Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

you can refer to the regulation broken? there will be the schedule of permissible sanctions too.

as far as i can tell they never got as far as actually establishing a tournament. somewhere theres a twitter laughing at this very point, all they had was a loan repayment plan.

Irrelevant. They put this out without any approval from the PL. a breach of the rules:
https://thesuperleague.com/press.html

They will be punished in some capacity and rightly so. How extreme is unknown. I sadly suspect they won’t be punished enough.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
and lets also reflect on what damage has been done. a proposal made, 3 days of headlines, in which nothing really changed, except the reputation of some clubs and their owners. it might lead to a few unpopular owners leaving, and give the authorities a kick up the arse on governance. just being realistic, rather than scream for punishment then be disappointed, attention and focus is better spent on what changes for the future.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Pie in the sky, there won't be any meaningful punishment imo.

They'll probably offer to play the rest of this seasons home fixtures behind closed doors and then ask if they can come off the naughty step.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think we should brush it under the carpet and hope everyone just forgets what they tried to do and it goes back to how it was before. Sorry, I mean that's what I think will happen.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I listened to Souness say he didn’t support any punishment cos it only hurts the fans and players.

Tell that to Bury, Luton, etc.

3 years CL ban and 20 points deduction next season.

There has to be consequences.

If there is no punishment, they will try something similar in the next 5 years.

But there’s always been one rule for the rich, one rule for the poor even if it’s only better lawyers.

I’m afraid I see nothing but a carefully worded scolding that will be hard to differentiate from a welcome back. And even that will probably be dismissed on appeal with whatever other sanctions are placed. Tonight feels like a won a battle not the war scenario. They’ll get their cake and eat it. Just you wait.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I think we should brush it under the carpet and hope everyone just forgets what they tried to do and it goes back to how it was before. Sorry, I mean that's what I think will happen.

It’s going to be more than likely!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Irrelevant. They put this out without any approval from the PL. a breach of the rules:
https://thesuperleague.com/press.html

They will be punished in some capacity and rightly so. How extreme is unknown. I sadly suspect they won’t be punished enough.

Let’s have friendly a REMF bet.

I think the EPL won’t punish the 6 at all.

JackB247

Sep 25, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's an attack on the English game that deserves punishment, but not to the point where competitiveness is taken out of the 21-22 PL season. On that basis I'd plump for £10m fine for each club, 10pt deduction and a one season European ban.

DavePage

Their players should be loaned to the remaining 14 teams for two years, with the wages being paid by the owners.
On the basis they will have zero points the 13th and 14th teams get relegated plus one of the 6 each year (drawn at the end of the season)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
I think the best punishment would be to take away their power until legislation is changed so this never happens again.

Take away their voting rights in the PL until such time there are rules in place that the owners of the clubs are never allowed to do anything like this again.

A fine is great in principle but will just be clawed back via the fans anyway.

Take away their voice and their ability to push and bully the PL

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Punishments don't work.

Personally I like the Burnley owner's idea of bringing in a regulator.

Auditing clubs to see they are sticking to FFP and investing in the club's infrastructure ove rfirst team wages would benefit the division.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm sure many on the board have real sympathy for the Big6 as they're just the latest victims of Cancel Culture

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The most reasonable punishment is to change football governance so that these foreign billionaires lose the ability to try a similar stunt in the future. Take away the possibility of selling out the rest of the game for big bucks. The alternatives of fines and points deductions only give short term satisfaction.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here