Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Reasonble punishment for anyone playing or singing a long with "Freed from Desire"?

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022
So a thread by a random bloke in Sweden who’s never been to an Albion game and has no idea of the culture of football here gets taken seriously and has 7 pages of replies. We’re better than this 🙄

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
How about ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’ ?

I watched the highlights on MoTD and by the time the winner was scored the stadium looked half empty.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
So a thread by a random bloke in Sweden who’s never been to an Albion game and has no idea of the culture of football here gets taken seriously and has 7 pages of replies. We’re better than this 🙄
The song is played in every f***ing stadium, it has nothing to do with the football culture in England, because the hype around this generic shite song a short global pop/football fad.

Fans from every club obviously love this song, or it wouldn't be played everywhere. But that in itself does makes it soulless.

Its possible to hate hearing "Freed from Desire" eight times a day without attacking someones culture, bit like how someone can say "Oops! I Did It Again" is a shit song without it being some sort of attack on the human species.

If you read the thread, it sounds like society, football and Brighton & Hove Albion was a complete and utter misery, until Hollywood revived this song in "Sunderland til I Die" and every f***ing club made it their anthem. Halleluja.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The song is played in every f***ing stadium, it has nothing to do with the football culture in England, because the hype around this generic shite song a short global pop/football fad.

Fans from every club obviously love this song, or it wouldn't be played everywhere. But that in itself does makes it soulless.

Its possible to hate hearing "Freed from Desire" eight times a day without attacking someones culture, bit like how someone can say "Oops! I Did It Again" is a shit song without it being some sort of attack on the human species.

If you read the thread, it sounds like society, football and Brighton & Hove Albion was a complete and utter misery, until Hollywood revived this song in "Sunderland til I Die" and every f***ing club made it their anthem. Halleluja.
It’s a Wigan Athletic song. Started by some bloke in his bedroom and then picked up by Northern Ireland fans who sung it across France at Euro 2016. It was born as an extremely organic, fan based thing.

If Sunderland til I Die had its way then every team would be coming out to Sandstorm by Darude. Make everything “a bit Ibiza”.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It’s a Wigan Athletic song. Started by some bloke in his bedroom and then picked up by Northern Ireland fans who sung it across France at Euro 2016. It was born as an extremely organic, fan based thing.

If Sunderland til I Die had its way then every team would be coming out to Sandstorm by Darude. Make everything “a bit Ibiza”.
The Sunderland til I Die-episode where they signed Will Grigg was the cataclysm for the pandemic, despite the attention during 2016.
Of course it was born as an organic fan based thing (for Wigan/NI fans), hardly the case now.

I guess other clubs looked at it, thought "that looks like a good customer experience" and now its played everywhere - every league, probably every club, Olympics etc.

Clearly it works and its very practical. If every club has the exact same favorite song, there's no need to learn lyrics etc.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The Sunderland til I Die-episode where they signed Will Grigg was the cataclysm for the pandemic, despite the attention during 2016.
Of course it was born as an organic fan based thing (for Wigan/NI fans), hardly the case now.

I guess other clubs looked at it, thought "that looks like a good customer experience" and now its played everywhere - every league, probably every club, Olympics etc.

Clearly it works and its very practical. If every club has the exact same favorite song, there's no need to learn lyrics etc.
Think you’re wildly overestimating the reach of Sunderland til I Die here… it was a thing post the Euros in 2016 at almost every club.

Mitro was on fire well before Will Grigg joined Sunderland

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
We need to go back to Praise You or something with a local connection, we're all sick of Freed from Desire.
We’re not ALL sick of Freed from Desire.
It’s not up there with my favourite songs but it’s a celebration at full time of a win.

They can play the f****g birdie song for all I care if we win at home :thumbsup: :smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

No it wasn’t.

Everyone here knew the Wigan version.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
How about ‘Don’t Leave Me This Way’ ?

I watched the highlights on MoTD and by the time the winner was scored the stadium looked half empty.

No we aren’t 🤦‍♂️

That video proves that the stadium wasn’t anywhere near half empty, unless everyone rushed back in when Pedro scored knowing they’d miss out on Freed from Desire otherwise.

Shaktarman

Sep 19, 2022

Couldn’t be more wrong. Was a Wigan song for Will Grigg.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Name and shame. The twatty German fistpumping can do one too...
That video proves that the stadium wasn’t anywhere near half empty, unless everyone rushed back in when Pedro scored knowing they’d miss out on Freed from Desire otherwise.
Great advantage of kick off time meaning very few people need to get away promptly. Combined with match events must set a hard to beat "% fans still in ground 3 mins after final whistle" .....?

HillBarnTillIDie

Jul 2, 2011
We’re not ALL sick of Freed from Desire.
It’s not up there with my favourite songs but it’s a celebration at full time of a win.

They can play the f****g birdie song for all I care if we win at home :thumbsup: :smile:
And thats the point. No need to play a record that everyone is playing… and all the time.

Brilliant! Why not play the birdy song… Makes more sense being the club’s nickname is the Seagulls (I know seagull its not technically a type of bird).
And what a send off to the away side fans who would have just seen their team lose..

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
And thats the point. No need to play a record that everyone is playing… and all the time.

Brilliant! Why not play the birdy song… Makes more sense being the club’s nickname is the Seagulls (I know seagull its not technically a type of bird).
And what a send off to the away side fans who would have just seen their team lose..
That would have been hilarious :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here