Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Remove Leon Knight from the "Legends' Wall"?

Get rid of Leon Knight from outside the West Stand?

• Yes - get rid

Votes: 502 86.9%
  • No - leave him there

Votes: 76 13.1%

• Total voters

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I always do. But really, I don't like the guy or approve of what he did the other day on Twitter, but I don't see why that should detract from his 27 goal season 8 years ago.

If we're going to be consistent, if Dean Hammond can be forgiven for what he did three years ago, then the Leon Knight of 2004 can be forgiven for what he did eight years in the future.

Comparing Dean Hammond's behaviour and Leon Knight's behaviour is, of course, ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is detracting from LK's achievement and effort of eight years ago. But that's not what up for debate here, though I don't think some people have cottoned on to that yet.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Comparing Dean Hammond's behaviour and Leon Knight's behaviour is, of course, ridiculous.

I don't think anyone is detracting from LK's achievement and effort of eight years ago. But that's not what up for debate here, though I don't think some people have cottoned on to that yet.

Dean Hammond swears and 'abuses' people at a Brighton game, Leon JKnight swears at and 'abuses' people on Twitter. Is it so far apart?

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
I always do. But really, I don't like the guy or approve of what he did the other day on Twitter, but I don't see why that should detract from his 27 goal season 8 years ago.

If we're going to be consistent, if Dean Hammond can be forgiven for what he did three years ago, then the Leon Knight of 2004 can be forgiven for what he did eight years in the future.
I have to applaud the insanity of your argument. We can forgive someone for something, so we should forgive everyone for everything and outside of time so we can forgive past versions of people for things they have yet to do, and that's why we should have a Leon Knight banner. :lolol:

I am in it as much as anyone else and I'm glad he apologised for it but still Dean Hammond was just a silly football fan thing really wasn't it? Leon Knight slagged off the club as well as players like Oatway and Carpenter personally who did a lot for the club and was 'forgiven' in the form of having the banner in the first place.

This is really a whole different thing. It just comes down to whether you have a problem with such a repugnant man being celebrated with a giant banner as a club legend. The fact that he is such a grotty little wanker doesn't diminish my good memories of watching him play, but it just seems wrong to continue to honour him in this way.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
Internet-Warrior-500x400.jpg

not being one to pick or anything, but powerlifting is not an Olympic sport.

Olympic lifting is the Clean and Jerk / Snatch, whereas Powerlifting is the Squat / Benchpress and Deadlift..

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have to applaud the insanity of your argument. We can forgive someone for something, so we should forgive everyone for everything and outside of time so we can forgive past versions of people for things they have yet to do, and that's why we should have a Leon Knight banner. :lolol:

I am in it as much as anyone else and I'm glad he apologised for it but still Dean Hammond was just a silly football fan thing really wasn't it? Leon Knight slagged off the club as well as players like Oatway and Carpenter personally who did a lot for the club and was 'forgiven' in the form of having the banner in the first place.

This is really a whole different thing. It just comes down to whether you have a problem with such a repugnant man being celebrated with a giant banner as a club legend. The fact that he is such a grotty little wanker doesn't diminish my good memories of watching him play, but it just seems wrong to continue to honour him in this way.

Hey, life's too short to waste time arguing with like-minded people about idiots like Knight. Get rid of his banner, fine, seems a bit petty based on a stupid bunch of tweets, but I won't lose sleep over him. I am of the belief that Brighton history is preserved in time, that what someone does after his football career is over doesn't really matter, those moments were still good times, those goals celebrated raucously, and the banner celebrates that, not the man himself and his later actions.

But then I try never to get too close to any of the players, to hero-worship or vilify them, they're only ever temporary participants in our great club (with a few dear exceptions)

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
All league and cup matches.

1. 36 - Peter Ward - 1976-77
2. 35 - Arthur Attwood - 1932-33
3. 32 - Hugh Vallance - 1929-30
3. 32 - Garry Nelson - 1987-88
5. 31 - Bobby Zamora - 2000-01
5. 31 - Bobby Zamora - 2001-02
7. 29 - Arthur Attwood - 1931-32
8. 28 - Tommy Cook - 1923-24
8. 28 - Bernard Moore - 1945-46
8. 28 - Albert Mundy - 1955-56
8. 28 - Kit Napier - 1967-68
12. 27 - Sam Jennings - 1926-27
12. 27 - Alec Law - 1935-36
12. 27 - Peter Harburn - 1955-56
12. 27 - Fred Binney - 1975-76
12. 27 - Leon Knight - 2003-4

All of these, with the exception of Bobby Zamora in 2000-01, were in Division 3.

Our highest ever goalscorer for one season in the top two divisions was Bill Curry with 26 (23+3) in 1959-60. :)

Cheers I was being a Lazy git. Can't believe I forgot Nelson scored more (overseas at the time) and of course Booby both post Wardy.

Wardy record amazing. Would be interesting to know who scored more in individual games v hatricks as well. Even though Leon is a prat still thought he had some scoring talent.

If he is as ill as people are making out hope he gets the assistance he needs.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Ok, I've must have missed a point somewhere. Not sure any need to get personal in this discussion, but I guess its late. TTFN

Yeah, sorry.

But the kind of abuse you're talking about from Hammond (instant, heat of the moment, local, silly) and Knight's (mysogynystic, planned, worldwide, threatening) are quite different and shouldn't really be compared in the same breath.

Lush

Mods' Pet
I still stand by my view that the players on the legends wall are judged by their performance on the pitch while playing for us, not what goes on off the pitch. How do you know what goes in in the private lives of any of the players up there? Others could also be horrible people.

HOWEVER Leon has acted like a tit in the public domain, and if the club decide that it's damaging to their reputation to have him up there then they should take him down. I would imagine that they'll have to wait until he's been PROVED to be guilty of something in case they get sued for defamation of character or summat by taking him down.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
i still stand by my view that the players on the legends wall are judged by their performance on the pitch while playing for us, not what goes on off the pitch.

it's not a chuffing legends' wall.

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
it's not a chuffing legends' wall.

Its been interpreted as a legends wall by many since it went up, so any original intent otherwise has kind of been lost. It would be unusual at a stadium to have anyone other than legends celebrated in this way as the context of the moment is not clear in the imagery if its about that. For example, I think it simply says Leon Knight rather than Playoff Final 2004.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Its been interpreted as a legends wall by many since it went up, so any original intent otherwise has kind of been lost. It would be unusual at a stadium to have anyone other than legends celebrated in this way as the context of the moment is not clear in the imagery if its about that. For example, I think it simply says Leon Knight rather than Playoff Final 2004.

It could be replaced by the team holding the bent cup if it's meant to depic that moment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here