Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Refinery strikes

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I am sure they would be thinking differently if they were in the same position.

Certainly another nail in Brown's coffin.This is what the BNP are fighting for and why people are turning to them.This must be music to there ears.:ascarf:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Jesus christ,whats the matter with some of you on here.Foreign contractors are winning contracts over here and bringing there own cheap labour over and shitting on the British worker.Brown Has caused this problem.Haven't got a problem with Foreign contractors as long as the British people get first priority for jobs and a reasonable wage.
I'm praying this is a start of something big.

I don't know how you could legally enforce that without contravene EU Employment law.

Protectionism is a long way from where the current legislation stands, and employers are not allowed to predujice on the basis of nationality, and that applied to these foreign contractors. If they have contravened that then they will be in big trouble.

However, if they have merely sourced the cheapest or best labour they can, then I don't see there is anything that can be done about it, and nor should there be.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
This is what the BNP are fighting for and why people are turning to them.

Unfortunately that is absolutely true, and why I hope your previous comment about this being the start of something big is incorrect, because that "something big" could just be something very disgusting, with the BNP at the forefront.

How unfortunate if we were to tumble down that gutter just as the USA are leaving their rather shameful prejudices behind them.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
I don't know how you could legally enforce that without contravene EU Employment law.

Protectionism is a long way from where the current legislation stands, and employers are not allowed to predujice on the basis of nationality, and that applied to these foreign contractors. If they have contravened that then they will be in big trouble.

However, if they have merely sourced the cheapest or best labour they can, then I don't see there is anything that can be done about it, and nor should there be.

Well i'm affraid other EU nations have a legalisation put in place to protect there own people.Time for Britain to follow suit.

Yeah - I'm with you...Who needs the Unions and their silly ideals like a minimum wage, safety in the work place, allowing women to work and financially supporting members who've lost their jobs because of the ultra rich fat cats have f*cked up AGAIN.

And while we're at it...Why not closedown schools and make children earn a living like in the good old days when they used to be up chimneys...

Yeah - What have the Trade Unions ever done for us :censored:

They certainly didn't set up schools!!!

All trade unions do is change who has to take the hit when problems occur. Instead of it being the 'poor little defenseless worker' it is the 'evil fat cat corperations' that suffer when sales are down and there's no money left. Then they wonder why the company they work for went bust!

Ford had the right idea (I'm not sure if they do this any more); he paid his workers above the going rate, and provided them with staff rooms, etc and said they couldn't join a union as a condition of employment.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

Thats why the European super state is the enemy. When they dictate to us who we can and cannot employ. Of course something can be done about it. People all over the world are fighting back against the evils of globalisation. Capitalism is going the same way as communism.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
They certainly didn't set up schools!!!

All trade unions do is change who has to take the hit when problems occur. Instead of it being the 'poor little defenseless worker' it is the 'evil fat cat corperations' that suffer when sales are down and there's no money left. Then they wonder why the company they work for went bust!

Ford had the right idea (I'm not sure if they do this any more); he paid his workers above the going rate, and provided them with staff rooms, etc and said they couldn't join a union as a condition of employment.

Is that the same Ford who supported Hitler

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Unfortunately that is absolutely true, and why I hope your previous comment about this being the start of something big is incorrect, because that "something big" could just be something very disgusting, with the BNP at the forefront.

How unfortunate if we were to tumble down that gutter just as the USA are leaving their rather shameful prejudices behind them.

Sorry to disappoint mate but i'm praying for mass demo's nationwide.I started to giver up with people in this country who seem to have lost there backbone for years.Enough is enough.

Jesus christ,whats the matter with some of you on here.Foreign contractors are winning contracts over here and bringing there own cheap labour over and shitting on the British worker.Brown Has caused this problem.Haven't got a problem with Foreign contractors as long as the British people get first priority for jobs and a reasonable wage.
I'm praying this is a start of something big.

What I never understand about this viewpoint is how it is that the foreign workers that come to these shores manage to survive on these 'unreasonable' wages, which apparently is completely beyond any British worker.

