Votes: 36 39.1%
  • Abstaining - It's not for ME to say

Votes: 23 25.0%

• Total voters

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
There is school of thought that says that religion, and the promise of a wonderful 'afterlife' is used as a tool to get people to put up with their shitty lives in subjegation. This is a view I subscribe too, but I can because I am quite comfortable with my own odd sort of immortality. The transient nature of the Universe has chosen to throw together a few atoms created at the dawn of time into this form know as Andrew, just for a brief instant, only for them to be blown on again on the cosmic winds and into something new and wonderous - a star, a nebula, a frog, a blade of grass, another person, some dirt. That is a comforting thought for me, and encourages me to make the most of the time I have as me.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yorkie said:
Like any gift you have to accept it and use it.

Yorkie, you are using the same gobblegook that was drummed into me as a child. It's just another glib cliche that has no basis in fact or much in theory either.

Who says religion is a gift ? Why do so many bad things happen in the name of something that's supposed to be good ?

Is war and suppression a gift ? If so please return to sender.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Yorkie said:
Like Juan says, you have.

You have chosen not to use it. It's there if you want it.

i'm sorry yorkie but i find that view INCREDIBLY patronising.

i personally have not been offered anything, it is not my choice not to believe or 'worship' this god and so i have made no choice in the matter!

i am not a 'bad' person. i have done volunteer work, i give money to charity and i have very high morals.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Juan Albion said:
If faith was forced upon you, you would hardly have free will would you? The God I know is rather keen on free will.

Clearly he didn't attend the catholic schools I went to. They were bent on unswerving obedience based on the threat of the eternal fires of hell.

Nice bloke God, must have a lot of friends.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Raphael Meade said:
but the problem herein lies that some people don't know if there is a god, etc.. how can you learn to trust in one if he aint there!?

A little bit of looking, a little bit of personal reflection, a little bit of studying... I suspect it works differently for different people, and the end result can also reflect our different contexts (for example, I would probably be considered a liberal by some evangelicals). However, it usually involves an open mind and a willingness to see on the our part.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Titanic said:
What makes you so sure 'he aint there' ??

Well, he hides himself well. You can't see, smell, hear, touch or taste him. Kinda hard to believe inanything like that.

Unless you're delusional that is. After all, if I was to start saying I believed in little green men from Mars based on the fact that I had 'faith' in them then I'd be a candidate for a straight jacket wouldn't I ?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
bhaexpress said:
Yorkie, you are using the same gobblegook that was drummed into me as a child. It's just another glib cliche that has no basis in fact or much in theory either.

Who says religion is a gift ? Why do so many bad things happen in the name of something that's supposed to be good ?

Is war and suppression a gift ? If so please return to sender.

I didn't say religion is a gift. I said faith is a gift. Religion is man made.

Check my original post

I have lots of tesitmonies where God has personally intervened in my life when I have put my faith in him

I don't force my beliefs on anybody. Friends will tell you I never mention it unless someone asks me first.

Because bad people use religion or faith to do something bad doesn't make that thing bad. eg. sex is good but can be perverted to be bad

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The argument of faith as a gift is weird. How did you know you had been offered it. Accepting it sounds, to me, like opening the present under the crimbo tree with no name on it?

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
Juan Albion said:
A little bit of looking, a little bit of personal reflection, a little bit of studying... I suspect it works differently for different people, and the end result can also reflect our different contexts (for example, I would probably be considered a liberal by some evangelicals). However, it usually involves an open mind and a willingness to see on the our part.

see, thats what i'd say is a 'good' answer and doesnt imply that people that don't 'believe' are stupid or evil like a lot of religious bodies and people tend to do so nowadays.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yorkie said:

Check my original post

I have lots of tesitmonies where God has personally intervened in my life when I have put my faith in him

I don't force my beliefs on anybody. Friends will tell you I never mention it unless someone asks me first.

Because bad people use religion or faith to do something bad doesn't make that thing bad. eg. sex is good but can be perverted to be bad

No, sorry Yorkie, you just think that this image 'God' as you like to call him has helped you. There's no tangable proof of any enity be it 'God', 'Allah' or any other mythical diety. It just makes your life more convenient to have this fabled being.

The tragedy is that all the followers of of any religion have to wait until they die to find out that they're been duped.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Ex-Shoreham
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
The argument of faith as a gift is weird. How did you know you had been offered it. Accepting it sounds, to me, like opening the present under the crimbo tree with no name on it?

EXACTLY. the gift might be for me, but theiving little MAX will nick it all for his greedy little self. :lolol: :jester:

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Yorkie said:

Check my original post

I agree so much with that. Religion is another form of bondage man has invented to enslave fellow man. History pays testement to that and the world continues to use religion as a tool to enslave, murder and brutalise.

Satan's called the god of this world and if you look around you, you'll see that he really is god of this world. But for those of you who don't know - Satan himself was defeated on the cross where Jesus died.

I don't know what kind of God you believe in, if you believe at all, but I believe in the God that can raise the dead. So many people are conditioned to bad news they don't know good news when they see it.

Rant over!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Religious thinking is intrinsically arrogant because it is based on a "i know something you don't" mentality. A truth is hidden from me, according to 'believers' and all i need do is open my heart.

What i really need is some tangible help. Not some loose-worded vague sense of belonging in a hopeless world. The idea that other people have a hotline to THE ANSWER seems terribly arrogant.

It is possible that i envy those with the courage or stupidity to let themselves go enough, but it will take me this lifetime at least to examine my every ashen facet. I haven't the time or room for faith as i'm too busy struggling with what already i know.

I'm babbling. Maybe i'm speaking in tongues.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
ChapmansThe Saviour said:

For faith read trust. Putting your trust in God. Believing that he is what he says he is.

To find out who he is read the Bible. I am not saying go to church as going to church no more makes you a Christian than going to a garage makes you a car.

When you read the New Testament think it over and then if you believe it, find a local church to go to.

God has said 'If you seek me, you will find me.'

So it is up to you if you want to find him. If you don't well, fine. He won't force you.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I've always thought the Sikh religion to be the best.

What do YOU think is the best religion?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here