Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasons England won’t win the Euros…

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Don’t think anyone has hated the success that we have had have they? They have hated being rolled over and being beaten in the latter stages when we could probably have won if we’d had a manager capable of competing with the best, we have certainly had the players (whether they were picked or not is a moot point)
we lost on pens in one final

we missed a pen to take it to ET against the best in the world in the last tournament

You need luck but we are well in the mix.

Enjoy the ride

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
we lost on pens in one final

we missed a pen to take it to ET against the best in the world in the last tournament

You need luck but we are well in the mix.

Enjoy the ride
This.

It annoys me so much that people talk as if we were trounced 3-0 by Italy and France. It's utter bollocks. Both games came down to very small margins against sides with huge pedigree in major tournaments.

I was particularly enthused by the performance against France, where we grew into the game and absolutely didn't hide or try to be overly conservative against them. We were simply beaten by a better team.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Straight forward...

England have never won a knockout game against a BIG side on foreign soil. Its not complicated
To add to this…..

1. It’s incredibly difficult to win an international tournament without winning a penalty shoot-out.
2. Penalty shoot-outs are all ‘in the head’ at this level. Most England players would score 95/100 with no pressure.
3. England don’t win penalty shoot-outs mainly because of our astonishing amount of historical losses. This creates a pressure that most players carry, even if it’s subconscious. It’s a part of our game and national psyche, imbedded for centuries I’d imagine.
4. Southgate’s conservative and defensive instincts mostly result in a penalty shoot-out. Out opposition always knows that they have won if they can get us to penalties giving them a huge psychological boost in the shootout.
5. There is no point supporting England if you are are hoping for them to win a tournament. Best to lend them your support to see the goals or to just enjoy the brilliant tournament atmospheres abroad (the last one excluded).

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Brilliant this comment , proper lazy comment.

Soon as we beat one the haters just say wasnt a big country , wasnt a decent side

repeat

Perhaps you can back this up by telling me what was the last big country with a decent side, in your opinion, that we beat in a Euro or World tournament?

It’s not a case of being a hater, am I an Albion hater by being willing to put my neck on the line and say we won’t win a cup every season because we will get beaten by a bigger and better club, or even a shit one, on the way?

Last edited:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
If you ignore the fact we won the 2nd leg of the 1968 Euro quarter-final in Spain 2-1 and focus on straight single game knockout ties vs. an elite nation at the time on foreign soil then we are 0-14. The defeats are as follows:

1954 Uruguay Q/F
1962 Brazil Q/F
1968 Yugoslavia S/F
1970 West Germany Q/F
1986 Argentina Q/F
1990 West Germany S/F
1998 Argentina L/16
2002 Brazil Q/F
2004 Portugal Q/F
2006 Portugal Q/F
2010 Germany L/16
2012 Italy Q/F
2018 Croatia S/F
2022 France Q/F
Really is a shocking record of dismal failure on the road.

Wembley games are the only exception in modern history

Not to mention the Covid safe zone in a 2/3 full stadium in 2021

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Perhaps you can back this up by telling me what was the last big country with a decent side, in your opinion, that we beat in a Euro or World tournament?

It’s not a case of being a hater, am I an Albion hater by being willing to put my neck on the line and say we won’t win a cup every season because we will get beaten by a bigger and better club, or even a shit one, on the way?
We beat Croatia , Germany and Denmark at the last euros mate !

We also got to the semis of the nations league winning in Spain and beating Croatia

Give this group a chance . History doesn’t decide the results

Get behind the lads .

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here