Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
There won’t be any punishments.

The clubs attempted a breakaway after taking legal advice, two days later it collapsed.

The EPL and CL/EL needs their global followings (plus Tottenham) for viewing figures, TV money, basically money.

Next season this will be seldom mentioned, apart from Teams Like Brighton having a few banners and chants.

Sky, BT and BBC are invested in portraying the EPL as a positive product, the centre of our universe. The normal order will resume.

Rightly or wrongly, all of this.
Hopefully, though, the clubs have taken note of the unanimous negative response from fans.
Maybe that’s the driver to them pulling out? We may never know.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I think the best punishment would be to take away their power until legislation is changed so this never happens again.

Take away their voting rights in the PL until such time there are rules in place that the owners of the clubs are never allowed to do anything like this again.

A fine is great in principle but will just be clawed back via the fans anyway.

Take away their voice and their ability to push and bully the PL

That is a brilliant and fitting idea.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

Let’s have friendly a REMF bet.

I think the EPL won’t punish the 6 at all.

I won’t take that bet.. I agree that’s a real possibility. Or will be like a warning or such.

It really shouldn’t be though. There should be a deterrent.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Suspending voting rights is a good idea. But what about actually implementing FFP and/or implementing measures that stop clubs getting into such debt. That was one of the causes of all this. Plus, it should be obvious that the 'elite clubs' proposed change to the CL should be scrapped.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Nothing will happen soon and then it will be slowly forgotten due to the season ending, the Euros and a new season in front of fans, at which point there will be minor punishments, probably overturned on appeal.

What I would like to see as a minimum is that the individuals involved are banned from football for a number of years and a transfer ban for the clubs for a couple of seasons.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Just heard Paul Barber being probed by Gary Richardson on Radio 4, he didn't want to get drawn on this. Does seem the other 14 are proper pissed about what went on with the big 6

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Nothing will happen. This will be due to the fact that both the PL and UEFA are actually relieved it folded so fast.
However, things will happen internally. Woodward’s leaving Utd, FSG will accelerate looking for a new buyer and a host of directors will be moving on.
As o lover of the Reds and Brighton, I truly see the need for each other in today’s game. I love the fact that on their day we can turn over the so called big clubs and as a Red I really enjoy the anxiety of the banana skins if that makes sense.
Perhaps it will lead to some positive changes in the ECL... how about only the league winners competing that would be novel!
Anyway, the real positives are that in the end the fans of ALL clubs came through, and hopefully some of the leeches we have acquired will move on.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This only happened because the "Dirty Dozen" were allowed to get into unsustainable debt and saw this 'highway robbery' as the only solution to pay off some debt.

Teams that offer players wages of half a million a week deserve little sympathy for putting the survival of their clubs in jeopardy.
Many of the clubs (particularly Real Madrid and Inter Milan) will be getting final demand bills dropping through their letterboxes any day now.

The transfer market will be hammered and owners across the world will be very nervous of increasing their liabilities.

Welbeck and Maupay it is for next season then, and maybe one from France's equivalent shop to Poundland. (€uroland?)

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
The proposed contract was 177 pages long, this wasn’t something that was dreamed up overnight. They have planned this, and lied about it to everyone.
They signed this contract, they knew exactly what they were doing. Perhaps less of a punishment for City and Chelsea cos they bottled it first, but, there had to be consequences.

Had they signed the contract, or were they about to? I’ll have to speak to my daughter, who happens to be a lawyer, about what repercussions there would (might) be for those involved. This could all be very messy and unpleasant for those clubs, and I will watch on with glee.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
This only happened because the "Dirty Dozen" were allowed to get into unsustainable debt and saw this 'highway robbery' as the only solution to pay off some debt.

Teams that offer players wages of half a million a week deserve little sympathy for putting the survival of their clubs in jeopardy.
Many of the clubs (particularly Real Madrid and Inter Milan) will be getting final demand bills dropping through their letterboxes any day now.

The transfer market will be hammered and owners across the world will be very nervous of increasing their liabilities.

Welbeck and Maupay it is for next season then, and maybe one from France's equivalent shop to Poundland. (€uroland?)

They won’t like it as it’s not as easy and doesn’t guarantee success. But maybe the dirty dozen should have a more sustainable club model... as we do.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Should the Premier league give them an increased slice of the Premier cash to keep them on board and help fund their massive losses? Assuming this will be their next request. :moo:

They’ve clearly brought the game into disrepute, points deduction and if they can’t manage their money in the current system, then they’re not fit and proper persons to run a football club, and should be made to sell, preferably to supporters trusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

You can see why Liverpool, or their US owners, signed up. They’ve had 3 years of CL runners up, CL winners, PL winners and now nothing & face a prospect of no CL next season. They need to rebuild their squad like all the best teams do but have no money. This European concept of qualifying & relegation really does suck :blush:

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The proposed contract was 177 pages long, this wasn’t something that was dreamed up overnight. They have planned this, and lied about it to everyone.
They signed this contract, they knew exactly what they were doing. Perhaps less of a punishment for City and Chelsea cos they bottled it first, but, there had to be consequences.

I agree. However I'd be happy with no official punishment IF (and it's a really big, perhaps impossible 'if') they acknowledge, really acknowledge by deeds not words, that there is more to football than big clubs. Yeah sure, they are the big draw in the PL. Nobody in Asia wants to see Brighton v Burnley, and the Big Six are the reason that we enjoy a vast income from the football broadcasters. But as the last few days have proved, nobody, not even the fans of the big clubs themselves, want to see them constantly playing each other in a glorified version of Harlem Globetrotters games.

So I'd like them to acknowledge that the football ecosystem contains big and small clubs, and these exist in a symbiotic relationship. Having small clubs like us come from one match away from dropping out of the league to playing Chelsea on a regular basis is part of football's magic. And importantly: to be able to compete with them and perhaps beat them. The result shouldn't be a foregone conclusion otherwise it becomes even more of a Harlem Globetrotters exhibition game where you know the other team are going to lose. A one-sided thrashing would be just as boring as risk-free superleague game.

So having acknowledged the existence and importance of the football ecosystem I'd hope they'd agree to a more equitable distribution of wealth rather than saying "People only want to see us so we deserve all the money."

If FIFA,Uefa,the EPL do nothing, maybe the government can. You can be fined for wasting police time, maybe they can be fined for wasting the PMs time, who I'm sure had some other, more important things that he could have been doing since Sunday?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'd accept no punishment whatsoever if it meant the 50+1 rule was implemented instead.

That is a far more important development that needs to happen IMO. We can't continue to allow this situation where foreign owners with no morals continue to run what are national institutions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here