Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

REMF binfest 2011 - The Idiots Strike Back

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Can I just say that this strikes me as somewhat of a strange approach, for the following scenarios...

1. Person A bids £1000 that he believes he can raise through sponsorship. He actually manages to raise £3.34.

2. Person B either doesn't bid at all, or bids low. He thinks he could raise £200-£300 through sponsorship, but isn't sure so only bids £100 as he would not be able to fund the extra £100 himself. As a result he doesn't get a place and loses out to someone who, in the end, raises less than he would.

Is there a breakdown of how last year's fantastic total was achieved...

- Gate receipts
- Other matchday revenue (raffles etc)
- Brett's madcap raffles and stuff (i.e. not directly related to the match itself)
- Direct player sponsorship
- Any other category(ies) I've missed out

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Sorry but I don't think this is the right way to get into the team, I think last year was a good idea when the highest sponsored played got to be captain but being the richest NSCer or having the richest friends shouldn't be the way to buy yourself into the team.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
last year wasnt the right way to do it and auctioning off the places was a better way, and surprise surprise, auctioning off the places this year isnt the right way to do it either!

seems a case of damned if you do and damed if you dont

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sorry but I don't think this is the right way to get into the team, I think last year was a good idea when the highest sponsored played got to be captain but being the richest NSCer or having the richest friends shouldn't be the way to buy yourself into the team.

But surely the ultimate aim of the whole thing is to raise as MUCH cash as possible for the cause.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
We seem to have a binfest nearly every year about this, and it does put people off, which is a tragedy, so I'm just going to clarify the position.

The squad policy has, over the past few years, suffered from accusations of being a bit of a closed shop.

Mindful of this, and this year's match being the tenth, it was decided to open the squad up to whoever wanted to play. This of course would then leave the situation open to too many people wanting to play.

So, bearing in mind the central idea of the REMF matches is to raise money, and feeling that playing for REMF is a privilege, not a right, we felt that anyone who wishes to play should financially contribute for that privilege, by whatever means.

We've no idea how much people will bid. It could be that £5.00 will get you in, it could take £50.00. We've no idea. But it will raise funds. We'll even keep you posted at various points on what the 14th highest bid is.

After that, players will then be strongly encouraged to obtain sponsorship. One player found to his credit that the hard work he put in meant he could proudly lift the trophy on behalf of his team (having belted in the winning penalty).

Who knows, it could be your turn next...

Is this the fairest approach? You can have your opinions, but we feel no embarrassment about trying to raise as much money as possible by whatever (legitimate) means as possible.

Is this the right approach? We think so.

We hope you'll support us in this.

Cheers.

And that should be the end of it. Let's get all get fully behind it this year without the binfests.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
last year wasnt the right way to do it and auctioning off the places was a better way, and surprise surprise, auctioning off the places this year isnt the right way to do it either!

seems a case of damned if you do and damed if you dont

I'm not sure anyway said "auction off places would be the best way of doing this" - I know I certainly didn't. My thrust last year was "What is the criteria for inclusion in the team?" and "Is the current criteria the one that will deliver maximum value to the charity?"

Anyway, DKM and TLO are right and as ever, I (on behalf of NSC) will be fully supportive. Look forward to "wanna be an NSC mod" auctions and the like in due course.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
This is going to happen this year is it? Or is it going to be suddenly postponed like the REMF marathon team?

All sounds a little over complicated.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Fair enough, as that's what has been agreed, priviledge is the right word then, I assume there will be rules in place to avoid a bunch of palace supporters being the higest bidders otherwise it could turn out like pakistan cricket

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Al - presumably this ethos will follow through to some other aspects of the night? The 'thing' I'm thinking of is match sponsorship which I think Phil picked up last year. Is there scope to get a bigger name involved, possibly a City outfit, even Robert's employer (was it one of the Cantor firms?), who will have deeper pockets?

Failing that, how much was match sponsorship last year, and how much would I/NSC have to bid to beat anything already tabled?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Question (in NO way trying to start a binfest);

The idea of people submitting their bids by 11pm 21/03/2011 is fine. But lets say, to make it easy, you have a squad of 18, all 18 say they'll raise £500, you then have X amount of people that submitted a bid of £450. What happens if despite trying their hardest, one (or a few) of the 18 don't end up raising £500 and instead only raise £200. I don't expect for one minute them to be kicked out of the team, and on the other hand, you obviously put a lot of trust in the people saying they'll raise £X to be in the team, but there isn't really anything stopping someone from bidding £2,000, and then actually raising a few hundred.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Al - presumably this ethos will follow through to some other aspects of the night? The 'thing' I'm thinking of is match sponsorship which I think Phil picked up last year. Is there scope to get a bigger name involved, possibly a City outfit, even Robert's employer (was it one of the Cantor firms?), who will have deeper pockets?

Failing that, how much was match sponsorship last year, and how much would I/NSC have to bid to beat anything already tabled?

PM me your mobile phone number, and I'll call you tonight about further sponsorship. :thumbsup:

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

The idea of people submitting their bids by 11pm 21/03/2011 is fine. But lets say, to make it easy, you have a squad of 18, all 18 say they'll raise £500, you then have X amount of people that submitted a bid of £450. What happens if despite trying their hardest, one (or a few) of the 18 don't end up raising £500 and instead only raise £200. I don't expect for one minute them to be kicked out of the team, and on the other hand, you obviously put a lot of trust in the people saying they'll raise £X to be in the team, but there isn't really anything stopping someone from bidding £2,000, and then actually raising a few hundred.

You bid from your pocket not from predicted sponsorship - that will be the aim once you have guaranteed your place - at least thats the way I read it

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

I fear you're mixing up 'bid' and 'sponsorship'.

The bid is to actually make the squad, and whatever that bid is, we expect that person to honour the (successful) bid and pay it. Of course, they don't have to pay it until they know their bid to get into the squad is successful.

After that, once they're in the squad, we're going to encourage them to go hell for leather getting sponsorship.

I think that's what you're asking.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
The problem i see coming from this is that people who come to watch the game may be extremely disappointed if the level of football is really crap, which a it looks like money talks, could well happen.

I am not saying that i have a better solution but why not have a trial where as may people turn up who would like to play in the match and then pick the best 14 (or however many players you need) but maybe charge everyone who turns up a fee. Then of the players selected they then have a target set for how much to raise. This might not raise as much in terms of player sponsorship but surely more people would turn up and give their money on the night, and future matches, if the standard was better. Or do people just turn up regardless of what is on offer?

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Yes, Bozza, that is what got me.

Cheers for the clarification. Makes absolute sense now.

logan89

Jan 4, 2007
Brington
I imagine it's this line in the opening post that is causing confusion...

...shall I edit it?

Maybe add the date of the match aswell!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But surely the ultimate aim of the whole thing is to raise as MUCH cash as possible for the cause.

While making sure it's a COMPETITIVE game of football, if one team got thrashed by the other 10-0 every year the whole thing would fold.

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
You bid from your pocket not from predicted sponsorship - that will be the aim once you have guaranteed your place - at least thats the way I read it

That is correct.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here