Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Reasonble punishment for anyone playing or singing a long with "Freed from Desire"?

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
What people want to do after their team win is to join in with a good old knees up in order to celebrate. This requires songs that have a suitable rhythm, is commonly recognised and many know the chorus of.

I resent that some prick in a DJ booth decides which songs these are, I would much rather it happened organically. But at the Amex that would just be a couple of bars of "Albion" and then we would all shuffle off home.

We have lost the art of crowd singing due to stadium sound systems imposing their will on us like some North Korean thought police activity.

So, I guess yeah, keep blaring out the same songs and leave us to giggle as our imaginations take another bashing.
Let’s be realistic here, the vast majority of fans piss off asap at the final whistle (or before) to get a pint in, catch a train, P&R bus, or monorail - delete accordingly. There was never any post match musical razzmatazz at the Goldstone or Withdean. Anyway, what knees-up music would you suggest? You can bet your bottom dollar that someone or more would object to your choice.

As the French would say “Plus ca change, plus c’est la meme chose”. Merci. :drink:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If folk can clap to SbtS, then Freed from Desire is small fry.
This. Could NSC ever be a big enough influence to phase out the demented seals response to our magnificent anthem...??

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Gala - Freed From Desire was the first CD I ever bought. So, hearing it played to death and nothing else, just brings back nostalgic memories for me!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What I don't get, is that song, without looking it up, was early 90s. I'm pretty sure it was on some mix albums I had

Then it went away for, what 25 years. Until Northern Ireland fans found it fitted quite well then it caught on again. That's a long time. The rights holders probably can't believe their luck

That time of not having it inflicted at every sporting event, I now remember quite fondly.

Praise you please after an Albion victory
Yep. The people that wrote it must be absolutely loving life at the moment.

I think Praise You would be crap after the game personally. It's not upbeat enough.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I always want to be sniffy about it, but then when we win and you see the kids pogoing to it in the stadium at the end with unbridled joy on their faces it's impossible not to get into it in the moment.

I've got much bigger problems with the generic dirge they play at the start - sweet caroline and hey jude and all that. It's like every premier league team have bought the joint rights to Costa Del Sol Nightz Karaoke CD from the 90s.
Exactly this. It works really well, regardless of whether you like the track or not in the heat of the moment after a win. Where as the stuff before the game is awful.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think Praise You would be crap after the game personally. It's not upbeat enough.
Well, we had it for a number of years, to the point that I still associate it with cheering the lads off after a good performance

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Well, we had it for a number of years, to the point that I still associate it with cheering the lads off after a good performance
I don't remember thousand of people bouncing up and down and singing it after a win though?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I've got into FFD even though I roll my eyes when the opening bars come on. Marseille at home in particular. Plus my lad loves it, So I'm more than prepared to put up with it.

The bigger issue I have is that is it being used everywhere. Trying to exit Spurs after a 2-1 loss in the dying seconds? Der, Der Der....Der, Der, Der. My love has got no money.....Then you realise how much you actually hate it in the wrong circumstances.

In Rome, A Lazio fan was showing me videos when they won and no surprise for guessing what the song was. Come on. Someone, Somewhere must have some imagination for something different?

On the flip side, Goal music seems to have disappeared?

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
Gala - Freed From Desire was the first CD I ever bought. So, hearing it played to death and nothing else, just brings back nostalgic memories for me!
My first CD was "Aquarium" from Aqua. Would I be nostalgic if I heard "Barbie Girl" eight times a day? No. I'd be either suicidal or genocidal, don't wanna find out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here