Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remove VAT from bicycles

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
In 2004 670 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles.

In the same year, one pedestrian was killed in a collision with a bicycle, and two cyclists died in similar collisions. Of these three accidents, all occurred on the road, not the pavement.

I think it's pretty obvious in whose hands the safety of cyclists and pedestrians lies.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
black & white seagull said:
In 2004 670 pedestrians were killed by motor vehicles.

In the same year, one pedestrian was killed in a collision with a bicycle, and two cyclists died in similar collisions. Of these three accidents, all occurred on the road, not the pavement.

I think it's pretty obvious in whose hands the safety of cyclists and pedestrians lies.
Hurrah!! As Shakira said, The Stats Don't Lie.

All car driver's are wankers (unless they happen to ride a bike as well in which case they are probably slightly more bike aware).

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Well derrrrr - spindly thing with two elastic bands vs 1 ton of metal with poky outy hurty bits!! :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Woodchip said:
Hurrah!! As Shakira said, The Stats Don't Lie.

All car driver's are wankers (unless they happen to ride a bike as well in which case they are probably slightly more bike aware).

I've long thought that all drivers should be made to take a cycle test too - just to give them some awareness of cycles. If I became president of the UK, it would be one of my first acts.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Gwylan said:
I've long thought that all drivers should be made to take a cycle test too - just to give them some awareness of cycles. If I became president of the UK, it would be one of my first acts.

Absolutely NOT! I have had one fairly large accident on a pushbike and wish never to partake in cycling ever again.... :angry: :lol:

Clothes Peg

Mar 3, 2007
tedebear said:
Absolutely NOT! I have had one fairly large accident on a pushbike and wish never to partake in cycling ever again.... :angry: :lol:

I was the opposite. I had an accident that wrecked my face, and I actually cycled home. I got an electric bike when I was 14, that was cool to the extreme.

black & white seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Brighton
tedebear said:
Well derrrrr - spindly thing with two elastic bands vs 1 ton of metal with poky outy hurty bits!! :)

Sometimes I can't help but fulfil an innate desire to state the bleedin' obvious! :blush:

And bicycles have metal poky outy hurty bits, too – as the delicate purple/green hue of my shins would be only too happy to testify... :down:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Sometimes I can't help but fulfil an innate desire to state the bleedin' obvious! :blush:

And bicycles have metal poky outy hurty bits, too – as the delicate purple/green hue of my shins would be only too happy to testify... :down:
And the scar in my calf from my metal sticky-outy bits. (Not even sure how I done it either)

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer

Brilliant! :lol:

Bikes do have poky bits and bitey bits (like the friggin chain)...but they still don't pass muster against the all powerful car, especially in the wrong hands!! :down:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I seem to buck the trend here. As I'm a lycra boy, I'm a road rider and always cycle looking like Dafid (sp).
Although the www.foska.com top does take the edge off, cos it's a cool piece of kit, esp my Marmite one.

Sorry woodchip, I started Dessiegate, so you have a long way to go.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
VAT on bikes, lets get it taken off, how many people signed Woodchips petition then. Bike riders and cars drivers both signing and living in perfect harmony.

I have signed and I have a car and bike but today I am only cycling to and from the cricket.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Stat Brother said:
I seem to buck the trend here. As I'm a lycra boy, I'm a road rider and always cycle looking like Dafid (sp).
Although the www.foska.com top does take the edge off, cos it's a cool piece of kit, esp my Marmite one.

Sorry woodchip, I started Dessiegate, so you have a long way to go.

Do you reckon they would do Harveys ones...

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Horton's halftime iceberg said:
VAT on bikes, lets get it taken off, how many people signed Woodchips petition then. Bike riders and cars drivers both signing and living in perfect harmony.

I have signed and I have a car and bike but today I am only cycling to and from the cricket.
It's not my petition. I found it on the MBUK.co.uk forums. Thought I'd bring it to the attention of the best forum I could think of. ;)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Horton's halftime iceberg said:
Do you reckon they would do Harveys ones...

Can't hurt to ask, imagine how many they'd sell on the London to Brighton.

adrian29uk

Sep 10, 2003
its_neil said:
He can remove VAT off bicycles as soon as cyclists actually abide by the highway code.

Im a cyclist and your 100% correct. I abide by the highway code at all times. Cyclists who don't abide by this are giving good cyclists like myself a bad name. It pisses me off.

Lets flip the coin and talk about motorists.

The amount of people I see stuck out in the middle of the road with a mobile phone stuck to their ear is joke.

Secondly I see lots of motorists also crossing red lights and not observing cyclists and pullling out in front of me at junctions.

Stopping VAT on bikes is a brilliant idea. But I cant see it happening soon, because more and more people are taking to pedal power everyday, so the goverment makes more money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here