Is that the same Ford who supported Hitler

Haha. I take it this isn't a serious response? Are you honestly saying that none of his ideas had any merit because he was a Nazi sympathiser? This is the man that implemented the production line, and invented the idea of franchises. But apparently it should all be abandoned as being evil because of his political beliefs. Brilliant.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire

So you think it is disgusting that the British people have a party that defends their interests. The same way as the Blacks in America voted for Obama

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sorry to disappoint mate but i'm praying for mass demo's nationwide.I started to giver up with people in this country who seem to have lost there backbone for years.Enough is enough.

I agree in many ways, but my fear is how this is achieved without the BNP forcing their way to the front.

Standing up for your country, for British people for our right to celebrate our national identity, existence and practises is something we don't do nearly enough. Anyone who wants to come over and live here, are welcome, but join in, accept what you are signing up for whether that's a Christian Christmas, or that we eat pigs, or that we fly the St. Georges cross because we are proud to be English, if it offends you don't move here. Move here and then trying to get us to change is not acceptable.

BUT, my concern is that if this is born out of furious demostrations and confrontation, then that will inevitably see the BNP leading the charge, and that just makes all the good intentioned defence of our British identity get forever inter-linked with their bare-faced racism.

On the original issue of the thread though, you seem to agree that legislation would need to change first, which is my point about our workers tackling an issue by an old-fashioned strike, doesn't help our reputation in a time where so many industries are already seeing foreign workers as a cheaper and more reliable workforce.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Haha. I take it this isn't a serious response? Are you honestly saying that none of his ideas had any merit because he was a Nazi sympathiser? This is the man that implemented the production line, and invented the idea of franchises. But apparently it should all be abandoned as being evil because of his political beliefs. Brilliant.

There is a point there that will not be lost on some people. Thats why it is brilliant. Just looking forward to the next anti BNP thread

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So you think it is disgusting that the British people have a party that defends their interests. The same way as the Blacks in America voted for Obama

I think the BNP are disgusting.

Their existance is anything but, as it's a key part of having free speech. "I disagree with what you have to say, but will fight to the death to protect your right to say it"

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What I never understand about this viewpoint is how it is that the foreign workers that come to these shores manage to survive on these 'unreasonable' wages, which apparently is completely beyond any British worker.
Not "beyond" as much as a retrograde step. An awful lot of migrant workers who come here to fill low paid positions a) do so temporarily and b) send what they do earn back home so it is never recycled back into the economy.

It saddens me that unions are held with such disdain by so many people in this country, although I suppose it must be said that in many case they have indeed brought it on themselves.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Strikes just drag the country down. While we were striking and on our arses after the second world war, coutries like Japan and Germany were working hard and overtook us. We used to be the richest country in the world, but because of the stupid strikes we lost all our industry and now our country is finished.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

Simple really because you have about ten living together in a 3 bedroom house.Why should British people live like that here?
The foreign worker will save his money up and go back home.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Not "beyond" as much as a retrograde step. An awful lot of migrant workers who come here to fill low paid positions a) do so temporarily and b) send what they do earn back home so it is never recycled back into the economy.

It saddens me that unions are held with such disdain by so many people in this country, although I suppose it must be said that in many case they have indeed brought it on themselves.
Spot on.

coventrygull

the right one
Jun 3, 2004
Bridlington Yorkshire
Strikes just drag the country down. While we were striking and on our arses after the second world war, coutries like Japan and Germany were working hard and overtook us. We used to be the richest country in the world, but because of the stupid strikes we lost all our industry and now our country is finished.

I don't think you can blame this countries demise on strikes. I think it was more down to bad management of our industries and lack of investment.

As for this current strike. This is about people fighting for their jobs in a recession. Who wouldn't do the same.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Who wouldn't do the same.

Me.

It's down to me to make myself employable, and I don't see how strikig would help my employer be able to afford me, or indeed show my employer that I'm the sort of worker he needs in a recession.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here