Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasons England won’t win the Euros…

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Straight forward...

England have never won a knockout game against a BIG side on foreign soil. Its not complicated

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I like this thread.

It predicts exactly what and where we do and will go wrong. So armed with this knowledge and foresight you'd imagine that it will temper expectations but I'm confident that the majority of people on this thread will all pile in when/if we get knocked out, acting like it's a shock or a calamity. Despite predicting it. and giving the reasons and historical precedents for it.

For those who want to enjoy the tournament and want to cling to a glimmer of hope and possibility England have the best player in the premier League, the best player in La Liga and a record shattering top scorer in the Bundesliga.

Any other nation that could boast that amongst their ranks would be considered worthy of respect. Not in England if you're a certain type of Englishman though.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Even if we’re 3-0 up in the final, we’ll contrive some way of messing it up.

As far as I’m concerned, being born in ‘78, England have won NOTHING. It’s embarrassing that we still harp on about ‘66.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I like this thread.

It predicts exactly what and where we do and will go wrong. So armed with this knowledge and foresight you'd imagine that it will temper expectations but I'm confident that the majority of people on this thread will all pile in when/if we get knocked out, acting like it's a shock or a calamity. Despite predicting it. and giving the reasons and historical precedents for it.

For those who want to enjoy the tournament and want to cling to a glimmer of hope and possibility England have the best player in the premier League, the best player in La Liga and a record shattering top scorer in the Bundesliga.

Any other nation that could boast that amongst their ranks would be considered worthy of respect. Not in England if you're a certain type of Englishman though.
Great post.

That's the bizarre combo when it comes to England on NSC.

So negative yet also so entitled at the same time - pick one.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I like this thread.

its the knockers getting in early. They've hated the recent success

Growing up our biggest issue was not being as technical. We have that now .

We are in the mix with the top sides , If we have some luck then we could win it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

We are in the mix with the top sides , If we have some luck then we could win it.
Rubbish. We couldn't even score a goal against Italy in 90 mins.

Knockers or realists?

I hope we can win it, but don't expect us to.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Great post.

That's the bizarre combo when it comes to England on NSC.

So negative yet also so entitled at the same time - pick one.
Yes, I’m negative about England but entitled? I don’t f***ing think so, I know we’ll get beat when the chips are down and I expect it.

I would love the FA to employ a genuinely good football manager over a pliable yes man when Southgate goes, then I would be very enthusiastic as there is no doubt we have some amazing players.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006

Don’t think anyone has hated the success that we have had have they? They have hated being rolled over and being beaten in the latter stages when we could probably have won if we’d had a manager capable of competing with the best, we have certainly had the players (whether they were picked or not is a moot point)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Straight forward...

England have never won a knockout game against a BIG side on foreign soil. Its not complicated
If you ignore the fact we won the 2nd leg of the 1968 Euro quarter-final in Spain 2-1 and focus on straight single game knockout ties vs. an elite nation at the time on foreign soil then we are 0-14. The defeats are as follows:

1954 Uruguay Q/F
1962 Brazil Q/F
1968 Yugoslavia S/F
1970 West Germany Q/F
1986 Argentina Q/F
1990 West Germany S/F
1998 Argentina L/16
2002 Brazil Q/F
2004 Portugal Q/F
2006 Portugal Q/F
2010 Germany L/16
2012 Italy Q/F
2018 Croatia S/F
2022 France Q/F

Nicks

W

hat success have England had since 1966 ?
The trophy cabinet is empty bar 1966

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Straight forward...

Yep, to win it we’d probably have to beat at least two of Italy, France and Germany. Then there’s Spain, Portugal and Belgium.

If we get out of the group and do ok I’ll be happy. If we keep scoring we might be alright. If we rely on the defence we won’t.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here