!!:angry: whats that all about :angry:

That's because the flipping pedestrians are on the cycle path :angry:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
ginadim said:

Cyclists cannot complain about pedestrians on cycle paths-they weave all over the f***ing shop, pavements,roads etc-f***'em-steer.

wehatepalace

Limbs
NSC Patron
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
ginadim said:

Not always true, take today for instance i 'm driving my truck down a fairly main road, with a split path/cycle track alongside it, with not a single pedestrian in sight but still some lycra clad idiot has to ride his bike in the road causing a lengthy tail back as I could not safely pass him ! :angry:

This is all to common these days and pisses me off royally, because if the bloody cyclists didn't want the them we could have widend the roads !

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I hate cyclists and I hate their "look at me" eco-snobbery. The vast majority go through red lights and up on pavements. They terrorise pedestrians, particlularly old people and small children. Just today I passed one causing chaos on Handcross Hill. How f***ing stupid is it to cycle there. I live in the countryside and they always block our lane and seem to think they own the bloody place. Their evil little beady eyes scream out from their tight pasty faces whenever I dare to drive down the road I bloody live in. The ones that dress up like Tour de France gaylords deserve a proper mashing from a good old 4x4. And mountain bikers f*** up hill paths and the countryside. At my previous work we had a dull and cretinous eco warrior who was trying to get people to cycle in to work. Our office was in Gatwick. Funnily enough not many people fancied cycling to that sh*thole from Brighton.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Il Duce said:
I hate cyclists and I hate their "look at me" eco-snobbery. The vast majority go through red lights and up on pavements. They terrorise pedestrians, particlularly old people and small children. Just today I passed one causing chaos on Handcross Hill. How f***ing stupid is it to cycle there. I live in the countryside and they always block our lane and seem to think they own the bloody place. Their evil little beady eyes scream out from their tight pasty faces whenever I dare to drive down the road I bloody live in. The ones that dress up like Tour de France gaylords deserve a proper mashing from a good old 4x4. And mountain bikers f*** up hill paths and the countryside. At my previous work we had a dull and cretinous eco warrior who was trying to get people to cycle in to work. Our office was in Gatwick. Funnily enough not many people fancied cycling to that sh*thole from Brighton.
Possibly if you got out in the conutryisde a bit more and breathed the fresh air it may relieve some of your anger.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
I think given the reality of fitness, terrain, etc. it would make more sense, environmentally, to reduce the cost-of-ownership of small (< 150 cc) motorcycles, scooters, etc. Three of them together don't produce as much CO2 as a car, and they don't require any more roadways paved, parking spaces created, dedicated lanes, etc. etc. than what already exists.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here