Votes: 11 8.5%
  • No way, we belong higher than League 2

Votes: 110 85.3%

• Total voters

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I dont think anyone realises truly just how easy it is to slip down the leagues. Easy to say oh well we can get back up again next season, but its just crazy to go down that road. We can just about hold our own in this division with a bit of luck going our way, but.......

...it would be very hard to survive long term in L2 or worse with a quarter full stadium, the first season is always going to be good at Falmer wherever we are, but people just simply are not going to renew season tickets if the product is poor, against similarly poor teams, I've been a firm believer of that for many years, and the problem is just intensified when you look at how many of us are facing up to changes in lifestyle because of the economic situation.

We have to do everything we can to stay in this division, everyone bangs on about how shit Dick Knight is, but he has protected the club for a long time from dodgy aproaches and those who do not have the accumen to run a provincial football club with no ground, the board have pretty much always been in control of the clubs regardless of what anyone thinks, playing to 6000 crowds at Falmer week in week out in L2 (or worse) would see the club spiral up debts in no time at all, and leave it exposed to those who may not have the club and fans best interests at heart.

Its actually scary when you do the most simplest of maths, relegation cannot be an option!

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
It would be a disastrous; the combination of funding a stadium with crowds plummeting could threaten the club's existence.

jkw

Oct 19, 2008
Ok, so no-one really wants to see their team relegated, and I'm not sure what it will mean financially. Perhaps getting promoted, or finishing in a play off place in League 2 next season, and generally playing well, therefore more people paying to watch live, etc. could even be better financially than finishing 20th this season, and then struggling again next. I'm not sure.

But relegation could mean a whole new start. New manager, new team, new confidence. All in good time for Falmer.

Just a thought. Discuss.

Can't believe you have the nerve to put this thread on here, any person who settles for relegation when only one point, yes one point from current safety is no true Albion supporter I have supported this club through thick and thin for 45 years and don't forget the players read all this and what message are you sending them, now behave or shut up

TonyW

Feb 11, 2004
Ok, so no-one really wants to see their team relegated, and I'm not sure what it will mean financially. Perhaps getting promoted, or finishing in a play off place in League 2 next season, and generally playing well, therefore more people paying to watch live, etc. could even be better financially than finishing 20th this season, and then struggling again next. I'm not sure.

But relegation could mean a whole new start. New manager, new team, new confidence. All in good time for Falmer.

Just a thought. Discuss.

Don't be silly!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Do you really expect me to explain why?

There are 2 teams in this league who are complete and utter turd (Cheltenham and Hereford), with Orient, Crewe and Swindon being the worst of the rest.

If you had said to me at the start of the season we would be scrapping for our lives with these 5 teams I would have laughed at the thought.

OK we don't have a fantastic squad, but certainly a team capable of mid-table obscurity at the very least. For us to be in this position is nothing short of a disgrace.

If, heaven forbid, we do get relegated, how many people do you think will seriously consider renewing their season tickets? Yes the club will always have those 2,000 die hards who will renew no matter what, but attendances in League Two would dwindle considerably. Can the board really afford to be losing hundreds of thousands of Pounds in revenue?

I couldn't care less about winning games against Burton, Grimsby, Bury, Morecambe, Darlington (shall I go on?). I want the Albion to be playing at the highest level possible, and the thought of getting relegated is unthinkable. How anyone can think getting relegated is a good thing is beyond me. We got relegated 3 years ago, and look where we are now. Who's to say if we go down to League Two the same won't happen again?

So in my opinion, getting relegated will be a catastrophe, not just because we will be playing teams listed above, but financially I have no idea where relegation would leave us.

I know I've gone on a bit, but just my thoughts on the subject. I'm sure I'll get a fair share of people telling me I'm a knob, but I can guarantee there are a lot of people who share my opinion.

Agree whole-heartedly.

The club is regularly quoting the fact that they want and NEED to be in The Championship when we move to Falmer. Relegation to L2 this season would require us to then go on to back-to-back promotions to achieve the club's aim.

Yes I would rather we were in a L2 promotion battle next season than another turgid season like this in L1, but the fact is we could easily NOT be challenging for promotion in L2 next season anyway....or we could be on fire regardless of division i.e L1 please!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
If we go down it is the end. The end. The club will be no more.

A slight exaggeration, but it won't do the club any good!

Let's face it, we need to get 12,000 for every home game to break even. With the exception of the first season at Falmer, do people really think we would get that many a week in League Two?

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
How on earth could relegation be a good thing? We would lose more money, our best players and probably be fighting to stay in the league next season.

We need to scrap to get out of this. We have the players, we just need the passion and belief.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I put no way but not because we belong higher than League 2. All things considered I think we have done really well to remain out of League 2 having been at Withdean for so long.

However, I do think that relegation would be a disaster. How many of our players would go if we went down. Off the top of my head, there is a fair chance that the following players would go:

Sullivan, Whing, Elphick, Virgo, Lynch, McNulty, Carole, Jarrett, Birchall, Murray, Davies

There may also be more that I have forgotten. That would leave us with players like Hart and Mayo being kept on probably and the rest being youngsters and new signings. I have no doubt that relegation would be a disaster and deprive us of some really good young players.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A slight exaggeration, but it won't do the club any good!

Let's face it, we need to get 12,000 for every home game to break even. With the exception of the first season at Falmer, do people really think we would get that many a week in League Two?

We would only get 12000 for a few games before the novelty wore off if we were in the 4th division, it would probably average nearer 6000, ie huge loss. We need to be at the top of league one or the championship to have any chance of averaging 12000.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Perhaps getting promoted, or finishing in a play off place in League 2 next season, and generally playing well, therefore more people paying to watch live, etc.

Perhaps getting promoted, or finishing in a play off place in League 1 next season might be a better idea.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
It would be a catastrophe with our new stadium so close.

Is the correct answer.

ps May I just add that we don't belong higher than League 2: no club has a divine right to be in any division. Whatever happens - come the end of the season - will be exactly what we deserve.

Exiled in Indooroopilly

I found this spoon sir
Feb 12, 2009
There is no divine right to bounce back. Ask Southampton and Charlton. And Torquay and Oxford. You need to fight tooth and nail to stay where you are and fight another season. Imagine new manager new signings and we lose at home to Rotherham on a sunny August afternoon. The pressure will just be too much and Friday Ad Holdings will be forced to resign as Chairman.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Doing well in League 2 against struggling in League 1 = big fish in small pond = better results + better crowds + feelgood factor + less moaning idiots on here.

mate , time to get out more !!

the day the amount of idiots on here affects how well I want the Albion to do on the pitch then I know I've clearly taken a wrong turn in life

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Sometimes, you need to go backwards to go forwards....

In theory, it would be a nightmare to drop back into league 2. But in reality, I don't think it would be an absolute disaster, life would go on and we'd have new places to visit! Well, I would. The Bournemouth derby would be back on, for one thing. I wouldn't be too pissed off if we got relegated, I don't think we should though, I see no reason why we should have to be relegated to recover from the slump of this season. But if it happens, it happens, and life will go on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here