Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Reasonable punishment for the "Legacy Six" ?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Sorry I don’t buy this whole “hurting the fans” argument at all.

It’s one thing kicking a club when they’re down, but making success harder for a year or two or distributing a bit of cash around is exactly what’s needed after this IMO. This can’t be a “blimey remember that week” it needs to be a longer lasting lesson.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The biggest 'punishment' is the fans of the Big 6 knowledge that their clubs would sell them down the river. What will now take place is a potentially protracted exits by the owners, and if this doesn't happen a slow 'death by a thousand cuts' relationship between the fans and the owners. ( maybe City and Chelsea will escape the worse due to the previous level of investment into the clubs'. )
However, Liverpool and United in particular will now have very fractured clubs where you can see the owners wanting to exit. In that situation why would you, as an owner, invest in the club by way of a significant transfer kitty.
The most important penalty to impose will be the 'lack of trust' in their CEOs at committee level meaning so they have little influence in major decisions. They need to be on a very short rein.
Any big fine, points penalty, ban will just impact short term and will be seen as a penalty on the fans, which would be a PR disaster.
The best thing to come out of all this is that the whole football world has seen just how corrupt these owners are. They've shown their hand big time and now they will have to deal with the shame and the fall out, rather than move forwards without that burden like the other 14.

City and Chelsea owners will come out of this relatively unscathed, as their fans know that without them, they wouldn't be in the position of strength they are today. Fans of these two clubs will grumble away but ultimately do nothing and that is the cop out. They know their owners signed up to this and showed arrogance, insensitivity and contempt for fans but will forgive them and let them get away with it. They remember their struggling times and have now been feasting at the top table too long to want to risk giving it up. Sad and predictable.
As for United, Liverpool and Arsenal, things are different. They would all be powerful and at the top end of our game, irrespective of who owns them. A lot of their fanbase are not keen on the American ownership model and want rid. This is their chance. The owners and chief execs at these clubs will not be allowed to survive. They are all dead men walking. That leaves the mighty Tottenham, desperate for success, any success but always coming up short. So success for them is relative...a brand new state of the art ground. Levy is the figurehead but Lewis the majority shareholder. Like Chelsea and City, they will probably survive.
As for ' punishment '.......just.....never trust them on anything.....ever again. Never give them any headroom. Stifle them, strangle them, frustrate them and never let them get their way over anything. Move heaven and earth to try and restore some balance in football.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
You just know nothing of any significance will happen , the likely punishment if any would be a suspended 10 point deduction and a fine .

What else could they do in theory ?

1. Ban them from all European competitions for 2 seasons ( my favourite).

2. A league points deduction for next season .

3 . Huge fine ( proceeds to go to League 1 2 and a recognised sporting charity .

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Nobody seemed to give a shit about the fans when Luton, Leeds, Southampton, Sheffield Weds :lolol: Etc. Etc were deducted points for actions at boardroom level, why start now?

It wont happen but i would ban all of them from all Eufa competitions for as long as Eufa sees fit, seeing as it was a direct challenge to their competitions. Domestically, if 30 points deduction was good enough for Luton its good enough for all of these, would make next seasons relegation scrap interesting.

Ongoing i agree with bringing in some sort of governing watchdog and putting a ceiling on the amount of money each club can spend on both transfer fees and wages, this is what has caused this situation in the first place, time to put a stop to the greed from players and their agents and these measures must be put in place world wide.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I think a Champions League ban for a couple of seasons would be appropriate and universally supported.

Unfortunately the broadcasters won't sanction that, too many viewers around the globe follow United and Liverpool.

I don't know if the fact has changed in time, but it always was that Celtic had the most supporters club branches around the world, but Manchester United had the most supporters globally who were members of the Supporters Club.

About 20 years ago News International ran a competition in Thailand where the prize was a week in Manchester for two, corporate hospitality at United and a trip to Coronation Street, and the equivalent of over 65% of the male population submitted an entry.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm less concerned with them being punished and more concerned with them being prevented from doing so ever again.

What if the penalty is .... "expulsion from the Premier League ... suspended ....... should they sign a contract to play in a non authorised league in the next 20 years"

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The punishment to bestowed on Mr Perez should look to emulate that bestowed on the character Oliver V. Farmsworth in the cult classic ‘The Man Who Fell To Earth’.

Hopefully the knock on his head should bring him to his senses!

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
Now

Points deduction
2 year ban from European competitions
Very large fines to be shared equally to all teams in the pyramid.

If future - to stop the rich clubs getting richer especially the ESL top 6,

All TV money domestic and European to be shared equally to all teams in the pyramid.

No financial reward for placing in the league. A cup and European qualification for the club winning the league and European qualification for the next few places.

Last edited:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
I see that Perez has said that nobody has withdrawn from the ESL. They all signed contracts and they can't get out of them that easily. If this is the case there will be legal action all over the place and big damages to be paid. I also understand that one clause in this contract was that any club that backed-out after the league started would be faced with punitive damages (could be massive bearing in mind they were each getting a 300 million Euro signing on bonus). If that is the case then the fine by the PL/FA should match this amount - 400 million Euros each? That'll bring real tears to their eyes, not crocodile ones.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I see that Perez has said that nobody has withdrawn from the ESL. They all signed contracts and they can't get out of them that easily. If this is the case there will be legal action all over the place and big damages to be paid. I also understand that one clause in this contract was that any club that backed-out after the league started would be faced with punitive damages (could be massive bearing in mind they were each getting a 300 million Euro signing on bonus). If that is the case then the fine by the PL/FA should match this amount - 400 million Euros each? That'll bring real tears to their eyes, not crocodile ones.

You're right, however

a) Perez makes Donald Trump looks grounded and in touch with reality. You can't believe what he says
b) UEFA have basically bribed them to come back into the fold. I bet they are covered the cost of the contract
c) Who is the fine to? I don't think we know this yet? Is it to JP Morgan? Why, they haven't lost any money? More likely it's to each other. It would not surprise me if the more peripheral clubs, Chelsea, City etc are having to pay the fine to the ringleader clubs. I think this is why Madrid etc aren't pulling out, as they want to ensure this fine is paid.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Unfortunately the broadcasters won't sanction that, too many viewers around the globe follow United and Liverpool.

I don't know if the fact has changed in time, but it always was that Celtic had the most supporters club branches around the world, but Manchester United had the most supporters globally who were members of the Supporters Club.

About 20 years ago News International ran a competition in Thailand where the prize was a week in Manchester for two, corporate hospitality at United and a trip to Coronation Street, and the equivalent of over 65% of the male population submitted an entry.

Blimey, I never realised Gail Tyldesley was so popular in the far east.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
2 year European ban and 2 year transfer ban (incoming).
Immediate effect, thrown out of Europe this season.

No no no no NO!

Doing this brings the spectre of The Leeds United getting into the Champions League in their first season back in the PL. The fans would be *unbearable.

* (even more)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here