Vinyl Richie

Jul 30, 2003
Polling North Standers
On the Left Wing said:

You can't smell electricity
You can't see electricity
You can't hear electricity
But if you put your fingers into an electrical socket .... you can feel it

I don't mean to nit pick but have you ever seen a lightening bolt?

you can hear what it does to the sky. If your not convinced put a CD in a microwave. You'll get the visuals and the "fizzles".

And yes if you put your fingers into an electrical socket you can feel it. BUT just because you've had a near death experience that you couldn't explain, doesn't mean that it must have been god.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
On the Left Wing said:
Okay guys you can pot away .... I'll post my experience on here a wee bit later as I have it saved on my home hard drive ... I wrote it for publication about three years ago ....
I think any sprititual experience is personal ....
I'll leave you with one thought ....
You can't smell electricity
You can't see electricity
You can't hear electricity
But if you put your fingers into an electrical socket .... you can feel it

I'll post later when I get home ...

Which is more than you can say for your mythical God.

WE REST OUR CASE !

Jul 12, 2003
Oxfordshire
Titanic said:
What man has chosen to do in the name of religion in the past is nothing to do with the value or importance of our own relationship with God.

Exactly -

religion is greater than the things done in the NAME of religion...

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Raphael Meade said:
i have read the bible, my brother is a priest.

i have had no gift.

Have you ever asked God to help you? Have you ever needed to?

Bhaexpress. I had tried to give up smoking several times in 26 years and failed miserably. I was right in the middle of a nasty divorce and the desire for tobacco was removed.
I can only tell you what has happened to me.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Yorkie said:

no i haven't. i can cope with things perfectly well as i am (no dig at the religious)

but this is what i mean about the arrogance/patronising bit.

how does one 'ask' god to help them? does he have an address??

[this isnt meant to sound sarky if it does!]

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
How do you know when you need to? If I was in an exam and I needed the answers coz i didn't work would God tell me or would that be cheating on his part? Like if it was to get me into Nursing school to help others. Who would make the decision? Him or one of his 'mechanics' at the 'garage' (I still don't really get what you were talking about there).

I'm gonna go home and think about this.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Yorkie said:

Bhaexpress. I had tried to give up smoking several times in 26 years and failed miserably. I was right in the middle of a nasty divorce and the desire for tobacco was removed.

So you immediately attribute that to god??? Can't you see how exceedly arrogant not to mention intellectually lazy that is? You have such exteme hubris that you believe the divine hand of god took time off of his busy smiting schedule to personally attend to you bad habits? I'm really happy that you've given up smoking (nasty habit), but attributing it to the work of god is pushing it a bit don't you think? I hope that's not the best miracle you've got.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
Ive read the bible, went to a catholic school, went to church for years and my family is very catholic and has been for generations.

I cant stand religion, and disagree with all its incarnations. Although, if anyone else wants to spend time on them, thats fine and dandy with me.

The way i see it, there may well be a god and some kind of afterlife, but i'm enjoying myself right now, and would like to wait as long as possible before i find out!!

My philosophy - enjoy yourself. Treat others how you'd like to be treated. Generally be an all round model human. If some jumped up deity tells me that I cant enjoy the afterlife coz I argued with a nun when I was 7, then I intend to have a sterling good argument with them!

PS - Catch 22 is pretty much spot on to my mind!

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
You simply say it out loud. He can hear you.

(yes, I am aware that I sound crazy but I know what I believe and I am prepared to be ridiculed for it because I believe it so much)

Why is arrogant or patronishing? Please tell me?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Yorkie said:
As I said before I have had things happen in my life that I know were from God.

Out of interest how many people here have actually read the Bible?

Buy one £4.99 from WH Smith and read it. Then you can make an informed decision.

Start with Revelation.

;)

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Faldo said:
My philosophy - enjoy yourself. Treat others how you'd like to be treated. Generally be an all round model human. If some jumped up deity tells me that I cant enjoy the afterlife coz I argued with a nun when I was 7, then I intend to have a sterling good argument with them!

:clap: :clap:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Yorkie said:

Do you think that could be a psychological/physiological thing? When I last went through a rough patch I ate less, and lost a lot of weight, the desire to eat wasn't there.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Yorkie said:

(yes, I am aware that I sound crazy but I know what I believe and I am prepared to be ridiculed for it because I believe it so much)

It's not.

So we have to say it loud hten? Is god hard of hearing, I'd have thought he would have raelly good hearing coz he created sound and all.

*takes jesters hat off*

Bye bye

:wave:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Barnet Seagull said:
Do you think that could be a psychological/physiological thing? When I last went through a rough patch I ate less, and lost a lot of weight, the desire to eat wasn't there.

Not at all. Previously when I had been through a rough patch I would smoke twice as much. The first thing I would do is reach for a fag.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Yorkie said:

Yorkie, Im not looking to start an arguement here, I am honestly interested by your thinking.

Why are you so convinced that God helped you through these life incidents. What about the people who give up smoking everyday, escape near accidents and survive illness who have no interest in God, religion or faith ?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Yorkie said:

maybe those words are a bit strong, i just meant assuming that this view is right and others just can't or havent done it yet...

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
US Seagull said:

Ta very much!

Also backs my point up. There are so many passionate views out there that there will never be agreement. take that on a few stages and you get religious wars (although not many people talk about the reformation do they!).

My opinion is right. Yorkies opinion is right. There is no wrong answer! If you are happy in what you do or do not believe, then how can that be wrong.

Take care of yourselves - and each other.
Padre Faldo

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
It's not.

So we have to say it loud hten? Is god hard of hearing, I'd have thought he would have raelly good hearing coz he created sound and all.

By saying it out loud I mean talking. I talk to God exactly the same way as I would talk to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here